New Surrey history site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surrey history site

Surrey Heritage has launched a new website to provide information on the county's history and archaeology. The site went live yesterday (Thursday) and will make available thousands of records related to all aspects of Surrey's history.

It will include information about archaeological sites and finds, historic buildings and landscapes, taken from Surrey's Historic Environment Record, managed by the county council.

Christine Stevens, Surrey's executive member for safer and stronger communities, said: "This is a very exciting development for anyone that wants to know more about where they live. And not only can you explore the site for information, but you can also have your say. The website invites you to comment on examples that mean something to you, and you can add your own local knowledge, pictures and memories to help build the website up."

There will be tools to search the archives of Surrey History Centre, which is based in Woking, as well as stories about famous residents, and pictures of the county then and now.
    Articles include Britain's first grand prix at Brooklands in 1926, and a mention of Chertsey Bridge in Charles Dickens' novel, Oliver Twist.

Exploring Surrey's Past
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Having been to a conference which included a talk by one of those involved, I definitely feel part of Surrey's past: he looked about 15!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for that link Paul.

I've just used it & found a pic of G. Granddad's pub in Epsom!

Joanie

Comment

Many thanks, Paul -

(have just added the link to the Wiki)
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
        X