No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ray, I will see what I can find for you but it won't be for a few weeks as OH has just had knee replacement surgery and I am at his 'beck and call' so to speak at the moment!!

Interesting read re the mystery birth! Will do what I can as soon as I can!

Lesley

Comment

• Ray, have replied via your private e mail address.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley,

Thanks for the help, have replied to your email.

Ray

Comment

• Thanks

Originally posted by rwhites1946 View Post
          Thanks Lesley
          Hope it is Eli the son of William and his occupation a soldier in 15th foot regiment age 21ish.If it is him he went out to Poona, India and had a son there Alfred Eli born may1875.His wife Harriet looks to have died at Poona Oct 1875.On the 1881 census there is a Bertie Lynn age 5 born INDIA living at Emsworth with head of Household Ann LOUCH who was his grandmother.This is possibly Harriet.s mother here father Henry who was dead by 1881 he was Tailor.

For years I have been trying to work out who Birtie Lynn was - I figured it was Harry's (guess that is the Harvey you refer to) son as the other grandson on the census entry was Harry's son but I'm not sure who his mother was though I suspect it may have been Sarah Maria Griffin who he married in 1884

Comment

• Another mystery solved then,Peter! Glad to have been of help....all be it of not knowingly,

Punchs Mum.

Comment

• Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport Hampshire

I have relatives buried here grandparents Elizabeth and Frederick Underwood and aunt Lillian Underwood. My grandparents both died in 1946, I have no idea where in the cemetery they are. I live in Dover Kent so cannot visit.

Comment

• The Independant Chapel in Gosport Alverstoke Hampshire

My parents were married in 1928 in this church. I have not been able to find even a reference to it, it may be that it changed its name, any help either by name or a photograph would be appreciated

Comment

• Two possible references found by googling.........

and from an earlier post on this site...

Beverley

Comment

• These are what we have in our Places of Worship Gallery for Gosport and Alverstoke:

and

It looks as though Grampa Jim will have photographed most, if not all, of the local POWs. Sadly, he is no longer with us, but maybe Punchs mum will be able to help you out to let you know if it exists still or is in fact one of those already photographed. I have merged both your requests onto her thread and I am sure she will be able to advise you about the cemetery.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

• Originally posted by underwoodsdaughter View Post
                      I have relatives buried here grandparents Elizabeth and Frederick Underwood and aunt Lillian Underwood. My grandparents both died in 1946, I have no idea where in the cemetery they are. I live in Dover Kent so cannot visit.
                      I will see if I can find the Burial Record of your grandparents at the Local Study Centre. They keep burial records of Anns Hill cemetery. Failing that, you could contact the local Gosport council that also keep records but for us locals there is a charge as they seem to know it is for Research! It has been knowm for them to supply, free of charge, a burial record and plot plan for people living outside this area. Depends how persuasive you are!!!

Was your Grandfather a Frederick George Underwood, an engine driver who retired in 1935? Have been browsing newspapers on FMP and there is an article re his retirement.

Also, do you know when your Aunt Lillian was buried?

Will let you know if or what I find as soon as I can get to town. Maybe a couple of weeks now.

Lesley
                      Last edited by Punchs mum; 01-02-16, 16:01.

Comment

• Freda, have sent you a reply to your private message.

Lesley

Comment

• Originally posted by underwoodsdaughter View Post
                          Are you sure your grandparents are buried in Ann's hill cemetery? Couldn't find any record of it when I looked at the burial records at Study Centre yesterday.
                          Did find your Aunt, Lillian Underwoods though. No guarantee it will have a headstone though but will go to cemetery and take a look as soon as I can and weather permitting

Lesley
                          Last edited by Punchs mum; 11-02-16, 08:24.

Comment

• Update for underwoodsdaughter.

I did find the burial site for your aunt Lillian yesterday! It has a headstone complete with legible script on it. No mention of others buried with her though.

If you would like a photo, let me know.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Yet another request, but this time not about the Whitcombs’ in Gosport but my other family link there namely the Malone family. Whereas I have a pretty well sourced trail from a certain Edmund Malone (1790 - 1863) cordwainer of Rodney’s Head Yard North Street I have until recently been unable to go back past his alleged birth in 1790. The birth place is stated to be Alverstoke on census returns although its 99% likely that the family have Irish origins. Recently whilst doing some digging in the Family Search site I came across a set of transcriptions relating to the Roman Catholic ‘mission’ in Gosport’s Middle Street, and these records revealed a baptism which could very likely be that of Edmund Malone in 1790. The parents were a James Malone and Henrietta Maria Burges, and there were two other baptisms from the same parents. In 1790 Catholic registrations were not legal so there are no corresponding marriages etc, BUT I then found a later C of E marriage in Portsea 1810 in which it appears that James and Henrietta finally tied the knot! Henrietta was 'of this parish’ whilst James was allegedly from HMS Hannibal. I assume from this that James most likely originated from the emerald isle and was in the RN most likely as a carpenter? (HMS Hannibal had just been fitted out at HM Dockyard Portsmouth and would have been in process of being handed over to the RN at the time of James’ marriage)

My immediate question is what records does the History Center have on the RC chappel in Midddle Street in addition to the details already published by the present day RC church St Mary’s Gosport?

Another related question relates to a later generation of the Malone family who lived in Brockhurst Road. Their address was stated to be at “Toll Bar Cottages”, a bit of research revelled that this location is considered by Hampshire CC to be of historical interest, the present address being 196 - 198 Brockhurst Road. This comes up on Google maps and a glimpse can be got on street view , behind a hedge. There is no other historical data that I can find on this historical site, possibly the History Center could help? There is in fact a lot of information on this branch of the Malone family on Ancestry, a family decendant has posted a lot of photos etc, but as I’m not a paid subscriber I cannot get into these records - will attempt to try at my local library some time soon??

Regards

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray, good to hear from you again! Have replied to you via mail

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley
                                  I'm on the trail of a Sarah (Ann) FORVIS, born in Hampshire (possibly Gosport) about 1813, who married one of the many John WILLIAMS on 2 May 1836 St Marys Portsea, lived in South Street Gosport in 1841, and who died in 1851 (prior to the census) and was buried 17 Mar 1851 at Holy Trinity Gosport. I have not found any record of her birth and very few references to FORVIS; perhaps a non-conformist baptism. Is there any further information within the burial record (her surname then would be WILLIAMS), please, and any other thoughts that you may have about the origin of the family FORVIS? Many thanks

Comment

• Hi Greg,

Will see what I can find but don't hold your breath! Sounds like the name could be a mistranscription.

Lesley

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                      Hi Greg,

Will see what I can find but don't hold your breath! Sounds like the name could be a mistranscription.

Lesley
                                      That was my thought. I was trying to think what name it could be, and wondered about JARVIS. You really do need to see the original documents. I have a Portsea marriage where the bride's surname was given as LANSBURRY - and, having seen an image of the original document, I can fully understand how/why - but it should be SANSBURRY (a variant of SAINSBURY).

TOOMIS / LOOMIS (both also very rare) are other possibilities.

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Did she sign her marriage record / what did the vicar write / are there family witnesses? These might help to determine her name.

Comment

• As another suggestion....PURVIS?

Comment

Working...
                                          X