Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
    Lesley.
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 04-09-09, 08:49.

Oh Hello dear ;;;well I dont know if my G Grandad was born there or not , it changes spelling from on census from Alverston to Alverton, Alvethorpe ;;
    he is William Taylor b ab 1861 father William Taylor ;;;would be so grateful if you could find him ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Would you believe, my tree is full of Taylors! Will check out the Parish Records for you when I am in town this week. Will keep you posted.
      Lesley

Comment

Boro babs....do you know his Williams mothers name at all? Lesley

Comment

Just about all my Redmans & Sangers are from Alverstoke!

Comment

That's a kind offer, Lesley, but I think I shall have to visit, myself!

There are bits of my tree, and of OH's, who stray in that direction - but I should want to get copies of the PR entries, not just transcriptions.

Having said that, if you see and PAFOOTs (or variants - but don't bother with actual PAFFORDs, because they're the more modern variant and I haven't moved forward far enough to know which ones I'd want.), some transcriptions might be useful - either as new data or to confirm/fill out existing info.

thanks
            Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lesley oh thanks and fingers X ,,,no we dont know his mothers name only the person he married ;;;Mary Ann Pickering ;;

Comment

Christine copies of Parish Records are not a problem. They are only 30p a go! Some are not as clear as one would want but most are readable. Will have a look for you for some Pafoots! I know in my searches I have seen Paffords though!!
                Lesley

Comment

Babs, wasn't he born in Yorkshire rather than Hampshire? Or am I thinking of somebody else?
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes thought so Kite but now carnt find him looking anywhere that looks like Alver???? at end ;;

Comment

Boro Babs, Re your William Taylor b1861c........Have you looked at the 1871 Census. There is a William Taylor b.Dec 1862 in Alverstoke. Father William Taylor, a policeman and mother Elizabeth. Could this be any relation to you? If it is I can get you a copy of the Parish Record for his baptism from our local Study Centre.

Lesley

Comment

Christine in Herts. Had a quick look today in Study Centre. Have found a Frances Pafoot married to John Jeffrey on 28/4/1808. Witness Ann Warren and James ?? (unreadable!))

S*ds law..... today had someone waiting to use the one and only decent microfiche after me so had to cut visit short. Usually I can use it as long as I want. If this is a connection and you need the print out, I can get one for you. Hoping to visit and search some more on Thurs/Sat. Hopefully with no one breathing down my neck!! Will keep you posted
                        Lesley

Comment

Lesley have no idea babe , but dont think so as on there wedding cert it says William Taylor father labourer (deceased) dont think policeman would have ever been labourer ;; they married in 1884

Comment

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                            Christine in Herts. Had a quick look today in Study Centre. Have found a Frances Pafoot married to John Jeffrey on 28/4/1808. Witness Ann Warren and James ?? (unreadable!))

S*ds law..... today had someone waiting to use the one and only decent microfiche after me so had to cut visit short. Usually I can use it as long as I want. If this is a connection and you need the print out, I can get one for you. Hoping to visit and search some more on Thurs/Sat. Hopefully with no one breathing down my neck!! Will keep you posted
                            Lesley
                            Just had to vacate the big computer where it's easiest to find out where I'm up to. OH needs to get some work done before tomorrow. (Subsequently got there via the in-house network!)

Having said that, there are so few PAFOOTs around that there's almost certain to be a connection somewhere along the line, as I get to know them better. I have that Frances (provisionally) as being the Fanny who was 1st cousin to my Gx3-g-mother, Elizabeth FOSTER, née PAFOOT. I haven't got quite enough info to work out the connections yet. Sometimes they spell the name with only one O, or with two Fs or two Ts - or any permutation of those! Charles, John or Elizabeth as first names are particularly promising for my tree, along with William and Ann.

I think I probably could justify getting my own set of fiches for St Mary's Portsea and St Mary's Portchester - and, probably St Thomas's, too! With CHRISTMAS and RUSSELL, especially - and some from OH's tree, as well!

In OH's tree there is this marriage:
                            2 Feb 1843, Alverstoke, John CONNARY (b c 1800) and Ann WHITEHEAD née SA(I)NSBUR(R)Y [M073578]
                            I don't have a copy of that one yet - Mr Connary wasn't his ancestor - but it would be good to fill in the spaces.

And this one (for which I already have a cert, so don't really need the PR...):
                            m 21 Oct 1853 Par Ch Alverstoke, Hants 2b/718 [M073579] Caroline Elizabeth WHITEHEAD and James COCK(S)
                            Spinster, Gosport, of full age
                            witnesses: R x Lacy & Margaret Millett (her mark)

Anything like that would be good. PM me with what I owe, if you're able to get me any copies.

thanks very much
                            Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, Forgot to say I did find some Paffetts as well, would they be any any possible connection to you? Lesley

Comment

I think there are a few occasions when the name gets rendered that way, thanks.

Even if they aren't mine, they'll help to identify which is which.

Christine

Comment

Pafford/ Paffard family in Gosport

Hi Lesley
                                  My gt* grandparents Peter PAFFORD and Jane Golding and their eleven children lived in Gosport from around 1775. Peter was christened, married and buried in Titchfield. l am stuck at Peter so am trying to connect him with other Pafford's living in the SE Hampshire area in the 1700s.
                                  l am related via Peter's son Joseph who married Alley BERRY, daughter of Samuel and Ally Berry of Gosport.
                                  l would be very intested in anything you happen to come across about PAFFORD's (or PAFFARD)
                                  At this stage l don't know what, if any, is the connection to Christine's PAFFOOT's.
                                  Also in 1790's Samuel Berry was a victualler of "The Row Barge", Beach, Gosport do you know where that was or how l could find out anything about it?
                                  Thanks Rach

Comment

Lesley

I have the following family in Alverstoke

William Harris and Jane Bertha (transcribed as Bathia on IGI) Collins married 4 Feb 1787.

I know Jane died in Alverstoke 1856, William pre 1841, after 1804, possibly in Gosport or Alverstoke

If you are able to find any info on them, especially their burials, would be much appreciated.

Comment

Richard and Rachel, Will see if I can find anything out for you both when I visit the local study centre next week. Will keep you posted on anything I find.
                                      Lesley

Comment

Thanks Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                        X