Ancestry - how to search Australian records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - how to search Australian records

I had a whoo whoo moment yesterday when I firstly received a will which had the enticing words Hugh Alexander Pigott Gt Nephew address Australia and then I found one of my missing Pigotts arriving in the state of Victoria Australia on the Sailing Ship Kirkham in January 1871. The fact that I have been searching for this particular man for ages made it even more satisfying. I felt in bones that he had gone abroad but finding him was proving tough.

He arrived on the Kirkham using just his initials P H G Pigott aged 24. Now I have of course jumped to massive conclusions (*hangs head in shame*) but given that Pelling Hugh Gough Pigott was the nephew it seems a reasonable assumption to make that Hugh must be his son?

However, and this is my question using Ancestry.au.com, how can I find his marriage, death and Hugh's + possibly other childrens' births as all that is coming up appears to be the UK stuff.

I am on the Oz website and will pay - despite them offering me a 14 day free trail to the Oz site which failed to materalise as all they did was offer a world up grade! :(

I'm probably being thick but excitment is getting the better of me....... a new lead/branch to go down......
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

No Australian BMDs on Ancestry. There are some electoral rolls, but you need the World subscription to access the full details.

Victoria BMDs are here (PPV):

Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages - Index Search - Historical Index Search Form

and you can find WWI and WWII service records here:

RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

Australian War Memorial: One of the world's great museums

There are more Australian links in the Wiki, but these are the main sites you'll need.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-05-08, 12:54.

Comment

There are some Victoria burials here which may come in useful:

FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia

Australian Cemeteries

Comment

Many thanks Mary - that explains why no BMDs are appearing! I'll ferret around with these and then go to the Wiki. Oh the excitement..... (sorry I'm a lost cause!)
        Bo

Comment

These are the other main online BMD sites in case he moved on to another State:

NSW: NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search
          Western Australia: Searching WA Online Indexes
          Queensland: https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/BirIndexQry.m

Comment

Looking on my copy of the AVRI
            Hugh Alexander PIGOTT
            b.1873
            Reg:Shurst (Sandhurst?) Victoria
            Ref No.12395
            Father: Pelling Hugh Pigott
            Mother:Annie Maria Longden Orr

You can use these details to order the cert online from Victorian Registry of BDMs .

Didn't see any other records after a cursory glance, but will look again after I finish burning my chops.

Beverley

Comment

OK...looks like the transcribers may have been having fun again
              AVRI:Annie Marie Longdon ORR mar Pelling Hugh Gough P CONANT 1872
              Ref:2579

And there is confusion about p.o.m.......Tasmania/Victoria
              If I remember correctly an idiosyncrasy about the AVRI, Annie may have been born Tasmania and married Victoria...but I'm sure someone will set me right
              Last edited by Macbev; 15-05-08, 04:11.

Beverley

Comment

Ohh Bev - thank you sooo much. Hope you are sitting down as his full name is Pelling Hugh Gough Pigott Stainsby-Conant :o. His grandpa had taken the extra names Stainsby-Conant as he inherited a large wodge of cash and part of the deal was that his heirs should take the names S-C in perpetuity! (In actual terms it was only two generations!).

I'm really excited about this find as it could possibly have some fairly large implications for my family. Nothing nasty just that just possibly it could mean the discovery of another male descendant so that the "line" is not dependant on my only male 1st cousin - and that is despite 3xG grandfather having 9 sons!

Now to hunt to see whether there were any more children and whether Hugh made old bones with descendants. Happy happy happy.......
                Bo

Comment

Bo, I had another look last night when you confirmed 'CONAN' as the family name.

Annie Marie Longdon CONAN died 1888, Echuca Victoria. Ref No:9245
                  Father: Alexander ORR
                  Mother: BYER

Have not found any more siblings for Hugh so far....perhaps he was an 'only'
                  Will see if I can find out more about the ORRs for you, if you want (at least try to find out mother's given name)

I can empathise with your feelings about the family name...I have been trying for years to find male descendants who may have carried on my OHs name, apart from my two sons, neither of whom have children :o

Beverley

Comment

I've had a look as well. Can't find any siblings.

Checked Conant, Stainsby and Piggot/Pigott. From memory Hugh Alexander is also registered under Conant.

Comment

Yes, he is, Libby (*pats self on back for being able to remember something found as long ago as last night :D*)

Beverley

Comment

I see Pelling's son Hugh Alexander died in NSW in 1945 - did you find that, Bo?
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-05-08, 13:23.

Comment

Hugh APS Conant married an Alice Hungerford in NSW in 1908.
                          There's a marriage for a William Hungerford Conant in NSW, and his 60-page WW2 RAAF service record's on the NAA site.
                          There's also a Mervyn Walter Hungerford, next of kin Conant, on the NAA site.

Comment

Death certs are usually worth getting because they contain loads of information - the names of the deceased's parents and spouses and names and ages of their living children, and number of deceased children, as well as the date, place and cause of death and place of burial.

Marriage certs also contain the parents' names.

Certs are a bit expensive, but in NSW you can get a transcription from an authorised transcriber for half the price.
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-05-08, 12:43.

Comment

The NSW death index only goes up to 1977, but you can find NSW obituaries here:

Ryerson Index

and William Hungerford Conant and his wife Betty are listed.

Click on "requesting a look-up" and follow the instructions to obtain the full newspaper death notice from one of the DPS volunteers (they usually contain the names of the deceased's spouse and children).

Comment

There are three Conant marriages in NSW, and one of them is a Joan Piggott Conant, who sounds promising.

Comment

Well Mary.....maybe I should have checked here before I went searching LOL.

Not much point in rehashing what you've found, although I didn't get the Ryerson Index.

I'm off ot Tenterfield this weekend, if you remember anything. I should check the NSW Index for the district for all those Conants. I never look at the district if it's not for me.

Comment

There was a Hugh Conant who was a friend of Norman Lindsay and Lionel Lindsay has a drawing of hugh Conant and Leon Pole?? playing a whistle, in the Ballarat Fine Art Gallery.

Comment

There is also a Hugh Conant who is the Senior Analyst in International Analysisand Assessment Branch of the Australian Federal Police.

Probably worth an email to them.

Comment

Mervyn Hungerford seems to be William Hungerford Conant's step-brother.

His parents were Alice and Walter, and an Alice Gill married Walter Hungerford in 1880. Hugh AP Conant was presumably Alice's second husband.

There's a death in 1970 for a Lancelot Waring Gill, parents Hary (?) Pelling and Annie Waring, who's presumably related somehow. He's listed in the Ryerson index as well as the NSW BDM index.
                                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-05-08, 12:44.

Comment

Working...
                                        X