Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitcombs!

Ray,

Am more confused than ever now. Have just looked at the Family Search site and there is a Charles Whitcomb married to Martha Long in Alverstoke 0n30/8/1797

Children listed to them are
    Martha Whitcomb 31/5/1800
    George Whitcomb 6/6/ 1806
    Henrietta Whitcomb 3/8/1804
    Charles Benjamin Whitcomb 7/6/1835!!
    Richard Whitcomb 12/9/1802

I just doesn't add up!! Your Whitcombs are everywhere at all times in Alverstoke.

Will scan the baptism image off to you this evening.

Lesley
    Last edited by Punchs mum; 20-12-09, 18:08. Reason: correction to date of marriage

Comment

• Lesley

Wow, same here!
      Studying my notes, and a bit of calculation, I came up with the this scenario:

Charles Whitcomb born about 1778 according to Alverstoke burial records.(Knightroots)
      Martha (Long?) born about 1781 according to Alverstoke burial records. (Knightroots)

Same Charles Whitcomb marries Martha Long about 1797 in Alverstoke. (Family Search)
      Charles would have been 19 years and Martha 16 years - possible.

Children follow:
      Martha 3/5/1800 - possible
      George 6/6/1806 - possible
      Henrietta 3/8/1804 - possible
      Richard 12/9/1802 - possible

Charles Benjamin 7/6/1835 !!!!!????? not very possible Martha would have been 54!
      and Charles Benjamin got married in 1848 (GRO index) - at 13! I think not! (That would have set 'Tongues Wagging in Gosport!!!!!!
      According to census returns for Charles Benjamin for 1851 and 1881 he was born about 1816.
      So perhaps Charles B was a 'late' addition to the family? I suspect the 1835 is a typo, should be 1815?

I did find a Martha Whitcomb in an Alverstoke 1851 census, she was 46 years/unmarried - born 1805 - so could be Martha 3/5/1800 as above?

I also found in an 1841 census a Martha Whitcomb born 178, this time in Portsea.
      This could be Charles's wife? but I couldn't find Charles anywhere. Note he died in 1845. (GRO index)

All this leaves 'my' George Whitcomb, born about 1780, out in the cold? However he is of the same generation as Charles (the elder), born about 1778, so they possibly could be brothers???

All this started up because I wanted to know what became of my Grandfather! Found he died in Canada in 1955, now I'm 'bogged' down in 1800's Alverstoke!!

Looking forward to the latest baptism scan. I can't remember if I ever asked you to look for a baptism record for Walter Whitcomb - my actual great grandfather?
      He was born to Thomas and Mary Whitcomb in Alverstoke, March 1860 (GRO index).
      It would be nice to add to my family records, no rush though.

Ray

Comment

• Ray, I have the baptism record of Walter Whitcomb. Are you sure I haven't already scanned it to you? If not, let me know and I will see if I can scan it the right way up this time, not like I scanned the last one to you!! LOL

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

I've looked at your emails, and yes you did tell me that you'd got Walter's baptism + his sister Alice's.

You did send me the Marriage of Thomas Whitcomb & Mary Bridget Malone, and also the baptism of Mary Bridget Malone - but I cannot find Walters baptism record (or Alice's).

So, yes, please could you email these.

I have done the Free BMD search for Whitcomb(e) at Alverstoke + a few other places. A lot of them I can trace, but as one gets close to the 1837 lower limit things get a bit difficult - no census etc! Parish records to the rescue!

Ray

Comment

• Hi Lesley,

Is it possible to do a lookup of a christening at Saint Marys Portsea for a John Myers Montgomery? Not 100% sure of the date only know the year was 1806.

Thanks in advance...

Deb

Comment

• Deb. Sorry but I don't do Portsea Look ups, only Gosport/Alverstoke.

I think though, that there is somebody else on the site that does do Portsea. Can't remember who it is though. Maybe someone else can tell you

Lesley

Comment

• Okay thanks Lesley.

Deb

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                  I see your kind offer, please when you have time & the weather is good could you look for the Marriage of
                  George Frederick Holmes & May Adams Hancock at Alverstoke 1911.
                  Thank you.
                  Ann

Comment

• Hello Ann E. Welcome to FTF!!

Obviously at the moment, snow and ice stops play but will certainly have a look for the marriage of George and May when I can get out of the house again!! Been in for the third day now and am climbing the walls!!

Will be in touch again when the weather improves. Keep checking back on the site as I will look for you as soon as I am able.

Keep warm

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley,

Back again about the Whitcomb families in Alverstoke / Gosport!

