Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull History Centre Lookup

Wink Hull History Centre Lookup

My ancestor, Moses Wilkinson, served in the East Yorkshire Militia in 1806 when his unit was stationed at barracks in Woodbridge, Suffolk. He was again serving with the East Yorkshire Militia in 1813 when they were sent to Edinburgh during the Napoleonic Wars.

The Hull History Centre has a volume entitled, "Ledger of the East Yorkshire Local Militia, 1813-1816" (http://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.o...talogue/U-DP17). I am hoping to find additional information regarding Moses Wilkinson, especially an approximate year of birth. In the baptism of his son, Aaron Wilkinson, dated 1810 from Sunderland, Durham, Moses states he was born in Sowerby, West Yorkshire. However, there are several Moses Wilkinson's born between 1750 and 1795 in Sowerby and I am unable to pin down the names of his parents.

Our family only has an oral tradition of Moses Wilkinson serving in the British Army. However, I recently obtained a copy of the baptism of his daughter, Sarah, at Woodbridge, Suffolk, from the year 1806. It has his occupation listed as, "East Yorkshire Militia". In the 1810 baptism of his son, Aaron, his child is listed as his 5th son. His occupation is listed as "weaver".

My 2nd great-grandfather, Charles William Wilkinson (c. 1813-1880), according to family tradition and verified by UK censuses, was born in Edinburgh while his father was serving again in the army/militia. I would be grateful to anyone who can visit the Centre and see if this volume has any particulars concerning Moses. Thank you!

Request has been completed through Hull History Centre. The Ledger of East Yorkshire Militia, 1813-1816, does not contain his name. The ledger was apparently indexed and his name not found.

There is a Moses Wilkinson baptised to an Aaron Wilkinson in 1787 at Sowerby.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ff=&ml_rpos=14

Perhaps Moses's son was named after his grandfather?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
    There is a Moses Wilkinson baptised to an Aaron Wilkinson in 1787 at Sowerby.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ff=&ml_rpos=14

Perhaps Moses's son was named after his grandfather?
    Yes, this is certainly a possibility. I've only just learned today of the first child of Moses and Ann (Bailey) Wilkinson born at Brabourne Lees Barracks in November, 1805. Moses was listed as a member of Capt. Courteney's Company, East Yorkshire Militia and his home parish as Sowerby, Halifax Parish.

I had previously found a Sarah Wilkinson baptized at Woodbridge, Suffolk in December 1806. That record was the first I'd found that confirmed Moses was a member of the East Yorkshire Militia.

A year or more past, I found the baptism of a William Wilkinson at Peterborough, St. John Church, on 28 February 1808 to Moses and Ann Wilkinson. No occupations were listed. Someone with access to British newspapers found that the East Yorkshire Militia marched from Woodbridge Barracks to Norman Cross Barracks in the summer of 1807.

So in a relatively short time, we have found three children born to Moses and Ann (Bailey) Wilkinson whom we never knew existed. Now that I have the name of the company that Moses was a member, I will amend my Beverley, East Yorkshire Record Office lookup with more specific information. Perhaps I'll know his correct age soon! Thank you for searching but there are about 5 possible baptisms of a Moses Wilkinson in Sowerby and until we can establish an approximate age, we're all just guessing.

For information on your family in Sowerby you could contact the Calderdale Family History Society:

https://www.cfhsweb.com/

They have been very helpful to me in the past.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

This will probably eliminate one Moses:

Moses aged 18 weaver of Sowerby Yorks enlisted at Halifax 2nd Sept 1808 ----84th Foot 1St Battallion, Discharged 26 Sep 1816
    Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Moses baptism:
    23 Aug 1789 Sowerby son of Moses Wilkinson, weaver.

Father Moses Wilkinson also from Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900 - Transcribed as just Wilkinson but Moses on image.
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...869.1557142330

Both his age and place during "your" Moses's movements eliminates him.

