BIVRI has finally arrived.....but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Does anyone know if BIVRI disks can be used on Windows 10?
    I bought this 17 years ago when on XP Service Pack 2 and haven't used the disks for at least 10 years!!!
    I haven't a CLUE Kat, but I would think that if you had a VM [virtual machine] running win XP you could get it going.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's a long time ago but I seem to remember that BIVRI used a rather odd file format and needed its own reader. I had a struggle with it when I upgraded from Windows ME. In any case, all the info was online by then so BIVRI became irrelevant. It went in the bin several years ago along with a few hundred other "useful" but obsolete CD-ROMs.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
        It is a common error to think all the BIVRI info is online or more accurately freely available on line as the Scottish regions are only available at a cost through Scotland's People.
        Windows 10 actually makes more historic programs compatible than early versions of Windows such as Windows 7.

The easiest way to run them is to purchase the latest full version of the Folio software but that is an expensive option as the commercial software is not cheap. The free option is to install the software that comes with the disks and update it to the freely supplied version 4.02 (the update came on disk 1 of the version 2 of the BIVRI). The LDS no longer post the Version 4.02 disk to patrons as they used to do, but many people have copies of the update file (update.exe)

Cheers
        Guy
        Oooohhhh thanks Guy!.. I'll have to dig my disks out and see if they'll run on my laptop. [it might encourage me to do more FH!] :smilee:
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I did that Guy but I am still getting an error even after restarting the computer. I got the message initially that I was successful in updating 4.0 to 4.04. When I interrogated the properties the viewer was still 4.0.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

ops! That should read 4.02
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
            X