Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Lesley,
    Spoke to Haslar Cemetery (didn't know there was one) this morning but Ernest isn't there but nice try.
    Many thanks
    Terry

Comment

• Worth a try Terry. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as they say.
      Terry.

Will have a look at Anns Hill cemetery records now then. Won't be until next week though.

Will keep you posted as to what or if I find anything for you.

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Terry 49.

Have checked the Burial Records for Anns Hill Cemetery, Gosport today but unfortunately there was no record of Ernest being buried there. I checked the records from 7th Feb 1904 through to Sept. 1904....just in case!

Also, had some staff checking the National Burial Indexes for Ernest but again they found nothing. They did say though that these indexes are incomplete.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
          Thanks for looking, makes me feel better about not finding it myself! Oh well hopefully I'll find him one day.
          Terry

Comment

• Just back from Pompey and thought I would try and help someone out. Could this be your ancestor?

Deaths from quarter Jan-Feb-Mar 1904
            Name:Ernest Joseph Butcher
            District:Portsmouth
            Ref:Volume 2B Page 308

Regards
            hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

• Hscott21c

That is Terry49's Ancestor but he is trying to find out where he is buried as he can't find any record of his burial in Portsmouth. I have checked Gosport and Haslar burial records but had not luck either in finding the burial. It still remains a mystery as far as I am aware.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley and hscott,
                Yes, I'm still looking for Ernest Joseph Butcher. Thanks very much for the thought though, he must be buried somewhere! What I do know he isn't buried with his wife, she isn't buried with her second husband she's buried with two of her daughters. Where on earth can Ernest be?
                Regards
                Terry

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Me again! Have been doing a lot of research, but not in Hampshire any more. However there are the occasional 'gems' that come up, and here are two which you maybe able to help with?

1) I found an IGI reference to a Sarah Whitcomb who was buried 1n 1808:-

Name: Sarah Whitcomb
                  Burial Date: 22 Jun 1808
                  Burial Place: Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
                  Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04085-9
                  System Origin: England-EASy
                  Source Film Number: 1596133Reference Number: 3057

It is just possible that this was the first wife of George Whitcomb, so I'm keen to find if there is any more information
                  on the actual parish record. Even a age at burial would be useful.

2) For a long time I was curious what happened to Charles Benjamin Whitcomb's first wife Ann Eliza. Recently trying a
                  very 'Fuzzy' search on Free BMD I came across a Death index for :-

Whitcom_ Annie Eliza * 2_ *7

in the June 1855 quarter. The transcriber could not read the very poor fiche, so there is no locality given. I looked at
                  the 'Original' and think I can just make out Alverstoke. (I added a 'Postern' to the Free BMD record)
                  Question to you, Lesley, is could you please look at the relevant 1855 quarter and see if you could find the Burial record?

Thanks again for all your help

Ray Whitcombe

Comment

• Hello Ray, Good to hear from you again! Nice to feel 'wanted' again!

Will have a look and see what I can find for you. Anns Hill Cemetery (Alverstoke) didn't open until 1855 so hopefully there will be a record of Ann Eliza burial there!

Will be in touch ASAP

Lesley

Comment

• Message for Raywhit1942

Hi Ray,

Ann Eliza Whitcomb, Age 30, Wife of Charles B Whitcomb, Steward RN Buried Anns Hills Cemetery Gosport. 7/4/1855. Plot 57 consecrated.

Sarah Whitcomb's burial record gave no other information other than her name.

Did find an Emma Whitcomb died/buried 26/2/1881 Age 77 listed in the Holy Trinity memorial inscription book but knowing you, you probably have that information already!! Probably one of yours anyway!

Hope this helps

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Ann Eliza Whitcomb, Age 30, Wife of Charles B Whitcomb, Steward RN Buried Anns Hills Cemetery Gosport. 7/4/1855. Plot 57 consecrated.

Yes, that confirms my BMD search. Thanks so much I always wondered what happened to her - C B Whitcomb re married a year later.

Sarah Whitcomb's burial record gave no other information other than her name.

