Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History of the Catholic church in this country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi JBee

Coton is on the B5027 near Milwich if you look on google maps http://maps.google.co.uk/maps

All those churches were built too late for the dates I need.

Comment

Margaret

Try this:"Roman Catholic churches" Staffordshire - Google Search

It is a list of current RC churches in Staffordshire, but you will find as you drill down through them, that they are all relatively modern. However, you can see from their patronage which RC parish/diocese they came under originally, and that may be the source for earlier records. Most appear to be under the RC diocese of Birmingham.

OC

Comment

OC

I looked through that earlier this morning. I think my answers lie in Birmingham. Perhaps I would get more luck if I visited the diocese office in person. They all seem too new for the dates I need.
        Another place to go in the future, one for the list.

I may still have the email addy of the person who sent me the original info, hopefully she hasn't changed it. I will ask her if she knows where they were baptised. Haven't heard from her in years though.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
          Hi JBee

Coton is on the B5027 near Milwich if you look on google maps http://maps.google.co.uk/maps

All those churches were built too late for the dates I need.

there is 2 coton one is in stafford as well brenda xxxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
            there is 2 coton one is in stafford as well brenda xxxx

Oh Bren, now you've confused me I don't know which one

They would probably both have had to go to Stafford for a RC church though I would think. There wouldn't be that many around then.

Comment

Margaret

You will not find many, if any Catholic Churches built much before 1829 and the Catholic Emancipation Act. Leniency towards the Catholic Church from 1750 onwards did not include building many churches before 1829. There are, however, Mass Centres, like the one I was talking about earlier in the thread. Where these were in Staffs I do not know, but you could try a google for "Catholic Mass Centres" + Staffordshire to see what may turn up for you.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 20-05-08, 17:29.

Comment

I think I may have found it.

St Austin's Roman Catholic Church - Stafford

the records start in 1788 and I think it's the right area.

Just need to get to Birmingham now.

Comment

then the records will be in william salt libaray stafford,where we go for our ancestry. thats were all documents are kept brenda xxxx
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-05-08, 17:54.

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                    then the records will be in william salt libaray stafford,where we go for our ancestry. thats were all documents are kept brenda xxxx
                    No Bren

All Catholic records are at the diocese in Birmingham, it says so on the A2A site.

Just C of E and non conformist in Stafford, I've been before.

Comment

If you look on my reply there's a phone number and email address for St Austin's.

You could ring or email and ask when their earliest records start and if there were any for the period you're interested in.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                        If you look on my reply there's a phone number and email address for St Austin's.

You could ring or email and ask when their earliest records start and if there were any for the period you're interested in.
                        I have emailed them JBee

Comment

I have emailed them JBee

email came back this morning MAILER-DAEMON mailbox not found

Comment

email came back this morning MAILER-DAEMON mailbox not found
                            Maybe they have lapsed??! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                              Maybe they have lapsed??! lol
                              You're on fine form this morning Merry

Comment

Afraid so - the directory was 2004.

Have just phoned and asked for their email address

staustins_rc@btinternet.com underscored before rc

might have to put some dots in but he didn't say

hope that's right - I didn't enquire as the priest sounded a bit harassed - he'd just come off the phone as it had been engaged previously!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Pushing up for Margaret

Comment

I have emailed the new addy JBee, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                    X