Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going/can get into these University Libraries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone able to view the following:

on the link from hughar above

search for "George Hodson" on page 4 of the results a book called "From Sawdust to Windsor castle"

I can't get the book to load
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Zoe - you should be able to ask your local library to do an inter-library loan. I got a book from Newcastle University Library via Beds. Libraries for the princely sum of 50p. I was quite surprised - it was a modern privately published book currently retailing at over £200. They located a number of copies but Newcastle Uni. was the only one prepared to do a loan.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Live Search

Is this the right page?

]

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
          Is anyone able to view the following:

on the link from hughar above

search for "George Hodson" on page 4 of the results a book called "From Sawdust to Windsor castle"

I can't get the book to load
          I can load the book. It doesn't say much, just that his dau was Henrietta who married that MP bloke (Henry L)
          Also that George was at one time the manager of the "Bower" ("a sordid place of entertainment")

Does that mean this isn't the right George? Wasn't George b 1798ish Henrietta's grandfather?

Comment

Does that mean this isn't the right George?
            No, the Bower is one of Zoe's

Comment

I didn't mean completely the wrong George, just that he's a generation forward compared to the one we are looking for (I think)

Comment

The page before says that George Hodson was a once popular Irish Comedian.
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Merry,

It's a mass of confusion generally

You're right in the George c1798 was the father of George c1822 and grandfather of Henrietta

But not all the biographies and general accounts realise that there were two George Alfred's as both were singers who composed and appeared on stage doing Irish comedy characters.

George the grandfather (c1798) was the manager of the Apollo Saloon at teh Yorkshire STingo and then the Bower Saloon at the Duke's Tavern. He taught music in Dublin and had the shop at 108 Grafton Street.

George the father started out as a chorister at various churches and cathedrals in Dublin aged about 8 and was bought here by his father where he married another actress (Henrietta Noel) who gave borth to Henrietta in the orchestra pit of the Bower Saloon (allegedly)

I think, anyway. I have somewhere a transcription of a biography of Joseph A Cave that clarifies it very well as he worked for/with them.

Neither of these should be confused with Georgia (aka Georgina and Georgiana) Hodson daughter of 1798/sister of 1822 who was also a singer and went to America before settling in Australia

Phew *wipes brow*

Hoep you're all up to speed now

*wanders of for a lie down*
                  Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by hughar View Post
                    Zoe,
                    I tried looking for George Alfred Hodson on the LiveSearch Books site at Live Search and found just one reference in a biography of his daughter Georgia. It's page 178 of History of the American Stage, and the full book is available on the site.

Thought I'd mention it in case you've not seen it.
                    Thanks for that link, i've never used live search before but just found loads of Tushingham stuff i'd never seen before
                    Vikki -
                    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

aaaaaaaaah - but they may be right

If I'm thinking the book is about the right thing, that is

The George Hodson who performed for Queen Victoria was George 1822

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick about the book title
                      Zoe in London

Comment

I've just been experimenting - in the searches I've done the Google web search performs better than the Microsoft Live Search, but the Microsoft book search seems better than the Google book search because it mostly shows whole pages or books rather than snippets (so far).
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-05-08, 17:00.

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                          Hoep you're all up to speed now

*wanders of for a lie down*
                          Hmmmm........I could tell you about my Hornimans if you like

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            I've just been experimenting - in the searches I've done the Google web search performs better than the Microsoft Live Search, but the Microsoft book search seems better than the Google book search because it mostly shows whole pages or books rather than snippets (so far).
                            You can limit your Google book searches to whole books/ pages if you dont want to bother with snippets.

Beverley

Comment

Yes, I knew that - I don't limit them because some of the snippets contain really interesting information, and it's so frustrating when you can't get the rest of the page, whereas so far, with the Live Search, nearly all the hits I've found have allowed me to see the whole book.

The other annoying thing with the Google book search is that although the typewritten part always shows your search terms, they sometimes don't show up in the snippet image at all, presumably due to a software glitch.

Comment

If you only find a snippet at Google Books, it's often worth repeating the search at Live Search
                                or looking for the same book (by title) among the texts at Internet Archive

Comment

Yes, I shall certainly do that from now on, thanks.

Comment

Using the Live Book search, I've just come across this gem:
                                    Homes of Family Names in Great Britain

It's quite interesting!

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                    X