Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
    Hi Elaine,

Will take a look for you.....maybe today even! Am planning to go to town.

Lesley.

Had a look for you today and unfortunately couldn't find a marriage either at St.Mary's Alverstoke or Holy Trinity. Very strange as Family Search gave the exact date!

Looks like they possibly had their children baptised at St.Mary Portsea. Could the marriage have been there? Do Family Search make mistakes??? I don't know.

Sorry couldn't help.
    The marriage appears twice on FamilySearch:
    with batch number "I03995-0", the groom is "Rich. PRESTON", Source Film Number: 1596020
    with batch number "M07357-6", the groom is "Richard VRISTON", Source Film Number: 918903

In both cases the date is 19 Jul 1812, and the church is at Alverstoke - with unspecified saintly dedication for the Church, which generally means it's the principal parish church for the named place.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-09-12, 10:10.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Christine......so Family Search DO make mistakes!!! LOL

I will take another look then at the Alverstoke marriages...this time for a Richard VRISTON. Must admit though that the fiches were not too clear plus I think the Microfiche reader is past its sellby date now. Even the staff in the Study Centre say they have many complaints about it but due to 'cutbacks' nothing gets done about it. There are only two microfiche readers available one of which is more time consuming to use and s*ds law, that is the better of the two readers!!.

Lesley
      Last edited by Punchs mum; 08-09-12, 10:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
        Christine......so Family Search DO make mistakes!!! LOL

I will take another look then at the Alverstoke marriages...this time for a Richard VRISTON. Must admit though that the fiches were not too clear plus I think the Microfiche reader is past its sellby date now. Even the staff in the Study Centre say they have many complaints about it but due to 'cutbacks' nothing gets done about it. There are only two microfiche readers available one of which is more time consuming to use and s*ds law, that is the better of the two readers!!.

Lesley
        It could be that one of the two films is Bishop's transcripts, of course. And - in script - it's not impossible to imagine that VRISTON and PRESTON could look very similar.

In OH's tree there's a marriage at St Mary's Portsea (3 Feb 1825), where the bride's surname is transcribed as LANSBURRY, but it should be (subject to the difficult-to-read image) SA(I)NSBUR(R)Y. I had great fun following up the career of the groom, James WHITEHEAD, who was part of the crew of HMS Victory at the time, but eventually realised that the chance of him really being OH's ancestor was really minute: "their" daughter, Caroline, was baptised in Jan 1834, and the censuses indicate that she was baptised as a babe, but her "father" is shown as having "run" from his ship in Dec 1828; the arithmetic just doesn't work for a "run" sailor to return to a major naval port to father a daughter.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Belated message for Lemmonaid!

Thanks to Christine, I have been back to check the Parish Records again, this time for Richard VRISTEN!! Lo and behold, there is the marriage to Maria Cowie on the date you gave me!! Very poor writing by whoever filled in the Parish Record! Plus also very feint. Definately your couple though.

However, not much more info than you already know, marriage by Banns and the witness were Wm. Preston and John Gear (who I think is probably the Parish Clerk)

Sorry to send you off in the wrong direction ie Portsea!

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks Lesley (and also Christine!)

Funnily enough, I have just got a 6 month sub to "Ancestry" with a FamilyTree maker programme, and have (about 5 minutes ago) found the Pallot's Marriage transcript for the marriage, and they have it as Vuston!! If it should be Preston, then I think I am on to a marriage which eluded me for ages - Maria, as a widow of Richard Preston may have married my great great grandfather Robert Carter at a later date - I am waiting for the marriage cert now. I really hope I am on the right track with this!!

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

Comment

• Hi Lesley
              I wonder if you could find the birth or any other information on a Harry Skeats stated on his army medical and discharge record he was born 1895 Gosport Hants can find nothing about him before he gave a Oxfordshire address in 1919 after he left the army where he married. only his Army medical and disharge papers found no enlistment

Born Gosport Hants 1895?
              put in a children's home ?
              mother may have been a Fanny ?
              no father's name may have been a policeman who got killed ( family rumour )
              have been searching all different versions of the name Skeats but no luck, would be very grateful if you could help,

thank you annabel

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemmonaid View Post
                Thanks Lesley (and also Christine!)

Funnily enough, I have just got a 6 month sub to "Ancestry" with a FamilyTree maker programme, and have (about 5 minutes ago) found the Pallot's Marriage transcript for the marriage, and they have it as Vuston!! If it should be Preston, then I think I am on to a marriage which eluded me for ages - Maria, as a widow of Richard Preston may have married my great great grandfather Robert Carter at a later date - I am waiting for the marriage cert now. I really hope I am on the right track with this!!

