Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Hi Ray, I will see what I can find for you but it won't be for a few weeks as OH has just had knee replacement surgery and I am at his 'beck and call' so to speak at the moment!!

Interesting read re the mystery birth! Will do what I can as soon as I can!

Lesley

Ray, have replied via your private e mail address.

Lesley

Lesley,

Thanks for the help, have replied to your email.

Ray

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwhites1946 View Post
    Thanks Lesley
    Hope it is Eli the son of William and his occupation a soldier in 15th foot regiment age 21ish.If it is him he went out to Poona, India and had a son there Alfred Eli born may1875.His wife Harriet looks to have died at Poona Oct 1875.On the 1881 census there is a Bertie Lynn age 5 born INDIA living at Emsworth with head of Household Ann LOUCH who was his grandmother.This is possibly Harriet.s mother here father Henry who was dead by 1881 he was Tailor.

For years I have been trying to work out who Birtie Lynn was - I figured it was Harry's (guess that is the Harvey you refer to) son as the other grandson on the census entry was Harry's son but I'm not sure who his mother was though I suspect it may have been Sarah Maria Griffin who he married in 1884

Another mystery solved then,Peter! Glad to have been of help....all be it of not knowingly,

Punchs Mum.

Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport Hampshire

I have relatives buried here grandparents Elizabeth and Frederick Underwood and aunt Lillian Underwood. My grandparents both died in 1946, I have no idea where in the cemetery they are. I live in Dover Kent so cannot visit.

The Independant Chapel in Gosport Alverstoke Hampshire

My parents were married in 1928 in this church. I have not been able to find even a reference to it, it may be that it changed its name, any help either by name or a photograph would be appreciated

Two possible references found by googling.........

http://123-mcc.com/photo_gosport_grammar.htm

and from an earlier post on this site...

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...rt-hants/page3

Blog Entries
    These are what we have in our Places of Worship Gallery for Gosport and Alverstoke:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...and_Parishes_G

and

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...and_Parishes_A

It looks as though Grampa Jim will have photographed most, if not all, of the local POWs. Sadly, he is no longer with us, but maybe Punchs mum will be able to help you out to let you know if it exists still or is in fact one of those already photographed. I have merged both your requests onto her thread and I am sure she will be able to advise you about the cemetery.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by underwoodsdaughter View Post
    I have relatives buried here grandparents Elizabeth and Frederick Underwood and aunt Lillian Underwood. My grandparents both died in 1946, I have no idea where in the cemetery they are. I live in Dover Kent so cannot visit.
    I will see if I can find the Burial Record of your grandparents at the Local Study Centre. They keep burial records of Anns Hill cemetery. Failing that, you could contact the local Gosport council that also keep records but for us locals there is a charge as they seem to know it is for Research! It has been knowm for them to supply, free of charge, a burial record and plot plan for people living outside this area. Depends how persuasive you are!!!

Was your Grandfather a Frederick George Underwood, an engine driver who retired in 1935? Have been browsing newspapers on FMP and there is an article re his retirement.

Also, do you know when your Aunt Lillian was buried?

Will let you know if or what I find as soon as I can get to town. Maybe a couple of weeks now.

Lesley
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 01-02-16 at 17:01.