Victorian Occupations - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Occupations - help please!

OH is researching a relation who lived in Dudley, Worcs.... and found his occupation in 1901 is an Inspector of M*****suances - just can't read it!
    Any ideas?

In 1891 he was a Stoveman - I've looked for that too, and can't find a description..... ?
    Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 26-05-08, 21:51.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Inspector of Nuisances - A person appointed to look into By-Law offences, such as noisy animals, foul smells, maybe fence disputes, things of that nature

Index of Old Occupations
    Elaine

Comment

Could it be Stoneman = Highway surveyor
      Elaine

Comment

LOL Elaine! We thought of that - then dismissed it as ridiculous - so thank you!
        Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

I know in the North East coal mines a Stover sometimes known as the Stovie was a man who was in charge of a group of surface workers. I suppose Stoveman could be the same in a different area.
          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Dorothy, I see you are asking why it has "moved" against your post - did you originally post it on another board, maybe, and someone moved it onto the right board?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

nudge for DB
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X