Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah FORVIS' marriage entry 1836

Thanks for your comments. Attached is a copy of Sarah FORVIS' 1836 marriage entry - any further thoughts welcome.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Although Sarah only made her mark, the vicar's spelling of her name and that of the witness to her mark both clearly state FORVIS

Comment

• There are very few records with this surname around this time. However, the family may have been RC. For example, familysearch has a few records for Catholic Church, St. Andrews, Newcastle-upon-Tyne with baptism for Mary in 1839 and Henry in 1841 to Joseph FORVIS & Elizabeth NICHOL. Ancestry has their (very likely RC, given the latin names) marriage 03 Feb 1838 Newcastle with the parents of each couple as:

Henrici & Joanna FORVIS (Henry & Joan)
        Jacobi & Isabella NICHOL (James & Isabella) [NICHOL could denote Scottish roots]

There is also a criminal record for Ann FORVIS Summer 1831 Gloucestershire [procuring counterfeit coin - 6 months]

Comment

• Census wise I can only find:

1851 Thomas FORVIS (ancestry transcribed as FORRIS) in Clerkenwell age 58, married born St George's Middlesex. Piece 1517 Folio 6 Page 4
          1851 ELiza FORVIS born 1839 - this is on MyHeritage and I can't find the corresponding record on ancestry (probably surname is different)
          1851 Mary FORVIS age 18 born Shireoaks Notts - this is on familysearch

Looking in a bit more detail the FORVIS Glos above could be one of the many FARVIS names on familysearch from Glos

Sorry not to be of more help

Comment

• On the theme of FORVIS / FARVIS there is (long shot?):

Name Sarah Farvis
            Gender Female
            Christening Date 21 Apr 1816
            Christening Place Winterbourne, Gloucester, England
            Father's Name Joseph Farvis
            Mother's Name Elizabeth

(from familysearch)

Comment

• Could her name be Ferris? Will be interesting what the burial record says when I can get to hopefully find it.

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks for your responses Bertie
                The Winterbourne Christening is a possibility; the best guess at her dob, so far has been 1813. There are currently two RC churches in Gosport (from Grandpa Jim), whether they were around then; whether and what records exist, I don't know. There were also four or more non-conformist churches, do these churches have "parish" records available?

Comment

• I did wonder about the possibility of FERRIS, Lesley, but didn't get any where with it then. As you may remember, I have an ancestor at about the same time, also in Alverstoke, that has Ferris as a second Christian Name (John Ferris GARNER 1841 - 1895). The surname FERRIS does appears quite frequently. In the context of JFG, I hoped that it might lead me to a Grandfather, but I failed to find a link. Greg

Comment

• Greg,
                    Found the burial record for Sarah Williams. The only extra information in the record was her age of 37. Probably no guarantee that it is accurate but may throw a light on some other information. I noticed our Study Centre keep Hampshire IGI. Tried looking at that for clues but only got her marriage in Portsea info which you already know.

The mystery continues.....
                    Lesley

Comment

• Helen Brock

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                      Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
                      Lesley.
                      Hello
                      My grandfather first wife died in about 1898. She was born in Scotland. I was wondering if you could find a death certificate
                      His name was William Henry Bond born in Alverstoke in 1861 father Samuel Bond 1839-1899

Comment

• Not too sure of what you are actually requesting.

Is it as burial record? Death certificates are not available on microfiche! Could you be a bit more explicit on what you are looking for and for who.

Comment

• My grandfathers first wife was Helen Brock born in scotland.

Comment

• I am looking for the death certificate of Helen Brock born 1862 in Fife Scotland she married by grandfather in India. (William H Bond b. 1862 Born In Alverstoke, Hampshire .Then moved back to England, in 1891 in Lancaster, Lancashire. She died at 36.

Comment

• So you're looking for a burial record of Helen Bond 1898?

Do you know where she passed away then, was it Alverstoke, Gosport, Hants?

Edit...have just checked FreeBmD and there is no Helen Bond death in alverstoke area in this time era. Sorry.

Lesley
                              Last edited by Punchs mum; 15-05-16, 20:43.

Comment

• Hi, I'm new to the site. I have been trying to find a record of someone who died in Gosport in 1961. The person in question was my mother, Lilian Olive Thorpe, aged 42, died Aug/Sept? 1961 in Gosport. Any chance you can help?

Comment

• Originally posted by NigeT View Post
                                  Hi, I'm new to the site. I have been trying to find a record of someone who died in Gosport in 1961. The person in question was my mother, Lilian Olive Thorpe, aged 42, died Aug/Sept? 1961 in Gosport. Any chance you can help?
                                  Do you have her death certificate? If not, here are the details you will need to order it from the GRO:

Deaths Sep 1961
                                  THORPE Lilian O
                                  Age 41
                                  District Gosport
                                  Volume 6b
                                  Page 272

Last edited by Caroline; 18-05-16, 10:31. Reason: Wonky spelling and interrupted by the phone!!
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                    Do you have her death certificate? If not, here are the details you will need to order it from the GRO:

Deaths Sep 1961
                                    THORPE Lilian O
                                    Age 41
                                    District Gosport
                                    Volume 6b
                                    Page 272

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
                                    Will that give deatils of any burial?

Comment

• The death certificate does not give details of burial. It gives the cause of death, the place of death and the informant.

Do you think she was buried in Gosport? It may have been a cremation.

Lesley

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                        The death certificate does not give details of burial. It gives the cause of death, the place of death and the informant.

Do you think she was buried in Gosport? It may have been a cremation.

Lesley
                                        Unfortunately, I don't know. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• I am looking for information on Southwell Bowler who was buried 25 AUG 1781 in Gosport. I was able to find him on a free website in the Bishop's transcripts but it only lists his name and date of burial. I am wondering if the actual burial record from the church would have a little more information (like where he is buried). I know that he was a purser in the Navy and his family was associated with Holy Trinity Church in Gosport. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X