Problem with BMD Registers search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with BMD Registers search

A few days ago, when I was searching the BMD Registers site (non-conformists) at
    BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service
    there was a tick box on the free search screen where you could select "all names" or some such, and it would come back with results including those where the name you had put in was the name of the baby's parent or grandparent - but that box has vanished! Has anybody else still got it, or has it gone completely?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

How long ago is a few days?

I forget when I joined up for that site? (I expect a thread on here would tell me!), but I've never seen that "all names" selection.

The search box you put a link to is exactly what I saw on my first day :o

Comment

It was definitely just a few days ago (i.e. a week or less), because it was when I was looking up OH's Quaker ancestors, and I was putting in what I thought should be the father's name and clicking "search all names" to check that the entry came up that way before paying my money to view the image. And, I have to admit, then I searched on father's name and then mother's name to find the names and dates for the siblings for free! Maybe that's why they've removed the facility. I found mention of it in their help section, and it was the "search all names" box. It doesn't say anything about it being removed in the help section, though.
      KiteRunner

Comment

You're right, it was there 2/3 days ago, but I can't find it now.

I'd never noticed it before, so perhaps they were beta-testing it.

Comment

Well, I wish it had been there when I was using it, but it wasn't! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            You're right, it was there 2/3 days ago, but I can't find it now.

I'd never noticed it before, so perhaps they were beta-testing it.
            Mary, I'd also used it a few months ago, so they can't have been beta-testing it. And as I said, it's explained in their help section. I do hope they put it back!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Just checked - it's there on the Advanced Search page. Where were you all looking?

Comment

Hughar, it used to be on the Standard Search. The trouble with the Advanced Search is that you have to use up 1 credit to view the results! The Standard Search is free. I've sent them an email asking about it - will report back if I ever get a reply!
                KiteRunner

Comment

If you use the advanced search and there are no results for your search, do you still have to pay one unit?

Comment

Yes, you do. Well, I tried searching for a nonsense name and it told me to buy credits!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      Yes, you do. Well, I tried searching for a nonsense name and it told me to buy credits!
                      Thanks Kite.

Comment

Hi

I just clicked on the site from my favourites list and the tick box for all names is there for the free search. Could it have been a glitch?

Terri

Comment

Oooh!! I've never seen that before.....It's there today but wasn't yesterday!

Maybe Kite's email worked wonders?

Comment

Just received this email:

Thank you for your email.

The 'Search all Names' option has been removed intentionally to allow us to carry out maintenance on the database.

We hope to re-introduce this search feature early next week.

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused and we appreciate your patience.

Kind Regards
                            The BMD Registers Team

Wow, they put it back quick then!

Now, if only I could remember who I wanted to search for...
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Pity they didn't think to put up an apology about it on the site :(

I can see another half dozen entries I would like now I have that facility *sobs*

Comment

Working...
                              X