Page 7 of 105 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Hi Lesley, I'm back with another look up for you when you have a chance. Thanks to Merry's help I've found that my Emma isn't in Calbourne at all - she's in Alverstoke.

Can you check for her burial record ?
    Emma Scott D 1925 in Alverstoke.

Thanks!

Hi Theresa, Will have a look for you as soon as I can get to town! Keep checking the boards for a reply.

Lesley

Blog Entries
    I would be interested in any information about the Trotman family that lived in Alverstoke in the 1850-1870 especially Anthony Trotman and his son William.

Trotmans

Hello Keith, I have already done lookups for the Trotmans for Uncle John. He has this name in his line. If you look at my posting dated 21/4 on this thread you will see what I have found re the Trotmans including a William and Anthony. If you need any print outs of this info, let me know and will get some next time I am in the Study Centre.

Lesley.

Blog Entries
    Many Thanks Lesley, I think I know who Uncle John is, however if its any help to you I have just finished a book on my family called "The Trotmans of Woodford" which is in fact the same family that lived in Portsmouth in the mid 1800s. I also know,I think who Mary Rogers was. Call me any time I live in Pagham. Regards Keith Trotman.

Theresa In OZ!

Hi again Theresa.

This is what I have found for you re Emma Scott

Entry No.25966 Emma Scott Widow age 82 years of 44 Brougham Str.
    Buried Jan 13th (1925) plot 68 Consecrated.

This is of course in Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport.

Hope this helps. What would we all do without Merry eh!!!

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

As always you've been a great help - and you're right, what would we do without Merry!

I'm looking forward to visiting Ann's Hill when I'm over. I will try to bring the sunshine, but we're not having too much of it here either!

Theresa

Blog Entries
    Hi Lesley, Its me again. The story of Anthoney Trotman B1827 the Keeper from Woodford in Gloucestershire is very interesting, but up until William his son's marriage to Eliza has to remain a theory. However, Anthony we think at the age of 14 or 15 took a job as a servant at 'Halmore' the house of Elizabeth Browning not far from his house, and we think that he had an affair with one of the servant girls, a child was born who could be William, consequently illegitimate. We also think that William was brought up by his aunt Mary Trotman see 1841 census on the end of family list age 3. You will notice that Mary had a daughter also named Mary, so this was Williams step sister. Young Mary was eventually married and her married name was Rogers, and this is who we believe was at William and Eliza's wedding. Anthony we think disapeared or met with an untimely death. Keith Trotman.
    Last edited by Keith Trotman14; 31-05-08 at 10:33. Reason: Grammar correction

Trotmans

Wow, Keith, that is so interesting!! I don't know why they call this hobby (or rather addiction) Genealogy!! It is more like being a super sleuth detective!! How satisfying when one can put some 'meat on the bones' as they say. It seems that all families have skeletons in their cupboard at some point in time. Unfortunately, I am still trying to solve the mystery of mine. I will get some answers eventually, I hope.

I wonder what happened then to poor Anthony. No doubt in time you will find out. Thanks for the story of your Trotmans. Am off to look at the 1841 census now!
    Lesley

Hi, My 1st post on this site!

I wonder if it would be possible to do an Alverstoke lookup for me please.

In 1868 George Foster b 1840 Audlem, Cheshire, Colour Sergeant, RMLI, Forton Barracks, married Mary Ann Rowland b 1849, Cape of Good Hope SA. I have this wedding certificate which shows the wedding took place at St. Thomas Elson.

Whilst George was still in the RMLI (up until 1881) he had a few children. I have been unable to find any record of baptisms - I wonder if it would be possible to find them? I don't think they were "done", if at all, at St. Thomas as I have checked online. The children's names were:

George William R Foster ........................ b c1870
    Walter H Foster .................................. b c1872
    N.M Foster ......................................... b c1873
    Grace E Foster .................................... b c1879
    William ............................................... b c1880

There seems to be a bit of a gap between 1873 and 1879 - perhaps he was at sea!
    There may of course have been some deaths.

Many thanks,

Sue

I should mention, in case it is helpful to anyone, I have a copy of the handwritten Forton Barracks Census for 1881.
    Last edited by Sue1; 22-07-08 at 12:16. Reason: addition