Another Sydney DPS tip - Assessment Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sydney DPS tip - Assessment Books

I've had a look at the site. It's not particularly elegant (at least not via this link) but you can work out what you want.

Thanks Gordon - and here's the link
    www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au - /assessmentbooks/
    Jenny

----- Original Message -----
    To: <dps-sydney@rootsweb.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 2:18 PM
    Subject: Re: [DPS-SYDNEY] Ryerson Lookup for Sydney Morning Herald 1992

> Hope this reaches all,
    > Some information that may be of interest to the list is that the Sydney
    > Town
    > Hall now has some Assessment Rolls online.
    > A great help for anyone looking for persons who my have rented property
    > very
    > early in Sydney and cannot get into town to read the Rolls.
    >
    >
    > Gordon Bennett
    I recommend you look at the Ward Maps first to work out which area you want - unless you already know, of course!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I'd already seen that, but although the maps are very nice, I haven't managed to download a pdf yet. How did you do it?

I noticed that only the central Sydney wards are included, but there's a nice site for Newtown where they've started digitising Rent and Assessment Books, and they've also added Sands Directories for the area:

The Newtown Project Home Page

Comment

I've just added this to the Wiki NSW page - but I think the Publications/Newspapers page is locked?

The downloading may be a function of using a Mac. I find that the London Gazette pages download rather than just appearing in a new window. Sometimes it's possible to achieve that by right-clicking and "saving target" (or some such expression) I think?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just tried again with Firefox, and it worked fine (I was using Opera before, and the pdf files wouldn't even display).

Comment

Some sites are very browser-sensitive. Presumably that's one of them

Christine

Comment

Working...
          X