Clear All

• Timelines

Does anyone know of good online sites for timelines for:
    • laws
    • inventions
    • famous events
    • books published
    • celebrities
    I'm really interested in the C19th but anything pre WW1 would be useful.

NB I'm at work and supposed to be working! so may not reply straight away, but I would be really grateful for all comments or suggestions.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

This is a general timeline - you'd need to pick out what you wanted. Final column headed "science" has inventions in it, and next to last column "Arts" includes books.
    British Empire: Nineteeth Century Timeline
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks for that, Nell. it does provide a good framework.

Does anyone know any more detailed ones? I've got some really old history books, but they do concentrate rather on the kings and queens rather than what actually affected our ancestors lives.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix -

Not a timeline, but a book you might be interested in if you had ancestors/rellies in London. Liza Picard's Victorian London covers life in the Smoke between 1840 and 1870, from the perspectives of all social classes and really evokes the sights, sounds and smells of the city (including the Great Stink of 1858).

My gg-gf moved to London from South Devon in the late 1830's, where he met and married my gg-gm (from Warwickshire). The family moved back to Devon in 1861/62, so this book was very much about *their* London. I borrowed it from the library a year or two ago, and liked it so much I bought my own copy.

The same author has also published Elizabeth's London, Restoration London, and Dr. Johnson's London; I haven't read the first two yet (no Londoners in my tree at that time AFAIK), but I've just started the Dr. Johnson's (since gg-gm's father was born in London abt. 1798).

I know this isn't what you asked for, but I hope it's not to far off topic.

Good luck,

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Working...
        X