Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Lesley

A Mere Coincidence?

I've been for the last few weeks tidying up my data concerning Elizabeth Hawford nee Elizabeth Whitcomb. I especially wished / wish to find her 'status' in Gosport and Family connections. Much I already knew, but owing to 'recycled' names and the early death of her first child, Eliza Hawford, I totally missed the fact that she had another daughter, Frances Eliza Hawford.
    This came to light on a visit to the NA and a few letters claiming widows pension, this 'new' discovery led to a further interesting branch in my tree.

Although Elizabeth's children are mentioned in various legal documents I cannot find their baptism records in Family Search, which is fairly good in the Gosport area.

The records I'd like to see are:

1) Eliza Hawford born circa 1789 Alverstoke
    2) Henry Hawford born circa 1791 Alverstoke
    3) Frances Eliza Hawford born circa 1795 Alverstoke
    4) Sophia Hawford born circa 1796 Alverstoke

and two marriages which are on the IGI

5} Sophia Hawford & Heneage William Creswell 17 Dec 1812 Alverstoke
    6) Frances Eliza Hawford & Henry Priddle 05 Oct 1820 Alverstoke

On the marriages I'm mainly interested in witnesses etc.

Frances Eliza Hawford and son Henry Creswell Priddle lived with mother Elizabeth Hawford at "Hawford Lodge" possibly after the death of husband Henry Priddle in 1830 - certainly they are together on the 1841 census. Elizabeth died in 1850 and daughter Frances Eliza Hawford appears to have handled the probate? she did give her address as "Hawford Lodge" in a letter claiming some back pension.

I have also been looking very closely as to the exact whereabouts of "Hawford Lodge", was it in fact a public house?? or a separate dwelling? There is an advert in the Hampshire Telegraph Saturday july 27 1850; issue 2651 which offers the late Mrs Hawford's abode for sale - A Freehold detached Residence with Chaise House Stable , partly walled Garden and plot of building land etc etc. If you or any other contributors have any further info' I'd be very grateful.

Looking at Gosport history it seems that this area round the White Hart was crossed by the old stokes bay railway branch which was built circa 1855-1863 This must have altered the look of the area somewhat, now its all gone for many a year and the layout has been corrupted yet again - thus making reference to old maps and photos very 'confusing'!

Finally Elizabeths daughter Sophia married very young, at 17, and her match, Heneage William Creswell was 36! They only had one 'recorded' child, Sophia Matilda Creswell, who was born in 1838 when Sophia would have been 42 - husband William would have been about 62. These dates / ages are a bit extreme, but not impossible. However its very surprising there were no earlier children. I believe the 'only' daughter, Sophia Matilda Creswell, (or her Maid) mentioned that there were some earlier but they died. Its just possible that such children could have been born in Alverstoke upto circa 1826 when Heneage William took his retirement from the RM, Its an unusual name so you may notice it when scrolling the records - if you do remember me!

Incidentally Sophia Matilda Creswell emigrated to Australia shortly after the death of her mother, Sophia, in 1862 - just after being taken to Court by Aunt Frances Eliza Priddle over the inheritances !!!!

Ray

Comment

• Morning Ray,
      It would appear that you are not the only person on the trail of Elizabeth Hawford!

I assume you have read the above postings by Grasshopper.

Won't be able to get to town until next week but will check out those records for you.

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Raywhit

Made a quick visit to SC today to look up your requests. Makes it easy when I have exact dates!

Henry Priddle OTP married Frances Eliza Hawford OTP on 5/10/1820 by Licence with the consent of P? Robertson? ( Not very legible)

Witness were the above mentioned P? Robertson?and Emma Whitcomb!

Heneage William Cresswell,a Major of the Parish of Stonehouse(?) Plymouth married Sophia Hawford, a minor of the age of seventeen, OTP by Licence with the consent of Eliza Hawford, Mother of Sophia on 17/12/1812

Witness were Eliza Hawford and Eliza Hawford!!! (different signatures)

I didn't get copiesof these records but if you need them, please let me know. Maybe you would recognise the name.

Couldn't find any baptisms for the other four Hawfords at St. Marys Alverstoke in spite of searching between 1788 and 1798. Is there a chance they could be at Holy Trinity do you think? Didn't have time to look there today.

Also, had a quick look at the maps of Stoke Road area for Hawford House but the earliest maps the SC hold are 1860 and I could find nothing that even sounded like that name. There are some flats there today for older persons called Homefort House!!! I wonder if that is a derivative of the name??? These are obviously recent build. Purely guess work on my part but a lot of road names in Gosport have a historical connections. Just a thought!

Regards Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thanks for the look up - very interresting. Emma Whitcombe and Frances Eliza Hawford were ist Cousins so Emma as a witness makes sence. Also you mention Frances married by consent, this would imply that she was under the age of 21 and together with some census info places her birth date circa 1800. The Hawford children could indeed have been baptised at any church / chapel in Gosport, and considering their Father was in the RN I suppose just about anywhere!

On the other marriage, that of Sophia I would assume that the other Eliza Hawford was a Sister of the late Edward Hawford - Sophia's Father?

