Canadian Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Census

Does anyone have access to the Canadian census records in 1891 and 1901?

I am trying to find some details on Samuel Howell(s) born 1867 in Styall, Cheshire.

He was in Toronto, Ontario in 1887 as his daughter Lillian was born there. She was brought up by the family here in Shropshire, she is with them in 91 and 1901, so I am wondering what happened to him.

Allie
    Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Have you looked on the Wiki?

There are quite a few Canadian census records available online - for free - even images.

Christine

PS - try this link:
    Canada Census Records Online
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine

I'll have a look

Allie
      Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Comment

sorry to say there is no Canadian 1891 census online available to view. I was told why but that was ages ago and I have forgotton-- ?? must have something to do with my age------
        This is another link to Can census records.
        Automated Genealogy
        Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
        no password required.

Comment

I found this little snippet on the net if it helps at all--it was dated 2004--
          Like most things related to genealogy the Census records will only become
          available online when folks decide to transcribe them. Considering that this is
          usually done by volunteers you can sadly wait forever for it to get done.

You can find a few snippets of the census records here.

Cyndi's List - Census - Worldwide and here.

Census Online - Canada Census Records - 45,772 Links

Of course you can go to most libraries and order in the microfilms and search
          them yourself. - and go blind in the process.

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

no password required.

Comment

Thanks for those links Patbee and for the info on the 1891 census. I was not aware it is not available online. I'll have a good dig around through those links tonight whilst hubby is out

Allie

Comment

The earliest Canadian census on Ancestry is 1901. No likely candidates there.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Many thanks for looking Uncle John,
                I appreciate you taking the time.

Allie

Comment

Historical Records
                  Census & Voter Lists
                  - 1911 Census of Canada
                  - 1906 Census of Canada
                  - 1901 Census of Canada
                  - 1851 Census of Canada
                  - Ontario Census Index, 1871 - Free!

I have access to these Canadian census records if anyone needs a lookup

FamilySearch.org - Search has for free-- 1881 census of Canada

and some portions of 1891 Canadian census are online-
                  check
                  Cyndi's List - Canada - Census
                  Pat

no password required.

Comment

HI

What do you know about Lillian Jane Howell(s) mum? Have you found her in the later census since Lillian's birth?
                    WendyP

Comment

I found Lillians birth registration on Ancestry.ca. Lilian (spelled with one L in the reg) Jane Howell born Sept 7 1887 in toronto, parents Samuel Howell and Sarah Pain. He was a waiter. Sarah Howell was the informant, and her address was 149 Church St., Toronto. Accoucheur was Dr LM Sweetnam.
                      I couldnt find a death reg for either parent in the Ontario indexes.
                      Cheryl

Comment

Is there anything here for you?
                        Ontario Genealogical Society

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                          HI

What do you know about Lillian Jane Howell(s) mum? Have you found her in the later census since Lillian's birth?
                          Hi Wendy,
                          To be honest, I hadn't looked. I was assuming I would find them together.
                          This family seemed to leave children with grandparents often.

Originally posted by cwright View Post
                          I found Lillians birth registration on Ancestry.ca. Lilian (spelled with one L in the reg) Jane Howell born Sept 7 1887 in toronto, parents Samuel Howell and Sarah Pain. He was a waiter. Sarah Howell was the informant, and her address was 149 Church St., Toronto. Accoucheur was Dr LM Sweetnam.
                          I couldnt find a death reg for either parent in the Ontario indexes.
                          Cheryl
                          Thank you very much for that Cheryl. I had found her birth details on familysearch but having the address where they were living is an added bonus.

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post

Christine

I will look at this later Christine thanks. Is this one that is in the wiki?
                          I had a good hunt last night through some of them. Now I have an address, I have a better chance of finding out what happened to Samuel and Sarah

Allie

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Christine in Herts:

Christine

I will look at this later Christine thanks. Is this one that is in the wiki?
                            I had taken it from my own list of Bookmarks, but it's top of the list for Ontario in the Wiki.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X