Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello David

Managed to get to Study Centre yesterday but unfortunately the Parish Records do not show any Gibbins as witness!
    Samuel and Mary were both of this Parish. No other information than that. Witness were Jn. Gear ( which I think from past look ups is a Parish Clerk) and the other witness name was difficult to transcribe but looked like Ron? Hide?! The best interpretation I can do! Oh and the marriage was by Banns.

Did find another Gibbens marriage to a Fanny Betteridge in 1827. I did check That one but again, not a Gibbins/Gibbens as a witness.

The burial records of Hannah and John Gibbens showed no ages. Nothing other than the names. Had a quick check for baptisms but not easy as script is feint and written close together. Didn't find anything. The problem with records of this era!!

Sorry I could not be of any help. Also had a quick look at the Hampshire IGI index. It seems Hampshire is awash with Gibbons/Gibbens/Gibbins!! So gave up!!! Don't really understand the purpose of this index.

Lesley
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 09-08-16, 09:34.

Comment

• Hi, Punchs Mum,

Can you please help me with a marriage for James Ford, born Alverstoke in about 1759? He may have been a publican in later years. The records show a marriage between a James Ford and a Mary Abraham on 21st June 1796. However, his daughter, Mary Ford (my 3xGGM) was born in 1790 (bap. 28th July) and a six-year gap between her birth and her parents' marriage seems a mite long to me. I feel sure there must be another Mary lurking about somewhere. If you could find her, or any information about this family, I'd be truly grateful.

Kind regards,

Jill

Comment

• hello Jill,

I am sorry but I don't think I can help you with this one! My offer is to check out baptisms,marriages and burials from actual Parish registers held on micro film to confirm what information you already have and if required I will get photo copies. I do not do researching. Also, parish records of the era you are wanting does not give much info and is sometimes very feint!
        Maybe this post would get a more favourable response on the Research Thread where someone may be able to help you.

Punchs mum

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
          hello Jill,

I am sorry but I don't think I can help you with this one! My offer is to check out baptisms,marriages and burials from actual Parish registers held on micro film to confirm what information you already have and if required I will get photo copies. I do not do researching. Also, parish records of the era you are wanting does not give much info and is sometimes very feint!
          Maybe this post would get a more favourable response on the Research Thread where someone may be able to help you.

Punchs mum
          Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't properly understand what you covered. Thank you for explaining, and the suggestion. Sorry to have troubled you.

Actually, I do still have links with Gosport and often visit there, but I have no idea how to go about looking at microfilm information. If you're willing to give me a lesson some time, the coffee and cakes are on me !

Comment

• Jill, I need more lesson myself since they installed a new all singing and dancing microfiche reader! Lol. It is a great thing and prints out so clear but I haven't really got great confidence myself on it!

The staff at the Study Centre are helpful though and on Wednesday mornings they have a drop in session for help for searching family history. Maybe a visit then would be your answer. I used to spend many hours searching when the old reader was still there but now I don't do blanket searching. I find it too time consuming now.

Punchs mum

Comment

• Please could I ask about baptism records for Alverstoke regarding the Black family. I have three children born to John and Ann: Mary Ann 1800, Henry 1802, Elizabeth Ann 1804. These dates are approximate. The other three children were baptised in Portsea.

Just wonder if there is any additional information regarding the parents. Unfortunately I don't know the maiden name for mother Ann.

As I am a new member I hope I have got this right!

Comment

• Mary Ann Black parents John and Ann
                baptised 18th May 1800

Henry Black parents John and Ann
                baptised 14th November 1802

Elizabeth Black parents John and Ann
                baptised 11th September 1804

These transcriptions are available on CD and on FMP.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Hi; Could I request a look-up for a marriage between HENRY TIPPEN & HARRIET TRICKEY wed in Alverstoke 4th of May, 1847
                  The entry comes from FamilySearch but I can find no other references to it. Interested in knowing the parents of Harriet and father's occupation if noted.
                  Cheers

Comment

• Hi Lesley - as of today images of the records for Gosport / Alverstoke / Forton parishes up to 100 years ago [cut off date for privacy reasons] are now available on FMP. It means you won't have to use that darned fiche reader so much now!