As for 'Hawford Lodge' I too have looked at some circa 1860 maps on the Old Mars website. Unfortunately they are all post railway, so the 'Lodge' may have been 'redeveloped' by then. Did you manage to see the Hampshire Telegraph advert? I remember you mentioning that the library had free access.

It would be useful for me to have a copy of the marriages you found, an emailed scan would be ideal. (and any old photos of the White Hart and Halfway House)

Thanks

Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
            Made a quick visit to SC today to look up your requests. Makes it easy when I have exact dates!

<snip>
            Heneage William Cresswell,a Major of the Parish of Stonehouse(?) Plymouth married Sophia Hawford, a minor of the age of seventeen, OTP by Licence with the consent of Eliza Hawford, Mother of Sophia on 17/12/1812

<snip>
            Regards Lesley.
            (East) Stonehouse is one of the Three Towns, along with Plymouth and Devonport, which became called Plymouth.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Look up for Grasshopper.

Sorry I am unable to help you with your search in Gosport for your ancestors.

All I can conform is the burial of James Garner at Anns Hill cemetery on 22nd November 1860 Plot 49 consecrated and the burial of Elizabeth Garner of Bury Road at St. Marys on 26/5/1845 aged 45 and 4 months. But then I think you probably knew all this anyway.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley, do you know if the parish records for Ashley (early 1800s) are available at the centre you visit?
                Elaine

Comment

• Sorry Elaine. Only the Parish records for Alverstoke/Gosport available at the local Study Centre where I go.

Lesley

Comment

Sorry Elaine. Only the Parish records for Alverstoke/Gosport available at the local Study Centre where I go.

Lesley
                    OK, thanks.
                    Elaine

Comment

Look up for Grasshopper.

Sorry I am unable to help you with your search in Gosport for your ancestors.

All I can conform is the burial of James Garner at Anns Hill cemetery on 22nd November 1860 Plot 49 consecrated and the burial of Elizabeth Garner of Bury Road at St. Marys on 26/5/1845 aged 45 and 4 months. But then I think you probably knew all this anyway.

Lesley
                      Thanks for trying Lesley. I have always been intriqued with Elizabeth's age at death quoted with the number of months of her age (45 and 4 months), as though a point is being made. Not rare with a child, but unusual on an adult's death certificate/burial record ; have you seen anything like this before?

Comment

• Hi, I wonder if you would be so kind and if you have time, look up a marriage between Thomas Beddell and Charlotte Foster in Alverstoke. The marriage was registered in the qtr Jul, Aug, Sep 1857.
                        Many thanks,
                        Kath

Comment

• Hello Kath, Welcome to the forum

Will take a look for you as soon as I can. Keep checking back on the thread for reply

Lesley

Comment

Hello Kath, Welcome to the forum

Will take a look for you as soon as I can. Keep checking back on the thread for reply

Lesley

That is very kind of you Lesley and thank you for the welcome. It looks a great site, am still in the explorer stage!

Kath

Comment

• Message for KatherineM re look up.

Hi Kath,

Marriage by Banns was at St.Marys Alverstoke on 2/8/1857

Thomas Beedell OFA a Bachelor profession Brickb ? Abode Forton father was George Beedell Also a Brickb ?

married Charlotte Foster OFA Spinster Abode Forton father William Foster a BrickB ?

Both signed with a mark'X'

Witness were William Richardson and Jane Richardson who also both signed with a mark'X '

Sorry I couldn't make out what the profession of Thomas, his father George and Charlotte's father William were! No doubt you would know that anyway.

Didn't do a print out but if you want one it is no problem. Let me know.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

Thank you so much, it is really appreciated.

I can now hopefully find Charlotte, before her marriage!

Would you please be as kind to tell me what OFA is, have tried working it out and even "googled" it, to no avail :-)

Many thanks,

Kath
                                Last edited by KatherineM; 26-08-12, 07:44.

Comment

• Doh! Have just worked out, that it must mean "of full age"!!

Comment

• Sorry Katherine!

I assumed you would know what OFA was. LOL

True what the say about 'never assume!'

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley, you were kind enough to help me out before. Could you do another look-up for me, please?
                                      It is for a marriage of Richard Preston and Maria Cowie, at Alverstoke, 19 July 1812, according to Family Search. If there are any further details given it would be a great help.

Thanks,

Elaine

Comment

• Hi Elaine,

Will take a look for you.....maybe today even! Am planning to go to town.

Lesley.

Had a look for you today and unfortunately couldn't find a marriage either at St.Mary's Alverstoke or Holy Trinity. Very strange as Family Search gave the exact date!

Looks like they possibly had their children baptised at St.Mary Portsea. Could the marriage have been there? Do Family Search make mistakes??? I don't know.

Sorry couldn't help.
                                        Last edited by Punchs mum; 07-09-12, 15:58. Reason: Added to post

Comment

• Thanks for checking, anyway, Lesley. I know someone who may be able to check the St Mary's Portsea records for me, so will try that next. I can't figure why members of my Portsea based family keep getting married in Alverstoke, anyway! But there may be others, so will be in touch if I come across more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X