Thanks for your help,

Elaine
                Really pleased that the FTF team-work was helpful. Certainly that "Maria, as a widow of Richard Preston" seems very possible, with the additional info.

Christine

Comment

• Hi Annabel. Have looked on Free BMD and can only see a Henry Skates b.1894 Gosport.

Do you think this may be him? If this is a possibility I could look for a Baptism which would show his parent/s.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

thank you for replying, have ruled Henry Skates out, I think Harry Skeats may be younger than he said so he could enlist in the Army just a thought.

Annabel

Comment

• Hello again Lesley
                      I wonder is you are able to help identify the parents of Thomas TIMPSON, who was christened St Mary's Portsea (not your patch, but please read on), 10/06/1787, parents Thomas TIMPSON and Elizabeth. No obvious marriage for the parents on FamilySearch, but there is a marriage there of Thomas SIMPSON and Elizabeth SHERRING on 30Nov1782 at Alverstoke. Tsand S's do get confused, are you able to look at the register to see whether it is SIMPSON with a T? Maybe the banns may help as well? Are there any details of witnesses? Are you able to provide a copy? Many thanks.

Comment

• Hello again!

Will take a look for you as soon as I can. Not so sure there will be much about witnesses though around that time!

Will be in touch ASAP

Lesley

Comment

• Message for Grasshopper.

Have copy of Parish Records for the marriage you were asking about.

Will mail it to your private e mail address.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi

Its me again! Looking for a few Burial records and a Marriage.

1) Marriage - Witnesses and status required.
                            Robert Boswell & Ann Malone
                            26 Mar 1798
                            Alverstoke,Hampshire,England

2) Burial - Age?
                            Susanna Boswell
                            27 Jul 1797
                            Gosport, Hampshire, England

3) Burial - Age?
                            Robert Boswell
                            10 Sep 1816
                            Gosport, Hampshire, England

All the above were in FamilySearch, so I suppose the 'originals' are findable.

Cheers

Ray

Comment

• Ray, I'm sure Lesley will help you.

Just to let you know that I have the Marriage Index containing your marriage and it appears that both the bride and the groom were widow and widower respectively.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Robert Boswell was 77 at burial.
                                The record I have doesn't show an age for Susanna.

Perhaps Lesley can find out more.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Hello again Ray,

Will see what I can find for you and be in touch as soon as possible!

Lesley

Looks like Elizabeth Herts has a faster bike than me Ray!! LOL:D

Comment

• Alverstoke lookup for RayWhit

Hello Ray,

Can confirm there is no age shown for Susanna Boswell burial. Seems they are not included in that era. Roberts age was as Elizabeth quoted in above post...age 77.

The marriage of RobertBoswell and Ann Malone was again as quoted by Elizabeth Widow and Widower both of this parish. By Licence. Witness were Edith Hall and ? Malone. Could begin with an M or a W!!! If you need a copy of this record, let me know.

Regards Lesley.

Comment

• Hello Lesley

Thanks for the look up. Yes, I would like a scan / image of the marriage record - no hurry.

One other thing, a general comment / enquiry aimed at other users of this particular thread, is that
                                      does anyone know of a researcher who may do a similar look up service for Portses / Portsmouth.
                                      The reason I ask is that I've found that many of the 'ancesters' appear to have got married over the
                                      harbor in Portsea although they lived in Gosport. I'm sure that this is not an isolated case regarding research for
                                      the Portsea / Gosport area. I would not expect you personally to make such excursions as I see that travel
                                      between Gosport and Portsmouth is a tad problamatic - Oh why did thay scrap the 'Floating Bridge' or better
                                      replace it with a tunnel. I suppose the Victorians had 'run out of steam'!! Pun not intended.

I did at one time have a contact on this forum who did offer such a service, but unfortunately he seems to have
                                      given up???

Ray

Comment

• Ray, I have some of my ancestors who also took a trip across the water to Portsmouth to marry! It was usually when they had something to hide....ie calling themselves widowed when they weren't!!! In fact, my G.Grandfather was 80 when he done just that and his 'bride' was 70 before he made an honest women of her!!!

I think it was quite a common thing to do.

Maybe you should put your request for Portsea look ups on a different thread where it is more likely to be seen.

Will get you a copy of the marriage cert. when I am in town next, probably next week now though.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi

If its not too late could you also get a copy of the burial of Robert Boswell that shows his age - 77 Years I believe.

Thanks

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                          X