Australian passenger list help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian passenger list help please

I've found, by googling, a claim that a family on a side branch of my tree emigrated to Australia on the Darling Downs in November 1884. The family's name was Cairn - father William John, mother Maria Louisa, and the children Edith, William Edwin, John and Ethel. Then 6 years later they moved to New Zealand. Does anybody know if the passenger list for the Darling Downs 1884 is available anywhere? I've been looking but no luck yet.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

KiteRunner.....try this.

Indexes - Immigration

Darling Downs is around Toowoomba about 80 miles west of Brisbane.

A lot of migrants, particularly Scottish and German went there but they mostly came through NSW in the Hunter Valley area in the 1840s.

Comment

I've had a look on half a dozen of the main passenger list sites, but I can't see it.

Comment

You could take up the offer on this site, which is transcribing passenger lists but hasn't done the one you want yet:

I am, in some circumstances, willing to scan and prepare a particular month in a particular year requested by a visitor to the site which is of special interest to them, in exchange for their transcribing half the vessels arriving during that month to be available online.

Mariners, Crew, Passengers

Comment

Found them - they sailed to Victoria:

Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923

The full passenger list isn't online, but that page contains the instructions for obtaining more details.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-04-08, 00:17.

Comment

Well done Mary,

I should have thought of Vic. That's where I found my Ariels!!!

Comment

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I am stupid!!!!

Darling Downs was the ship.

Comment

I did wonder if you'd realised that

Comment

Ooh, brilliant, Mary, thanks very much. Now I wonder who that mysterious George is... and what happened to John...
                  KiteRunner

Comment

It could be a name change?

When my lot emigrated to Australia in 1853 I found a mysterious Robert who I hadn't got a christening for - but was missing a William which I had so wonderered if the name was wrong!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

No, George is way too old to be John. Looks like George is William's brother. John is 2 months old on the 1881 census and his birth is registered first quarter of 1881. Oh, I've just found his death Dec 1883 Lambeth age 2. Guess that solves that one.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Not sure what the Victorian passenger lists are like, but I shelled out around AUS $25 to get a NSW list for one of my families, and it was really excellent.

I've put details of what you get in the Wiki in case anyone's interested, although I can't guarantee that all lists will have so much detail:

Comment

Thanks, Mary. As I said, they're only a side branch of my tree so I don't think I could justify paying that much for a copy of the passenger list, but I've passed the info onto the direct descendant of one of them, so maybe that person will be interested in paying for a copy.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                          X