Central Criminal Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Criminal Court

I'm interested in a case that was heard at the Central Criminal Court in the 1840s. Does anyone know if the Central Criminal Court was the Old Bailey and where I would find any records of the case if they still exist?

Hi
    I don't usually get a chance to reply - I'm too slow.

Old Bailey cases are online up to 1834 but the website says it is updating in Spring 2008 with records to 1913

The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, London 1674 to 1834

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff inNZ; 26-02-08, 10:02.

Comment

Ooh! That's exciting news, Cliff, I hadn't seen that on the Old Bailey site

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff inNZ View Post
        Old Bailey cases are online up to 1834 but the website says it is updating in Spring 2008 with records to 1913
        Drat, why couldn't they have made it up to 1916? That's the year I need :(

lol

Comment

Just been thinking about this a bit more so, are the Old Bailey and the Central Criminal Court one and the same thing then?

Comment

The Old Bailey is the nickname for the building. I can't remember when justice was reorganised in this country, but I think the Central Criminal Court is a more recent creation than the building itself. Someone who knows more is bound to correct me, but I think it was Kings Bench cases that were previously heard on the same site.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thank you Phoenix

Comment

The Central Criminal Court was established in 1834.

Comment

"Central Criminal Court

Universally known as the Old Bailey, this is the probably the most famous criminal court in the world, and has been London's principal criminal court for centuries. It hears cases remitted to it from all over England and Wales as well as the Greater London area. "

source: Central Criminal Court

all you have to do is google!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

*hangs head in shame*

I did google Nell :o

Comment

I did "central criminal court old bailey".

I think the records are at the Guildhall, but not sure.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have been googling again (of course now I keep finding references to them being one and the same :o) and it looks like the records are held at the National Archives.

Comment

You might find some details on the Times Digital Archives. Certainly worth checking.
                          Elaine

Comment

... and from the Old Bailey website link

A new website, replacing the current one and including all 200,000 trial reports published between 1674 and 1913, will be launched in the spring of 2008. For more information, see Project pages. If you would like to be kept informed of the progress of this project, please fill in and submit the Notification form.

.. so if you cannot find something in the Times Digital Archives it might be worth waiting a while until the above comes on line.
                            Elaine

Comment

Thank you, Elaine I've actually got the Times details so I do know what happened. I was hoping that they might have kept more records of the evidence. I've just found depositions from 1839-1971 on TNA site which looks promising

Comment

Working...
                              X