Lancashire BDM records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancashire BDM records

I've struggled to find a marriage (if there was one) between 1891 and 1901 in Lancashire.

Now I've heard that there was a problem getting records down to the GRO from Lancashire and wonder if my missing marriage might not have made it.

Therefore what can I do to try and find it?

Any suggestions?

It's also possible the wife may have been married before as she's 42 in the 1901 census with an 8 week old son which seems rather old for a first child.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

JBee

Have you looked on the Lancsbmd site? Although it isn't complete of course.

OC

Comment

Yes, but no joy.

Think it may have been a Catholic marriage as she came from Ireland, where isn't known. She's Annie Andrews formerly Norman on the baby's birth certificate and her husband is James Andrews. The archivist at the Catholic Records couldn't find the marriage for me in their records but I'm not sure which places he looked.

Her husband was in Chadderton, Oldham, Lancs in 1891 census, no sign of her though. In 1901 census they're in Burnley and she dies in 1916 in Salford so a wide area to cover.

Haven't got a conclusive death for him as a death in 1904 in Manchester fits agewise but no relative registers the death and he's down as a labourer whilst my James was a clogger.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

This page will tell you which places they've got covered so far for marriages:

Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Are these records transcribed from the actual local Register Offices own ledgers?

as opposed to the GRO indexes?

Comment

JBee

Yes they are taken from the local registers, with the local register reference number and are nothing to do with the GRO.

OC

Comment

The Local records precede the GRO transcriptions - i.e. the GRO copies are a second transcription, made more-or-less at the time.

There's a detailed description on this page: UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line, with this remark:
              An excellent discussion and further explanation of the benefits of using the original indexes instead of the secondary GRO indexes can be found in the comprehensive article by Tony Foster. Family History Factsheets
              Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X