Earl of Stanhope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earl of Stanhope

I have been wandering round the Tithe Maps on Cheshire RO, trying to identify various farms which my ancestors owned/tenanted.

The Earls of Stanhope owned much of the land which they tenanted. So what?

Well, I googled the Earls of Stanhope and was startled to read that one of them married Elizabeth Green, daughter of William Green of Trelawney, Jamaica.

The Greens are an ancient family in Cheshire, mostly Gawsworth. I can't get a biographical handle on William Green of Jamaica. Am I fishing for a red herring here? He appears as some sort of Steward to the Tharp family in Jamaica, and Tharp is also a Gawsworth name.

Any ideas please?

OC

HI Oc

Found these two sites which might help

This one mentions who ELizabeth Stanhope nee Greens mother was

Worldroots.com

and this one give a bit more of a back ground on her motherside and also if you can make out the small print a bit of background as to the lineage of William Greens side of the family

Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic ... - Google Book Search

the link above if you look at the top left paragraph starting 'Rebecca Hall

Hope it helps a bit
    WendyP

Comment

From the first of Wendy's links.....

If William Green's wife was Ann Rose Hall, there are lots of entries on Ancestry's slave registers for both William Green and Ann Rose Green (and variants)

Comment

The death of Elizabeth Green:

Deaths Dec 1898
        Harrington Elizabeth William (Dowager Countess) 90 St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 316

Elizabeth in 1861 where she says she is only 44, but she married in 1831!

RG9; Piece: 2490; Folio: 101; Page: 1

Comment

Thankyou both - I realised as soon as I logged off that I hadn't put either a time scale, nor had I given you the info that the family surname was Harrington!

Well done for guessing, lol!

OC

Comment

Hmmm....I see from Wendy's second link that William Green was suppose to be from a Norfolk family :o

Comment

Yes Merry, it's not looking good so far! The link, if any, could be a very long way back.

I think however, that I have solved a sub mystery! The Earl of Stanhope sold much of his Cheshire lands to the railways and that nicely explains why my Greens suddenly upped sticks and left the farm where they had lived for 350 years. They owned it at one time, but must have sold it to the Earl.

OC

Comment

Some Jamaican genealogy links here in case they come in useful:

Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library

Comment

Working...
                X