Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mentioned in Despatches, WW2

Hi Folks,

I only learned last week from my 85 year old mother that both her brothers were mentioned in despatches during WW2. Both chaps are sadly no longer with us, but one of my uncles has got two children (still alive) whom I have no contact with. The other uncle never married.

Is there any way I can find more about these despatches, and more importantly, would I be eligible to get copies as I am not next of kin. I know nothing about these despatches - could anybody please enlighten me?

Many thanks,

Chris

I've googled and managed to glean that the exact number of soldiers mentioned in dispatches is unknown, which implies there are no central records.

Some soldiers were entitled to an oakleaf emblem on their medals if mentioned in dispatches.

I suppose there are two obvious routes, one is to get the individual army records, which costs about £30 takes a while and you have to be next of kin. If your mother is next of kin she has to apply, I think. Details here: Army Records Office

Or you could look at the relevant regimental diaries etc which would record such things, which are at The National Archives in Kew.

Or you could just try googling their name or their regiment and seeing if there are any specific websites which might have information.

Good luck!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Many thanks for that, Nell. I have a photograph of all three siblings, taken with their parents, during the War, but cannot see any oakleaf emblems. One chap was in the RAF and the other was in the Army, and had a very bad war from all accounts. This was the chap that still has two living children, but my Mum would be the next of kin to the other guy who never married.

I will look into possibilities of finding out more. Incidentally, were 'mentioned in despatches' reported in local rags by any chance?

My thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Would they show up in the London Gazette?
        Home

- or the TDA (prob. via your library membership)?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          Would they show up in the London Gazette?
          Home

- or the TDA (prob. via your library membership)?

Christine
          Thanks Christine - I'll have a little peek at that.

Comment

Have looked here:
            JavaScript Support Check

It has an "advanced" version which allows you to search by whole phrase (e.g. a full name).

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have looked here:
              JavaScript Support Check

It has an "advanced" version which allows you to search by whole phrase (e.g. a full name).

Christine
              Sorry I haven't been back to you sooner, Christine. I have just spent the past couple of hours on the London Gazette site. Fascinating stuff, eh? Will now go and have a look at the above that you have given me.

Chris

Comment

Have looked here:
                JavaScript Support Check

Christine
                Nowt there, I'm afraid! Not to worry as it's not the end of the world. Many thanks for your help anyway.

Chris

Comment

Do you have access to the Times Digital Archive? (a.k.a. TDA) Usually it would be via library membership; it's in the Thomson Gale database.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X