Medal cards on Ancestry No address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medal cards on Ancestry No address

I am so disappointed as I thought I may have found my George Arthur Miller but there is no address on his is this normal I needed it to confirm its him

The one I found had no address for the solldier. The reason I knew it was the right person was his mother's name and address on the back when she had written to ask for his posthumous medals.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

None of the medal cards I've got for my lot have anything other than the bare details of name, service number, regiment and medal entitlement.

There's more info on the service records but of course only a minority of them have survived.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

how do I know if I've seen the back of it ??? thanks

Comment

The images are on ancestry. Top image has the front of the card and if you scroll down you can see the back which is almost always blank.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks Nell its blank then !!!!

Comment

So far I've seen the reverse of half a dozen medal cards on Ancestry, and only one had an address on it.

Comment

Three for OH's rellies had nothing on the back. Two of them had no more than name, regiment, number and medal roll reference. Not even a start date or theatre of war.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Val,
                  in my experience, the "juiciest" medal cards I've looked at, have been for soldiers who were killed, which have names and addresses for the member of the family who applied for the medals.
                  ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

thanks for all your replies

Comment

Hi Val ... like you I'm disappointed at the lack of info on the medal cards ... I've been trying to find some of my rellies and as the only clue I had to which regiment they were in was their address / location at the time ... I've drawn several blanks

Maybe when Ancestry finish the British Army WW1 army service records database we'll be able to match the medal cards to the right people ...
                      Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

hi Lass if only ??? I'm not holding my breathe though

Comment

Working...
                        X