When, hopefully, the weather improves and one can venture out safely (been the same here - getting fed up with digging snow and ice!), please could you look into the following Baptisms:

Having traced my line back to George Whitcomb (1774 to 1856), Carpenter of Clayhall married to Mary ??? a Schoolmistress, I wonder if a Baptism is registered for him? This, hopefully, would provide his Parents names. Also who was Mary? She was from Portsea according to the census, but they married in Gosport.

The other Whitcomb line , that with Charles B Whitcomb in it, may have little or no connection with my Family? However as a final look could you see if there is a Baptism for Charles Benjamin's Father, Charles Whitcomb (1795 ??? to 1845), married to Martha ???. As above his Parents names may provide a further clue?

I suspect going back further than this (1770's) may be very problematic as many records seem to have degraded to the point of illegibility? So I think this would provide a 'suitable' cut off point?

Ray

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                        Thank you for your reply, take care.
                        I am also Imprisoned by the snow, it sounds like we might get some more!

Ann E

Comment

• Hello again Ray, Have only just seen your thread from yesterday!! Sorry!

Have made a note of your requirements and as soon as I am 'set free' from this atrocious weather, I will certainly take a look for you and let you know what or if I find anything for you. Will be in touch as soon as I can get to town again.

Lesley

Comment

• me again Ray. Just had a quick look through my notes (scraps of paper) and I don't know if I have told you of a death of a Martha Whitcom, Spinster age 68 of Church Parth Gosport. Buried 28/12/1868. Plot 57 consencrated. Anns Hill Cemetery.

This is obviously the Martha that was born in 1800.

Comment

• Alverstoke look up for Ann E

Hi Ann, At last I have managed to get to the Study Centre and have found the marriage you were asking about. I have photo copied it for you and if you want me to scan it to you, will need your private e mail address. This is what I found

Marriage at St.Thomas' Church Elson (Gosport) on 27th July, 1911

George Frederick Holmes Age27 Bachelor A B Royal HMS Revenge(??) Father John Henry Holmes Engine Driver

May Adams Hancock Age 23 Spinster of 6 Bucklers Road Father Charles Johida(?) Hancock Army Pensioner

Witness Frank Henry Lacey, Charles Joh(?) Hancock and Dorothy Blanche Hancock.

Maybe you can fill in the (?)! Difficult to read.

If I can help any more, just ask. I am here to help wherever I can.

Lesley

Comment

• Alverstoke look up for Ray Whitcomb

Ray, Alverstoke was running alive with Whitcombs in the late 1700's!! However, the only George Whitcomb I could find was baptised in Holy Trinity, Gosport on 19/5/1795. Son of George and Mary!

At the same church was a Charles Whitcomb son of Thomas and Sarah baptised 7/3/1793. Don't know if this is of any help to you or just confusing things even more.

I have made a note of the other Whitcombs I came across whilst searching the fiche and have another eleven baptisms between 1793 and 1799 all at Holy Trinity. If you want the names and dates let me know. I know you like a challenge!!

Had no luck with the baptism of Charles Benjamin Whicomb around 1816. Checked out Holy Trinity baptisms till 1820 and then gave up as I was going crossed eyed!!

Hope this is of some help to you

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

Yes please give the list of the names you have found, it will be a challenge!!!

The George you found could be the George who married Mary (yes another Mary!) the schoolmistress, and thus in my line?

I notice that the baptisms were at Holy Trinity, I wonder if more could be found at St Marys? (But please don't go too 'Cross Eyed!)

Ray

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
                                    Thank you so much that is wonderful I would love a scan of the marriage, it would lovely to see the signatures.
                                    My e mail is < delann[at]southbourneway.freeserve.co.uk>, please replace at for @

Dorothy Blanche Hancock was her sister & her brother Charles Henry Hancock, [I don’t know of a Jon?] her father Charles Jehoiada Hancock, the HMS Revenge Was a battleship.
                                    Thank you again, please let me know I can pay you for the photo copy.
                                    Ann E

Comment

• Ann.. Scan of cert. should be on its way to you now.

Lesley.

Comment

• Ray, Will send the names to your private e mail address as the list is quiete long. Will try and do it some time today......if I'm not too cross-eyed!! Have also been in touch with someone on Ancestry re the baptism of Charles in 1815. Hopefully, she will send me a copy of the Baptism Record sometime shortly. Will let you know if she does.

Regards Lesley

Comment

• Charles Benjamin Whitcomb!

Ray,

Have just heard back from the contact I had on Ancestry and she has scanned me the baptism record of Charles Benjamin Whitcomb
                                          s/o Charles and Martha. baptised 7/6/1835 but born 28/6/1815!!!! Definately says 1815 which makes him 20 years old when he was baptised. Father was a Customs House Officer. Baptism Alverstoke. No wonder I couldn't find him.

More food now for thought. Lesley.

Comment

Working...
                                          X