X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docklands Ancestors web site question

I've just been on the Docklands Ancestors web site at

ParishRegister.com - Parish Records Online

for the first time in ages. I've found three baptisms for children of my 3xgreat grandparents but I'm sure there used to be marriages and burials on the site too and I can't find them anywhere now. Is my memory playing tricks or has the site changed?

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Ann,

I think it has only been baptisms on this site. Like you, I wish the other records were available.

Peter

Comment

Me too - think if you read around the website it does state they are hoping to eventually include other records but it is only Baptisms at mo. If you sign up for their emails you get a chance to vote for which parish you want to be transcribed next - but assume they go with the most popular which not necessarily your own!

Comment

As I might have known,it's my memory that's at fault!

At least I've found one child I didn't know about (who must have died before the 1841 census) and proved that the other two were, as I had thought, twins. It has been a successful day.

Ann
        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Ann if you have any problems just email the site owner James, he's a good bloke and will be only too happy to help with your site queries.

Comment

Baptisms, for now

I might be able to help answer this question, as I own the site

We have never had marriages or burials on the site, it's always been baptisms. The project, running for 8 years now, has been to transcribe the baptism registers of Tower Hamlets. Granted, we have strayed south of the Thames once or twice, but I have a lot of ancestors in Bermondsey & Rotherhithe !

It will be about another 5 years before we complete this task. When we do, it will then be up for debate whether we move on to marriages and burials , ( the area as I'm sure most of you know being particularly ill served by the IGI ), or whether we move on to another borough ( and Southwark is my preference ) and continue with baptism registers. If I live that long of course.

Hope that helps

James

Comment

This probably isn't the best place to pass on the info, James, but if I don't do it now, I may forget!

At least one of the CD descriptions on the site describes it as a list of burials in the first line - but the remainder of the description makes it clear that it must be baptisms. I think it might be a St Dunstan's one.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine
                You are very observant. However, a distinction you not aware of is that the online searchable databases are not the same as the CD series. The burial register you refer to is available as a CD, but not as a searchable database.
                The reason for this is that the site is not set up to search anything other than the fields within a baptism register. To alter that is a programming cost that for one minor register I cannot afford.
                Similarly you will notice 3 databases that we do not publish as CDs. The reason for that is that we do not own the copyright to this data ( they were transcribed by Rob Cottrell ), and he has published them himself.
                Hope that clears that up
                J

Comment

So it does have burials? When I read the accompanying description it was still referring to parents' names and suchlike. (I should admit that I didn't read it as closely, perhaps, as I should have done!) Or do you mean it has both?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X