• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Giffiths Valuation

have deleted as it says its only available in irish schools and libraries
    Last edited by Teresa; 15-05-08, 12:19. Reason: not approprriate

Teresa

Thanks for this but at present the site is telling me that it does not have Tipperary Maps at Present and when I click details all that come up is what you get on the Griffiths Index. There is no acreage that you get on the fuller Griffiths which is available at Irish Origins. However I will keep my eyes on it as it may improve.

Janet

Comment

Teresa, stick the link up. we are a global website and do visit the emerald Isle... Well I do any way

Comment

Peppie,

Full Irish Griffiths as opposed to the Index is available through Dublin National Archives/Dublin National Library, if you are ever in Dublin, Ireland and most counties in Ireland have a big library where you can access Full Griffiths for that particular county, ie. Wexford for Wexford County, Cork for Cork county and so on. You can also access Full Griffiths online through Irish Origins at a very reasonable cost. I have used all methods to gain access to Griffiths. Just do not be fooled by the Index you can get for free online which is not as good as the Full Griffiths.

Janet

Comment

Janet, are there actually more people on the full Griffiths, or the same number of people as in the free index but with more information about them?

Comment

Mary,

The same number of people but more information +maps of actual areas.

Janet

Comment

Ah, thanks. I might have a look next time they have a free day on Origins.

Comment

Can I ask what type of extra information do you typically get regarding individuals that isn't on the Index? Thanks
                Kind regards,
                William
                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Wulliam

The following website should give you a full explanation of Griffiths.

Griffiths Primary Valuation, From Ireland URL http://www.from-ireland.net, ©Jane Lyons

The main thing to realise is that on the full Griffiths as opposed to the Index, you get name, addresss, acreage. cost as well as rating of land that is rented, so if you have a family in one particular area then you can plot that family and land and get some idea of standing of family(ies) in the area. If families are renting for many years did they eventually buy from Lessor? Lessors are also given and this will help you to track the land by researching the original land owner. Everybody had land in Ireland even if it was only a house and back yard, all rented of course. The early valuations in the 1820's and 1830's known as Tithe Aplotments excluded some people under certain acreages, so not all are on TA but by the 1840's &1850's the Valuation known as Griffiths was including all householders, so all are on this valuation, which makes this such an important census substitute, but it does help if you know more than Michael Murphy Ireland! Michael Murphy Cork Ireland is a little better but Michael Murphy plus a townland and Cork is even better.You also get maps of land involved.

I have found all my ancestors in Tipperary through Griffiths and OH has found all his Wexford farms.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 18-05-08, 10:42.

Comment

Thanks for this Janet - you've been very helpful. I shall start digging!
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
                    X