I'm looking for a list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a list.

Anyone know if there is a site that has a list of parishes within close range of another parish.

I'm looking for the parishes within a few miles of Hawkshead in Lancashire/Cumbria.

Have you tried Curiousfox ?
    That has villages/towns nearby
    And old maps

CuriousFox UK genealogy message boards - villages, towns, local history, UK maps

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 22-04-08, 22:52.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

what about Genuki?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

GENUKI: Hawkshead, Lancashire genealogy

Try this
        PAT

Comment

Now why would I think of the obvious???????????????

I didn't think of Curious Fox even though I always tell others to use it. LOL.

AND I've never noticed the "Nearby" bit at the top of the Genuki page.

Thank you.

Comment

and pretty pics here

Hawkshead - Image Gallery

Photos of Hawkshead, Cumbria

Bark House, Hawkshead Hill, Lake District, County Cumbria, England : 1022648 - PicturesOfEngland.com

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I use a lovely Freeware program called ParLoc 2.3 (Parish Locator 2.3). It is really simple to use and pretty accurate, which is the way I like it! lol

Google should find it........

Oooh, here's their website: Home

Comment

My Ordnance Survey map of the Lake District has Hawkshead on it. My lot mostly came from the other side of Windermere.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you...................I'm finding my way around. I have a road map book of UK, google, Genuki, and anything else I can find.

I really don't know how far back these two families go in the Hawkshead district.
                  I have several references in the 1400s and 1500s, but then the odd one decides to wander around a bit. LOL.

Found a pretty little place called Brawith that seems close enough. At least I'm learning my geography.

Comment

Sure it isn't Blawith? That's at the south end of Coniston Water. Hawkshead is level with the north end of Coniston Water which is 5 miles long.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

According to my parishes in Cumbria map (never go without it or my camera these days), the adjoining parishes to Hawkshead are:

Windermere St. Martin (East across the lake)
                      Colton (south)
                      Grasmere (north)
                      Ulverston (west)

These are further divided down with chapels:

Hawkshead parish - Satterthwaite, Sawrey, Low Wray, Brathay
                      Windermere parish - Troutbeck
                      Colton parish - Rusland, Finsthwaite, Haverthwaite.
                      Grasmere parish - Langdale, Ambleside, Rydal.
                      Ulverston parish - Coniston, Torver, Blawith, Lowick, Egton-cum-Newland, Osmotherley (north to south)

The nearest to Hawkshead would be Coniston, Langdale & Ambleside.
                      Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Thank you, Helen...........

I think my lot were mostly in the parish of Hawkshead, but the towns/villages mentioned so far are:
                        Coniston
                        Coniston Water
                        Waterhead
                        Thwaite
                        Blawith
                        and my personal favourite (because I've never found anything about it) Hollinbank.

Some of them give their address as Thwaite, Coniston, Hawkshead or Hauxhead (in the early ones).

Now I'll be able to venture further afield a little at a time.

Comment

PS Helen........... where do you get the parishes map??

Comment

I got it from one of the local records offices. It's been brilliant for the PoW photo project.
                            Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

From memory there is a programme called 'parish locator' which gives you the names of parishes within a given radius. I used it several years ago - this might be it...

Parish Locator for Windows

sorry I can't check it as my system doesn't run windows
                              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                              X