Changing name by deed poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing name by deed poll

Is there a way of finding out whether somebody changed their name by deed poll please?
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

possibly two different things here

did they change their name by deed poll and you want to know where to find a copy of that deed

or

do you assume they did it officially ?- you can just do it, and you want to find out if they did it by deed poll or just did it
    Jess

Comment

As far as I know there was no standard way to check this. Two people in my tree put a notice in The Times newspaper. Of course, you didn't (don't) have to change your name by deed poll to change your name. As long as it's not for an illegal purpose, you can call yourself what you like in this country!

Comment

Jess - I know the name was changed but want to find out if it was done officially. We are talking 1884 - 1896
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

From TNA website:

There are lots of legal ways to change a name. One way, the deed poll, gave the deed recording the name change to the person who changed their name.

Where people paid extra to have this deed enrolled in court, The National Archives will have a copy. However, the majority of people did not enrol the deed in court.

Please note that you cannot trace individual cases through the online catalogue. You will need to come and search the indexes at The National Archives.

Comment

Thanks Merry
            Jean

Comment

Perhaps they might have used a deed poll if they were going to inherit money or property. But if they changed their name to hide their past, or to use or stop using step-parents name, maybe it was not worth the bother.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I may be wrong but I seem to recall reading that some people who changed their name by deed poll had it recorded in The London Gazette, which is online.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thanks will give that a try
                  Jean

Comment

Working...
                  X