Antrim, Down and Longford records added to IFHF online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antrim, Down and Longford records added to IFHF online

I've just received the following message from the Irish Family History Foundation:

New records added to Irish Genealogical Online Record Search System

The Irish Family History Foundation's Online Research Service (ORS) are pleased to announce the availability of the records of the Ulster Historical Foundation covering the parishes and districts of counties Antrim and Down and Longford Genealogy covering the parishes and districts of county Longford. This brings the total number of baptismal, birth, death and marriage records searchable online to nearly 11 million.

Just go to the following sites and login using your existing IFHF login details:
    Ulster Historical Foundation - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Antrim & Co. Down and
    Longford Genealogy - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Longford
    or search across all counties available at Irish Family History Foundation - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Ireland
    Sarah

The Antrim and Down records are the same ones that were already on the Ulster Historical Foundation website, but it is worth searching on both sites, because you may find some results are displayed on one site but not on the other (for instance, if you search on surname only on the UHF site, it will tell you how many matches there are on each database but won't show the list of matches unless you enter the first name as well! On the new site, it will show the list even if you don't enter the first name. On the other hand, the new site will only show you the first 10 matches to a search whereas the UHF site will show you all of them.

Ooh, and something else I've just noticed - the UHF site now shows you father's name on the free list of matches for a birth / baptism search! I don't remember that being there before? Oh, and it's on the list of marriages as well!
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 31-03-08, 09:36.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, it is good to check both sites as the results can vary, and it costs €5.00 to view a record on the IFHF site, compared to £4.50 on the UFH site (£3 for Guild members). The IFHF site also lets you narrow your search by parish, but as far as I can tell there is no option to do this on the UFH site.

I've also noticed that the IFHF site is bringing up some duplicate records :( - although with slightly different info. For example - I found 2 records for the same marriage, one with ages and one without.

Also, when I click on the link for the list of searchable records, it keeps bringing up Westmeath parishes instead of Antrim/Down, so I have sent a message to notify IFHF of this.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 31-03-08, 10:02.
      Sarah

Comment

The dup records for a marriage could be a civil reg entry and a church entry. I think there are some people who have both a baptism entry and a civil reg birth entry listed, too. Now then, for non-members of the UHF, it costs 4.50 GBP to view a record on their site and on the new site it costs 5 Euros, so I think that means it's cheaper on the new site? When I clicked to get the currency converter up it didn't work but I think that's right.

Anyway, since the UHF site gives father's name, it is well worth doing a surname search on the new site, note down the first names of the matches and then look them up on the UHF site to see the fathers' names before deciding whether to pay for a look at the record (and of course, check on Family Search to see if it is on there!!)
        KiteRunner

Comment

Yes 5 euros is cheaper than 4.50 pounds (EUR 5 currently works out at GBP 3.98)

I agree that it is good to use the 2 sites together - with the father's name given on UHF, and the possibility of searching by parish on IFHF.

If there are too many search results for a name, you can also narrow by entering a year. IFHF lets you search within a range of up to +/- 4 years, and UFH automatically searches within a range of +/- 5 years around the year entered.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 31-03-08, 10:13.
          Sarah

Comment

So glad I looked in here, a load of my lot came from county Down....

Comment

IFHF does NOTgive Parish for many counties. I understand they only give parish for ONE county that of Down and maybe Meath? I have today tried Limerick, North and South Tipperary and Kilkenny and I would not have wasted £20 if I had known the parish and better still the Townland before making my lottery choice!!! I know the Townlands and parishes that may be of interest to me if only they would let me have the option!

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                The Antrim and Down records are the same ones that were already on the Ulster Historical Foundation website, but it is worth searching on both sites, because you may find some results are displayed on one site but not on the other (for instance, if you search on surname only on the UHF site, it will tell you how many matches there are on each database but won't show the list of matches unless you enter the first name as well! On the new site, it will show the list even if you don't enter the first name. On the other hand, the new site will only show you the first 10 matches to a search whereas the UHF site will show you all of them.