BTW: the records for Portsmouth / Portsea / Emsworth and many other nearby parishes are also now available from FMP.

This is great news for those with Gosport / Portsmouth ancestors

Comment

• What is FMP?

Comment

• The addition of Portsmouth area records to FMP is the best news for me. I have spent the past few viewing and downloading images for my many ancestors and wider family from the area.

Grasshopper - FMP is the abbreviation for FindMyPast.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Hi Bertie! That,s good news then! Pity my subs are with Ancestry though and not FMP!!!

Might have to consider going back to FMP then although I had trouble negotiating that site last time I joined it!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi all - the Bishops Transcripts of these records are indexed on familysearch.org. If you go to a familysearch library you can view the images. The Parish records are also on-line you may need to search the Catalog for the film number - again these films can be browsed in a familysearch library - you can find your nearest familysearch library on their website. familysearch is currently digitising all their films so it is worth checking the catalog for what has been digitised. Some of the films can be accessed from home, others you need to be in a familysearch library
                            Regards
                            Gillian

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                              Hi Bertie! That,s good news then! Pity my subs are with Ancestry though and not FMP!!!

Might have to consider going back to FMP then although I had trouble negotiating that site last time I joined it!

Lesley
                              One option is to buy just a month's sub. (I think about £10) - if you are well organised and know which records you want it might be a very cost effective option.

The records cover the deaneriis of Fareham, Gosport, Havant & Portsmouth.

As far as I can see FMP has all the records familysearch have [indexed] and more up to c1916 although I've found some of the transcription names a bit different. But if you know an event happened it's easy enough to tweak the search box content.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips Bertie! Might wait and see if they do a free weekend or is it only Ancestry that do that? Must admit my researching has wained a bit lately, can't seem to get back any further with my elusive Richard Dyer b.I.O.W! I think everybody named Dyer had a son named Richard!!

Comment

• I just double checked and I can get FMP through my local library in Australia. Yay! I might even be able to help someone out.
                                  hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

Comment

• Hello
                                    After all these years I seem no closer to understanding the factors resulting in the demise of the family members of James GARNER, publican, owner of The White Hart and other properties at Halfway House (Gosport/Alverstoke). (see earlier posts on this thread). After James' death in 1860, his children Ann, Charles, James and John F appear to inherit well - according to his Will, but subsequently appear to loose their wealth. There are a couple of requests for Claims on James' estate (1881 and 1884), but what happened? Do the local papers have any insight? Does anybody have any local knowledge? Thanks.

Comment

• The information you refer to was back in 2012, not sure if I found all the info, I assume that you found all the tree links? Perhaps a quick summary maybe helpful.

I don't have a subscription the BNA I visit the library to view. I can see that there are a number of articles about the pub and bankruptcy, the hampshire times and the portsmouth times and naval gazette are both on there.

There is also a tree on ancestry with additional information but this maybe yours?

the son looks to have taken over the tavern, here is one transcribed quote: "John Ferris Garner, landlord cf the M White Hart tavern, was summoned on charge of firing off gun in the highway on the January. Mr. Field attended for defendant ..."

"Application was made by Mr. H. Ford, of Fortsea, on behalf of Mr. John F. Garner, for pirmiMOu remove his license from the Old White Hart (where the trade had been completely destroyed by the Stokes Bay Railway Company diverting the ..."

I searched for - garner "white hart" - and limited it to 1850 to 1900 and to Hampshire - there seems to be a good choice of articles, so maybe check out if your library has access, I think there maybe a bit or reading
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Thanks for your reply Carolyn. My eyes lit up when I saw that you'd found a reference to a bankruptcy, but there didn't actually appear to be a Garner one. There were a couple of other interesting articles including an imprisonment within the Garner family, but the search goes on for lost wealth. Many thanks.

Comment

• I had assumed the one about the trade had been destroyed would have led to loss of money? what did the article say?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                          X