Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in Finding a Death in Australia Please

Hi Folks,

I am looking for the death of a lady, who emigrated to Australia in 1957 with her family. She was my mother's cousin, and I do know for a fact that she has since died - but when? I have no idea, I'm afraid.

Diplomacy is called for as there is a very good chance her children are still alive, hence my reluctance to mention specific names. I do, however, know exactly when the family emigrated, all their names, dates of birth etc - even the ship they sailed on!

I realise Australia is a huge country, and we could be talking about a wide time span, but it is a very unusual name which might help to locate the death date/place. Are there any of our friends 'down-under' able to help please? Please message me privately - many thanks!

Chris

Send me the details in a PM, and I'll have a look. Don't forget to include the Christian names of the lady's parents.

Comment

Recent records tend not to be available online in Oz, but the Sydney Dead Persons Society (approx the same as Family History Society!) runs The Ryerson Index:
      THE RYERSON INDEX

You need to make sure you use the right link, because there's another site, apparently masquerading as the same sort of service (maybe not so good) but demanding money - as distinct from welcoming donations.
      If you do decide that this is the site for you,make sure you read up about how it works... I had a request on there some time ago and had an amazingly prompt response - from Joan Ryerson, herself! - but researchers are asked not to make more than one request in a day, and to understand that it is manned by volunteers, who may not be able to supply an instant response.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Chrissie, you could try this site first of all, I found some of my family using it.

Ryerson Index

Australia is different to here. Each state has it's own index and some don't publish to the net. Most also have a time scale so you may find you can't get any info that is under 50 years old.

Here's the site for New South Wales if you think they went there.
        NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
        If they did, I've the name of a lady who can get transcripts at a fraction of the cost of the official site and she e-mails the copy to you.
        Last edited by Durham Lady; 20-04-08, 16:37.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          Send me the details in a PM, and I'll have a look. Don't forget to include the Christian names of the lady's parents.
          Have PM'd you, Mary.

Chris

Comment

Christine and Daphne - have tried that, but no joy I'm afraid! Many thanks anyway.

Chris

Comment

Quick résumé for anyone else who may be helping:

Nothing for either spouse in the Ryerson index, no death in NSW for wife, spouse with right initial found in phone book in Dandenong, Victoria, but wife not listed in Dandenong burials or in the Victoria death index (which goes up to 1985).

I've advised Chrissie to try the Victoria "Ask a librarian" service to see if they can find either spouse on the electoral roll, and if not, to try writing to the gentleman in Dandenong.

Comment

This has links to Oz's BMD sites:
                Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
                just in case it's a different state.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  This has links to Oz's BMD sites:
                  Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages
                  just in case it's a different state.

Christine

Had a little flit through that, Christine. Gawd, it's complicated! All very well if you know when this person was born/married/ died, but I can't see any of our online BMD type of thing that you can browse. Not to worry - as I messaged Mary, it's not the end of the world! I just like to pigeon-hole things I guess!

My thanks,

Chris

Comment

I would try the "Ask a Librarian" service that I suggested, then - start with Victoria, and if they draw a blank, try the other States in turn.

Comment

Originally posted by chrissiebee View Post
                      but I can't see any of our online BMD type of thing that you can browse. My thanks,

Chris

Chrissie, unfortunately none of the States have anything like our BMD index that you can browse, we are lucky compared to most countries. They also have closures on so you may not be able to access anything less than 100, 75 or 50 years, depends which record, depends which state.

Daphne
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                        Chrissie, unfortunately none of the States have anything like our BMD index that you can browse, we are lucky compared to most countries. They also have closures on so you may not be able to access anything less than 100, 75 or 50 years, depends which record, depends which state.

Daphne
                        Daphne - Yes, I guessed as much. Looks like I'm going to have to pop her back on the back burner for a bit. Many thanks,

Chris

Comment

PRIVACY - I find it very weird, here in Oz. Now I cannot even discuss my mobile phone account with our provider as OH is the account holder and he "must have given them a PIN code" even if he swears he NEVER DID. (Sorry, hobby horse)

Re BDM indexes - They won't publish the death indexes, but you can look a death up in the newspaper death notices (Ryerson Index) and now many cemeteries are publishing who is buried where, right up to the current day, so I don't see the point keeping the death indexes private.

Most states don't publish birth indexes or marriage indexes past the end of WW1,Tasmania its 1900. I don't think the ACT has ANY birth indexes and very limited deaths.

We were lucky here in NSW that someone mistakenly included the 1900-1918 birth indexes in the microfiche and no-one realised until it was too late, but they are only putting on-line up to 1907 and rolling the 100year embargo every year.

Finding anyone "recently" deceased is a difficult problem if you don't have any idea which state to start with.

Di
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia
                          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Chrissie

Try this site for Western Australia.It is the Cemetary Board, or message me the name i will look for you.
                            MCB Site

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                              PRIVACY - I find it very weird, here in Oz. Now I cannot even discuss my mobile phone account with our provider as OH is the account holder and he "must have given them a PIN code" even if he swears he NEVER DID. (Sorry, hobby horse)

Re BDM indexes - They won't publish the death indexes, but you can look a death up in the newspaper death notices (Ryerson Index) and now many cemeteries are publishing who is buried where, right up to the current day, so I don't see the point keeping the death indexes private.

Most states don't publish birth indexes or marriage indexes past the end of WW1,Tasmania its 1900. I don't think the ACT has ANY birth indexes and very limited deaths.

We were lucky here in NSW that someone mistakenly included the 1900-1918 birth indexes in the microfiche and no-one realised until it was too late, but they are only putting on-line up to 1907 and rolling the 100year embargo every year.

Finding anyone "recently" deceased is a difficult problem if you don't have any idea which state to start with.

Di
                              I was lucky in finding my dads cousin went to NSW in 1927. I was able to get death certificate transcriptions of dads cousin and his wife and found obituary notices for their daughter and husband in the Ryerson index which then gave me the names of her children and grandchildren.
                              I then contacted the Daily Telegraph in Sydney and had a "Looking For" article put in the newspaper saying I was looking for descendants of my cousin once removed, I named him and within days one of his g grand daughters contacted me and then I had letters from 2 of his grandchildren. I also had an e-mail from the Dr of one grandchild who said although P didn't have the internet he wanted to let me know she would be writing to me. Can't see one of our Dr's doing that
                              I'm hoping to meet up with some of the family when I'm in Sydney at the end of the year.
                              Daphne

Comment

The ACT deaths index 1930-1973 ~ there's a link to a downloadable file here:
                                The ACT Registrar-General's Office - Births, Deaths and Marriages

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by niftynannie View Post
                                  Chrissie

Try this site for Western Australia.It is the Cemetary Board, or message me the name i will look for you.
                                  MCB Site
                                  Sue - tried that site, but no joy I'm afraid! Ah well..............

Many thanks - Chris

Comment

Chris...................have you tried Google Australia (google.com.au).? Sometimes you'll get some little snippet there that won't show on your normal google.

It took me ages to realize every country has their own google.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                      Chris...................have you tried Google Australia (google.com.au).? Sometimes you'll get some little snippet there that won't show on your normal google.

It took me ages to realize every country has their own google.
                                      Thanks Libby, might give that a whirl although I should imagine it would be a mammoth task! I was just curious really, as is my Mum, this lady being my Mum's cousin and all that.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                      X