No announcement yet.

Old Bailey site updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He may have got a character reference from his employer, or the local vicar if he was a churchgoer.

Comment

It's working now. Thanks Mary for this info.

I've just found one of husband's ancestors James Anthony Higho as a jury member in 1846. Very useful, as his wife is a widow in 1851 and I haven't found a death on Freebmd. This means I have a smaller search (46-51) than the 10 years I was expecting to plough through in the full death indexes.

Off to see if I can find any villains now.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, found a connection by marriage, a furrier in 1841, was given 6 months' imprisonment in 1837 for stealing 50 hart-skins from his master, worth £1. 17s.

Useful as it has given me his address.

Comment

Even more useful, I have found a direct ancestor of OH

his gt gt grandfather, William Robins, accused of theft. Not only does it give information about William, two witnesses were
          a) William's father James (very elusive man, not on any census) giving his address and details about paper-staining,

and

b) William's future father-in-law, Joseph Denison. I now have his address and also the fact that he knew William for about 8 years. Joseph's daughter was just 16 when she and William married, so William would have known her when she was a child.

Comment

Lucky you, Nell!

I had a quick look for some of my likely candidates, but found nothing.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Bad luck Christine.

I was pleased as I've often searched with no results. Maybe your lot will appear after 1913!

Comment

I did have a hope that my PC James CHRISTMAS might have shown up in the course of his duties. He does appear in the Times over an arrest (an being attacked in the process, as I recall); but he doesn't seem to appear in the Old Bailey.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, I only have one City of London plod, but he doesn't feature. Obviously he didn't make many arrests!

I was also in hopes that my Met policemen might show up too, but they don't.

Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                  X