I.f.h.f.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.f.h.f.

Last night I was using the above site for County Down.I put in a name,date and Parish,and one name came up.It was a version of the name I was looking for.For some reason I clicked on a different Parish and the same name appeared. I tried this several times,but regardless of the Parish entered the results were the same.Today I tried the same thing with County Kildare,and the same thing happened.
    Either I am doing something wrong or they have got it wrong.
    Anyway,just trying to make people aware.
    Fran

Not sure what you mean Fran - but if it was a very common name, not surprising?!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There does seem to be a problem with all of the BRS Genealogy sites this weekend. The Antrim & Down site was working properly on Friday - I was able to narrow down search results by parish.

But yesterday and today it brings up the same number of results regardless of whether I specify a parish or not, and regardless of which parish I specify. I tried Cavan, Louth and Westmeath too and those sites appear to have the same problem at the moment (although Louth was working properly last week too).
      Sarah

Comment

But this is only of use if you have a parish.

I've just got a name - Callaghan McCarthy - and a lot of suspicions!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, you're right. It is only useful if you know the parish, which in my case I do.

I have just sent an e-mail to IFHF to inform them of the problem. Hope they fix it soon - I was on a roll on Friday! :D but am not about to start wasting money clicking on records without at least knowing they're in the right parish.
          Sarah

Comment

Nell, if you have any idea of the father's name, you could also try this site: Irish Genealogy Search Ireland, Irish Genealogy Search Ireland

This shows the same records, but with father's name. Using the two sites together it is sometimes possible to narrow by father's name as well as parish (if you know those 2 details that is).

EDIT - of course this only applies if you're looking for ancestors in Antrim/Down, as it is the Ulster Historical Foundation.
            Last edited by Cloggie; 18-05-08, 14:51.
            Sarah

Comment

Nell,
              Perhaps Cloggie explained it better than I did!If it was a common name,as you say,it is not surprising to get more than one result.I was looking for Rose Ann Trainor(various spellings)baptised about 1860.There was only one result-surname McCreanor.As no other siblings had this spelling I didn't think this was the right one.This was the only result regardless of which Parish I entered.
              I also mailed them.
              Fran

Comment

The Antrim & Down site seems to be working properly again, narrowing down search results by parish (I haven't checked any other counties yet). And IFHF have also credited 10 euros back to my account for duplicates that were incorrectly shown as separate records.
                Sarah

Comment

Working...
                X