Dr Barnados Home Children to Canada 1902

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Barnados Home Children to Canada 1902

Can anyone advise me I am trying to trace my great uncle I know he went to Canada as a home child on July 1902 what I am trying to trace is his life prior to going there i.e what home he was in I know where he was born and his date of birth but the rest is a blur can anyone advise how to go about getting info.

Best bet to contact Barrnado's, I guess:

Barnardo's,
    Tanners Lane, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex IG6 1QG
    Telephone: 020 8550 8822
    Fax: 020 8551 6870

For general enquiries, please contact Dorothy Howes, Information Officer, at the address above or email dorothy.howes@barnardos.org.uk.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Milly,

I've just received my pack of records etc from Barnardo's. It's been a bit of a wait, and cost quite a bit - but it's worth it. It's filled in a fair bit of detail - but of course it raises more hunger for the rest of the unfilled gaps! But still, better to know some of it, at least.

Give them a ring, or write to them with all the details you have.

Good luck.

Bee.
      Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
      COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

What was your great uncles name

George
        Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

I wrote to Barnados at Ilford and got a lovely answer back within 10 days all for free
          It told me quite a bit I did not know including the fact their mother was still alive ???
          Which was a surprise as we were told they were orphans.
          I am now waiting on photos they said they would send
          Good luck

Comment

An orphan was a child whose father had died, not necessarily both parents.

A child whose father was still alive was not an orphan.

I think we have some useful stuff in the Wiki about British Home Children.

OC

Comment

thanks OC forgot about that WIKI isnt it odd how a child can be an orphan when one parent lives ????

Comment

Val

The old dictionary definition of orphan is "one deprived of previous protection and advantages; bereaved"

In Victorian Society (and before that too), men were the only effective providers and protectors, women were of no account and children belonged to their fathers, not to their mothers.

In the absence of the father - by death or desertion - the nearest MALE relative was responsible for the fate of the child, not the mother.

This helps to explain why so many fatherless children were APPARENTLY abandoned by their widowed mothers - they weren't necessarily abandoned, just some man came along and said what would happen to the children.

OC

Comment

Children were until relatively recently considered the property of their fathers (just as wives were).

Caroline Norton's husband took her children away from her and also Caroline's income from the books she wrote, perfectly legally, though of course immorally from our viewpoint, in the 19th century and this eventually led to laws allowing women to keep their own stuff (shock!)

My mother-in-law had a cousin whose mother died. M-i-l's parents took the girl in and were prepared to raise her but her father wanted her back so he could access money she inherited from her mother. They went to court and lost, and their solicitor told them that they would lose the appeal since the courts generally favoured fathers as blood relatives. The poor girl went back with her father and stepmother, who threw her parting-present doll out of the train window. M-i-l's maternal grandmother was so annoyed (it was her son who was the nasty father) that she stopped speaking to both him and to m-i-l's parents for years.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry everyone for not getting back sooner thank you very much for your help his name was Albert thomas Carpenter born 6 Januarry 1982 in Islington the story goes that his father dies either prior to his birth or just after his mother Alice had three older children she met an Edward Forrest and married him but he did not want the baby so Albert was placed in a home before they married she went on to have another child two years later when he was 10 he was sent to Barnardos on a ship called New England on 17 July 1902 to Canada and came back to England to fight in WW1 I would like to find out about his life as a child

Comment

my sisters were put in dr barnardo,s home when i was born as mum had just lost one baby and then fell on with me ,mum was living in one room with6 children.so they were in for 3 years and both our parents alive,so even with 2 parents certain circumstances children were put into what they called orphanges.brenda xxx

Comment

OC if I'm reading this right then why wasnt their older brother ,my grandfather ,who was married by this time responsible for looking after them ??? Any ideas ???

Comment

I think I have found Albert as a child in 1901 Census

Albert Carpenter, 9, boarding with a George and Annie Fenning in Ticehurst, Sussex, England. There two other children who were also boarding.

I am guessing he would have lived at the Barnardo Babies Castle where they cared for the babies and toddlers in Hawkhurst, Kent until he reached a certain age and then they fostered him out to a family.

George
                          Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Val

But perhaps he WAS responsible for their care - and he was the one who put them in the home.

He or his wife may not have wanted to, or been completely unable to look after the children - there was no financial help and any spare children would have just had to be squeezed in with the rest and fed and clothed from the family income.

OC

Comment

Val,

It is possible that your rellies older brother could not care for them. I did read somewhere that some societies had it in the Orphanage Admission consent form that when a child is admitted families/guardians must accept that the child may go to Canada and if they did not like this then they must take the child elsewhere.

George

Comment

OC and George, that is very enlightening it might explain why their elder brother .of whom they have no address at Barnados used a different surname on the 1901 census maybe he was worried they'd catch up with him ????
                                This gets harder and harder to understand, think I will get one of the many books on Home Children.
                                Thanks for your replies

Comment

I just cannot remember if Barnardo's put it in the forms or not.

I would suggest joining the British Home Child mailing list as there are a few list members who could answer some of your questions more confidentally than I can. In a way I envy people whose children went with Barnardos as they kept very good records on their children.

If you look at this site, there is an attached mailing list:

British Home Children Descendants - Home

My child went with a catholic group and from what I can gather her records other than her orphanage register admission entry, have not survived.

George

Comment

Also, don't forget that if the elder brother didn't want to take on responsibility for the children, then very often the Vicar or a doctor, or some other do-gooder would step in and decide that the children would be better off in a home.

In fact it is a miracle to me that any widow with children ever managed to keep the family together - her earnings from some menial job just wouldn't have been enough to keep a roof over their heads.

After months of sending her children to bed hungry, it might be easy to persuade her to let them go somewhere where they would be clothed and fed properly.

OC

Comment

I find this all so sad poor kids !!! I do know they corresponded for years to their sister over here.
                                      But of course nobody knows where the letters went !!!!! such a shame , the stories they could tell.
                                      Thanks for your replies sorry I intruded on your thread Milly hope you did not mind ???

Comment

Thank you George for the information I have looked at 1901 census I hope it is him I will contact Barnados with all the information and see if they can help
                                        Thank you once again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X