Aaagghh, not another lunatic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaagghh, not another lunatic!

Just received a death cert, and I now have a total of 9 ancestors who had mental health problems of various kinds: 4 in England (maternal line) and 5 in Australia (paternal line). 8 of them died in mental hospitals (the other one died in childbirth).

4 of the 9 either definitely or probably had what we now call Alzheimer's, 2 were locked away for the whole of their adult lives, and 2 more, a father and son, I'm not sure about; judging by the date when they disappear from the electoral roll they were probably in hospital for 20/30 years each, but as I'm probably not the closest living relative, I don't think I'll be allowed to access their files.

I was already a bit paranoid about getting Alzheimer's as my mum had it - the paranoia is now increasing rapidly

Mary, do try not to worry too much! Remember that people were put into mental institutions for the flimsiest of reasons in the past - e.g. women with post-natal depression.

However, I can understand that it is slightly unsettling to find members of your direct line in mental institutions.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It is a bit unsettling because I've read the files of two of the women, and they weren't mild cases by any means, poor things. There's even a very sad photo of one of them in her file.

Comment

That's really sad Mary.

Do you mind me asking if these were the medical records you looked at & found the photos in? I am hoping to get access to some medical records shortly & wondered what to expect.

Joanie

Comment

Mary....I wondered, did you manage to get the information on the relative that I tried for you in Derbyshire.
          Kathleen

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
            Do you mind me asking if these were the medical records you looked at & found the photos in?
            Yes, the file with the photo came from the Leicestershire Records Office. They allowed me to look at the original register of the Asylum, and photocopied the relevant pages for me.

Not all registers have survived for all hospitals, so if your relative was in and out of hospital, you may not get files covering all the admissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
              Mary....I wondered, did you manage to get the information on the relative that I tried for you in Derbyshire.
              Hi Kath,

I haven't applied for her medical records yet, because I've been so busy, but it's on my "to do" list.

Comment

Are the asylum records separate to the medical records then? Will I have to ask to see those as well?

The person was in an asylum for at least 20 years until their death by the way.

Thanks

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                  Are the asylum records separate to the medical records then?
                  No, it was the asylum records I meant. The lady Kath's talking about was a different one, whose records I haven't got yet.

My Emma was also in the asylum for many years - from 1901, when she was 33, till her death in 1931. She was admitted for the last time the day after one of her sisters got married, and never went home again.

She was my English grandfather's sister, and oddly enough, one of my Australian grandfather's sisters had an almost identical history.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 27-05-08, 15:20.

Comment

Mary

If it helps, I think you are the voice of sanity and reason on these boards.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks, Nell - I'll remind you of that next time I'm tearing my hair out

Comment

Bear in mind that I come from a line of lunatics on both sides of my family, so my words aren't worth much!!!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that

Comment

Mary it is unsettling isn't it? The last four generations in both my maternal and paternal line have suffered mental illness. Just don't let the past dominate the future.
                            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

No, you're right, of course. I thought I was getting used to the idea when I only had four of them, but nine!

But of course with modern treatments they probably wouldn't have spent all that time in the asylum. What a waste.

I have a heartbreaking letter on one of the files from my Australian great-auntie's sister to the asylum, asking if she can take her sister to the park on Wednesday if it's a nice day, because it was her day off, and promising to take very good care of her. The doctors gently wrote back to say they didn't think it was advisable at the moment.

Comment

Aww... whilst its nice that we are able to discover what happened in the lives of our ancestors, some things were very sad for them
                                Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                                X