Index to Griffith's Valuation (Ireland) now on ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index to Griffith's Valuation (Ireland) now on ancestry

It is only the index, so if you found an entry that you were interested in, you would then have to go elsewhere to find the full details - but at least if you are subscribed to ancestry, you can now search the index before deciding whether to subscribe to another site such as Irish Origins. I don't know if I was just unlucky or if it really does suffer from the usual ancestry mistranscription syndrome since out of the 3 entries listed for Sloper, one has the first name "Ricahrd"!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Er, just a warning - it appears that some entries are missing from the index because I can't find Simon Sloper, parish of Donaghadee, County Down at all, even if I leave his name out and just look at all the entries for Donaghadee. And I know he should be on there because I got his details from a couple of other places. So if you don't find somebody on the index it doesn't mean you won't find them if you pay for a sub to Irish Origins (you can always do a free name search on that site by the way, just to find out if there is an entry or not.)
    KiteRunner

Comment

I wonder if it's the complete index? There's a partial index already free online, but the complete one has only been available on Irish Origins so far.

Comment

They've also added the Tithe Applotment Books, 1824-1837, but only for Northern Ireland.

Comment

You can usually find Griffiths Index for most Irish counties fior free online but it is NOT as useful as the FULL Griffiths found on Irish Origins for which you have to pay but it is not very expensive., There is much more information on the FULL Griffiths Valuation than on just the INDEX.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            Er, just a warning - it appears that some entries are missing from the index because I can't find Simon Sloper, parish of Donaghadee, County Down at all, even if I leave his name out and just look at all the entries for Donaghadee. And I know he should be on there because I got his details from a couple of other places. So if you don't find somebody on the index it doesn't mean you won't find them if you pay for a sub to Irish Origins (you can always do a free name search on that site by the way, just to find out if there is an entry or not.)
            Wow don't often here Donaghadee being mentioned!
            My ex (hiss spit) is from Donaghadee and my older childrens aunts, uncles, cousins and grandmother all still live there.
            With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

That's interesting, Shaz, but sadly I think I came to the conclusion that the Simon Sloper of Donaghadee was the wrong one. But it's such a rare name, especially in Ireland, that I would think there must be some connection with "our" Simon Sloper.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X