Ooh, and something else I've just noticed - the UHF site now shows you father's name on the free list of matches for a birth / baptism search! I don't remember that being there before? Oh, and it's on the list of marriages as well!
                The fathers name is not showing up for me..... Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Peppie, are you looking on the Ulster Historical Foundation website or the IFHF one? Father's name is coming up on the Ulster Historical Foundation one for me:
                  Ulster Historical Foundation - Irish Genealogy Research Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Down, Belfast: Home

If it doesn't come up on that site for you, then post up details of your search and I'll see if it's the same for me.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I was on the wrong link :o cheers Kate!

Still no sign of Nanny :( I think i'm going to have to attempt to send for two certs same quarter same name same place...... *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                      IFHF does NOTgive Parish for many counties. I understand they only give parish for ONE county that of Down and maybe Meath? I have today tried Limerick, North and South Tipperary and Kilkenny and I would not have wasted £20 if I had known the parish and better still the Townland before making my lottery choice!!! I know the Townlands and parishes that may be of interest to me if only they would let me have the option!

Janet
                      That's strange Janet. I've just looked on the IFHF / BRS Genealogy site, and tried some random searches in Limerick, North and South Tipperary and Kilkenny, and all of them bring up a list of available Parishes / Districts to narrow the search to.

Click on one of the databases (birth records, marriage records or death records) under "Free Index Access" and then in the search form you just click on the little arrow and choose the relevant Parish or District from the list.

However, you do have to enter a first name when using the Parish field, and the number of available parishes/districts varies according to what you are looking for. In the case of South Tipperary, for example, there are more parishes/districts available to search for marriages than there are for deaths.
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 01-04-08, 07:22.
                      Sarah

Comment

Cloggie

Sorry my original message was not totally clear. I did mean that as far as I am aware you are just offered the County BEFORE purchase of Euros, but I will go back on to the site and try and see what you mean. I have never been aware of being able to access Parish or Townland before purchase of Euros. Maybe I have got that wrong, I hope I have, as Free BMD in the UK is so good and I have been very disappointed with this site.

Janet

Comment

Hi Janet,

I'm not sure if I was able to search by Parish before ever purchasing credits, but I have zero credits at the moment and am still given the option of clicking on a Parish / District.

Although that does help narrow it down, it's still not great because you have to enter a first name to search by Parish.

It definitely isn't the most user-friendly site - I too wasted some money yesterday, in my case on duplicate records, one of which was indexed with the wrong year.
                          Sarah

Comment

I can't see how you do it either, Janet - I can't see a little arrow, only a tick box for each county. I was about to buy a credit to view a certain marriage, and see if the search changed to include parishes once I had done that, but now I can't get the page to load at all! Maybe their site has crashed from too much use?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Just to clarify - it doesn't list the Parish next to the search results, but in filling out the search form you can specify a Parish / District, and then it will only bring up results in that Parish / District.

So for example, searching for John Morgan in the parish of Kilbroney (in Co. Down) brings up this:

5 matches for the search criteria: morgan (plus variants) john 1816-1824 Parish: KILBRONEY
                              Action Type Surname First Name Year County
                              View Baptism Morgan John 1816 Co. Down
                              View Baptism Morgan John 1817 Co. Down
                              View Baptism Morgan John 1820 Co. Down
                              View Baptism Morgan John 1822 Co. Down
                              View Baptism Morgan John 1823 Co. Down
                              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                I can't see how you do it either, Janet - I can't see a little arrow, only a tick box for each county. I was about to buy a credit to view a certain marriage, and see if the search changed to include parishes once I had done that, but now I can't get the page to load at all! Maybe their site has crashed from too much use?
                                Ok, we're obviously looking at something different, because I don't see anywhere to tick a county.

I'll make a screenshot and see if that helps.
                                Sarah

Comment

Yes, good idea, Sarah. At least the site is working again now.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Ok, this is for the Antrim & Down site (antrimdown.brsgenealogy.com), but it's worked on all the others I've tried.

On the main page, click on a database - such as births, circled in the screenshot below:

Sarah

Comment

That then brings up a page with a search form. I have drawn an arrow to show where the list of parishes appears. You just click on the arrow (or the empty box) and it brings up a list to select from.

Sarah

Comment

and this screenshot shows a completed search form and the results that produced:

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                        X