Pity, as a matter of interest would one expect to find an age at death on a circa 1808 record?? Anyone???

Did find an Emma Whitcomb died/buried 26/2/1881 Age 77 listed in the Holy Trinity memorial inscription book but knowing you, you probably have that information already!! Probably one of yours anyway!

Yep! Got this one - In fact you found it for me!!!

Ray

Comment

• looking for further information on marriage of Elizabeth Rich to James Shackleton 7/10/1855 Alverstoke Hampshire with regards to age and fathers as trying to establish link with 1861 census of the above who were living in Hunslet, Leeds, Yorkshire
                          regards
                          Kevin

Comment

• Lesley

new to this site and may have sent message earlier but relpy to this. I am looking for further information of marriage between Elizabeth Rich and James Shackleton 7/10/1855 at Alverstoke and trying to link both to 1861 census in Hunslet Leeds

regards

Kevin

Comment

• Hello Kevin,

Will See if I can find the Parish Marriage Record for you at the local Study Centre. That will give more information re fathers and ages.

Check back again on this thread. Will get back to you ASAP

Lesley Wecome to FTF by the way!!

Comment

• Look up for Kevinford

Kevin,

Found the marriage certificate you were asking about.

Married at St. Marys Alverstoke by Banns

James Shackleton Off Full Age Private RN (or RM?) Abode. HMS Simon (looks like) Father James Shackleton Proffession Smith.

Elizabeth Rich Off Full Age Abode Gosport Father Samuel Rich (from Memory I think it said Labourer but I forgot to make a note of it!!)

Witnesses were George Rich and Harriet Lovedale.

Hope this information helps.

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks Lesley

fathers name and occupation correct so I think it is the right one

currently in shropshire arcives Shrewsbury, so will check when home

many thanks again. Can you print it ? Will gladly send sae and other costs

regards

Kevin

Comment

• Hi Kevin,

I do normally print off the images but this time I didn't!!! S*ds law that!!

No problem to print it off when I am in town next. Maybe you will be able to see the name of the ship he was on and will be able to decipher it better than me!

Lesley.

Comment

• Message for Kevinford

I have a copy of the marriage cert. for you now.

I can either scan it to you or post it but obviously will need an address! Maybe you could PM me your preference with the appropriate address.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Punches Mum

I'm researching my family history, the Day family from Portsmouth.
                                        I have managed to trace my roots back to 1800, with the aid of birth certificates, marriage certicates, census reports and using find my past and family search etc.
                                        But seem to have hit a brickwall with Parish Registers, can you please help me with this problem!

Joseph Day born in Alverstoke in 1801 married Frances Marsh at Alverstoke in 7th April 1828.

Joseph's siblings I believe are James 1791, Daniel 1797 &, Mary Ann Day 1803 IGI Individual Record Batch Nos. C062612

Parents named has William Day & Elizabeth.

I can't find a surname for Elizabeth?

Which makes locating a marriage between William and Elizabeth and progressing further.

I have a list of possibles as follows:

1841 Census Andrew's Buildings Portsea. William Day - M - 70 - 1771 - Hampshire
                                        Elizabeth Day - F - 70 - 1771 - Hampshire

5th May 1778 William Day marries Elizabeth Newsam - Christchurch

1771 baptism William Day parents John & Ann - Micheldever Hampshire

Any assistance with establishing William & Elizabeth would be most appreciated!

Comment

• Hi Roddy, What makes you think that Joseph Day was born in Gosport as I have not found any records to suggest that online? Have looked at all possible sites that I know of including Knightsroot.

I can offer to search through the Parish Records for the marriage of Joseph to Frances Marsh in Alverstoke in 1828. The problem being that it will not give his mothers name nor his fathers! The only clue may come from a witness name.

Also, Baptism records of that era only give the fathers full name and the first name of his wife, so again, no surname of the mother.

I suggest you put your query on the Research board as there are other people with more knowledge than me! They may be able to help you more than me.

Let me know if you do want me to look for the marriage record.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X