I agree with Elizabeth that Moses Wilkinson baptised to an Aaron Wilkinson in 1787 at Sowerby looks to be a better fit especially his age. There is an Aaron baptised at Sowerby 21 Aug 1785 to Aaron Wilkinson so just before Moses.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-06-19 at 10:42.
    Kat

Some of my favourite genealogy treasures are what my ancestors tried to hide!

It's interesting that you should mention the Ancestry database, "Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900". I've made a thorough review of all the Moses Wilkinsons who appear in this database and discovered that these lists apply to many British Army regiments that never were deployed to Canada. On has only to look up the given regiment (and battalion, if applicable) on Wikipedia and you will discover deployments throughout the British Empire. I've written Ancestry about this and nothing has been done to correct it.

These "British Regimental Registers of Service" should be under England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. If anyone doubts my word, all they need do is go to the Kew Military Archives website and look up the regiment and battalion.

Having never had reason to use that database before I was unaware of that. Just shows how on the ball you need to be with regard to sources
    You only need to google to see where the regiment went. ......not Canada!!
    However it doesn't detract from the fact that this eliminates this particular Moses son of Moses from the search.
    There are a lot of trees on Ancestry for Moses and son Charles that are really good works of fiction. For example that Moses married 1808 and again in 1814, that he died 1839 but was naturalised in Utah 1866. Most have Ancestry Trees as sources.

I see the bap of Aaron 1810 has mmn as Bailey.
    Do you have a marriage for Moses to Ann Bailey?
    I wonder if any children born between Sarah and Aaron were born abroad - unusual to have this gap unless she didn't follow him abroad?

Mary 1805 Smeeth, Kent
    Sarah 1806 Woodbridge
    Aaron 23 Sep 1810 Sunderland
    Sally 26 Feb 1815 Sowerby - father weaver
    Betty 03 Nov 1816 Sowerby – ditto
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-07-19 at 11:08.
    Kat

Some of my favourite genealogy treasures are what my ancestors tried to hide!

I believe I have found the marriage of Moses Wilkinson to Ann Bailey. It is dated 11 March 1805 and took place at Wye, Kent. The names were transcribed as Moses Willson and Ann Bayley but it appears too much a coincidence that their first child would be born at Brabourne Lees Barracks and baptized at Smeeth, Kent. The parish of Wye is on familysearch.org under, "England, Kent, Cambridge Parish Registers, 1538-1986". Unfortunately, I am unable to access this record at home and the local LDS Family History Center is on the opposite side of town more than 30 minutes away. Neither my wife or I drive any longer (she due to neuropathy related to her diabetes and I due to the strong meds I take) and a Lyft or Uber ride to and from is out of the question.

For whatever reason, I am not yet enabled to view attachments (much less download them) and I would love to see & download Mary's baptism. I will write the webmaster directly and request permission.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caryndanielle View Post
    I believe I have found the marriage of Moses Wilkinson to Ann Bailey. It is dated 11 March 1805 and took place at Wye, Kent. The names were transcribed as Moses Willson and Ann Bayley but it appears too much a coincidence that their first child would be born at Brabourne Lees Barracks and baptized at Smeeth, Kent. The parish of Wye is on familysearch.org under, "England, Kent, Cambridge Parish Registers, 1538-1986". Unfortunately, I am unable to access this record at home and the local LDS Family History Center is on the opposite side of town more than 30 minutes away. Neither my wife or I drive any longer (she due to neuropathy related to her diabetes and I due to the strong meds I take) and a Lyft or Uber ride to and from is out of the question.

For whatever reason, I am not yet enabled to view attachments (much less download them) and I would love to see & download Mary's baptism. I will write the webmaster directly and request permission.
    I am afraid that this because you are a very new member. New members can't download attachments which have been uploaded to the site. Once you have been with us for a few days then this is possible. In the meantime, it should possible to view them if they are linked from an external site or for it be sent another way.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates