Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ancestry - how to search Australian records

Found it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the Ancestry...I'll get to that.

Look at this ebay.com.au number 260239296225 It has H R Gonant. It is actually H R Conant and the first name is Hugh. This is supposedly Lindsay's first bookplate.

I found a bit on the NLA (National Library of Australia) site. Unfortunately I can't copy and paste the link. I'm sure Mary will know how to do it.

Ah, well done, Libby. The bookplate's interesting.

This is the NLA site:
    National Library Of Australia | Home

but I didn't find anything obviously relevant by searching for Conant. What did you find?

Neither did I, Mary. I found the connection by googling Norman Lindsay Conant, and going from there. There is a little story, but it's a PDF file.

Here are the Electoral Roll addresses..

CONANT.....Pelling Hugh Gough Pigott Stainsby

1903 Bairnsdale Vic. Solicitor (with Katherine Ann....home duties)

1909 Main Street Bairnsdale Vic...Solicitor (no Katherine)

1914 Wonthaggi Vic.....Barrister (gone up in the world)

1919 Same as above.

1924 Linden Ave Heidelberg Vic.....Barrister.

-------------------------------------

CONANT Katherine Pigott

1909 128 Grey Street East Melbourne Vic Home Duties

---------------------------------------------

CONANT Hugh Alexander.....and.....Alice Agnes Conant

1930 "Wyndella" Kuringai Chase Rd Turramurra NSW......Journalist (Alice....home duties)

1936 Same as above....BUT....also

William Hungerford Conant and Joan Conant. William is "p. farm" Presumeing Part Time Farmer (good tax lurk LOL) Joan is Home Duties.

--------------------------------------

CONANT Mary

1936 Ian Street Rose Bay NSW ......teacher.
    ----------------------------

That's all the Conants. I'll have a look at some other possibilities later.

Home Duties is simply housewife/stay at home wife.

Doubt that those women would have done much housework though. Fairly ritzy areas, probably had housekeepers..

Wish I did....I could sit here and finish this LOL.

Ah, here's the html version:

Ann Nugent samples the Library's array of bookplates

I see there are Conants in the current Australian phone book, in Victoria and NSW, including an HT in NSW, probably the son of William Hungerford Conant.

whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

I've got another marriage for Pelling HGPS-Conant. Catherine Ann Drummond in 1889 in Victoria Reg no 6963 originally born Hampshire (so I'm checking the UK censuses) - so that would account for Katherine. Pelling only died in 1925. His first wife Ann Marie Longden Orr died in 1888 at Echuca.

Not sure whether Pelling and Katherine had children.

I've looked at the NAA records for William Hungerford Conant. It really made me stop and think 60 pages for "an ordinary well behaved man". The beauracy that must've been involved in the discharge of all these men at the end of WW2 is mind blowing.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

There are very few WW2 service records online - the only other RAAF one I've seen is my father's, which is quite different from William's - possibly because he enlisted a bit later and there was less red tape by them. He was also a PoW, so a lot of the file covers that aspect.

The unluckiest researchers are those with Australian navy men in their trees - they get a largely illegible 2-sided card.

Bo...............I'm away for the weekend....if you need anything else looked up with Ancestry I'll check back Sunday night.

Contact made - Thank you so much for your help.

Just to give you a quick update - thank you all for your help and as a result I have now made contact firstly with a lady from GR who passed me to her Ma who gave my details to her cousin who has done some research on their tree! The today I logged on here a blow me down with a feather I have a PM from the said cousin who only joined this site this month - he is probably disappointed that I am one and the same person though!

Without all your help I've never have got this far in Australia and would not have had the info to go to GR with. The best bit of all though is that they are as excited as I am with the discovery!
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

That's good to hear, Bo. Always exciting to make contact with a living, interested rellie...fingers X'd for many more exciting revelations

Thanks for letting us know......always good to get a result.