Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Val and George

Hello again! If you look back at post No38 on this thread you will see that I did have a look for your elusive Semaines in Gosport a while ago and like Grampa Jim, I had no success either. I will bear the name in mind though whilst I am searching through the fiches. I am down the Study Centre quiete regularly.
    Sorry you are having no luck with your search. Isn't there a Gosforth somewhere in England? Geography is not my strong point!

Lesley

PS Just Googled 'Gosforth'. Looks like it is around Cumbria. Maybe that is worth a try.

Comment

Brilliant idea Lesley, I'll try that, and my apologies for having contacted you again. I am gradually getting the hang of this site and the people on it.
      Back to the drawing board - and Gosforth. Thankyou, Val

Comment

Christine in Herts.

I had a quick look this afternoon at your John and Martha marriage at Holy Trinity Gosport in 1722. The only thing I noticed was that John's surname is spelt Monie. Nothing else jumped out at me. Not to sure just what you are wanting me to find look for. Didn't see any other Money/Monie at all.

Sue1.
        Are you still looking for Foster Baptisms in Forton, Gosport father RM? Have some info for you if you are. PM me.

Lesley

Comment

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
          Christine in Herts.

I had a quick look this afternoon at your John and Martha marriage at Holy Trinity Gosport in 1722. The only thing I noticed was that John's surname is spelt Monie. Nothing else jumped out at me. Not to sure just what you are wanting me to find look for. Didn't see any other Money/Monie at all.

Sue1.
          Are you still looking for Foster Baptisms in Forton, Gosport father RM? Have some info for you if you are. PM me.

Lesley
          Thank you for having a look, Lesley.

I don't know whether the marriage is mine or not, really - but at least I now know that it's findable if I decide I'd like a copy.

I really need to get some work done in the Bishops Waltham area - I have FOSTERs, too. According to his marriage records, I have Thomas FOSTER, b 1767-8 Beauworth, who married in Bishops Waltham. There are some plausible baptisms on the IGI - but the online Baptism records for Beauworth only start in 1841, and the name is hardly uncommon, so I'm not sure whether the ones I've found are just coincidentally possible. I had Edward FOSTER and Sarah MONEY as possible parents and then that marriage I asked about was for possible parents for Sarah. All very tenuous.

I suppose it was more that there was an opportunity to get the info in case I do eventually need it!

So, many thanks

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Montgomery Family Lookup please

Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Hants. Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
            Lesley.

Hi Lesley,

As this is my first post on this site I hope I have put it in the right place.

I was wondering if you could possibly do a look up of a Montgomery family from Alverstoke. The only information I have is from the IGI:

John Montgomery married Sally Jackman in 1820 Alverstoke.

Would love to find out where they got married, witness names, John and Sally's parents. Also, if it was possible to find out if the couple had any children, baptisms?? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated .

Deb

Comment

Hi Deb.

First can I say 'Welcome to the site'

I will see what I can find for you at our local Study Centre but it probably won't be until next week.
              Unfortunately, a marriage in 1820 will not show the parents of the bride and groom! It should show witnesses......if the transcript is legible that is!

Lesley

Comment

Lesley - would you like me to move this thread over to our new Research Offers forum where it may be easier for members to find.
                Research Offers - Family Tree Forum
                - I would imagine on the Research Qs and As forum it keeps slipping off the first few pages.

I can leave a redirect on the Research Qs and As forum so that if anyone was used to finding it there they will be directed to the new forum.
                Elaine

Comment

Elaine, That is fine by me! Go ahead!

Lesley

Comment

Moved!

I´ve added a Record Office prefix to the title as that seems most appropriate.
                    Elaine

Comment

Yes, please, Lesley - baptisms for

William John Harrison born in 8 Marine View, Forton, Gosport 4 May 1859. (parents William and Priscilla Harrison)

Francis William Harrison born in Fareham 6 January 1878

John Harrison born in School Road, Fareham 18 August 1879

Priscilla Elizabeth Harrison born in Portsmouth 31 January 1882

Elizabeth Susan Harrison born in 13 Fort Cumberland Terrace, Eastney, Portsmouth 16 January 1885

Arthur George Harrison born in 13 Fort Cumberland Terrace, Eastney, Portsmouth 4 November 1887

(parents Joseph and Susan Harrison)
                      Joy

Comment

Morning Joy.

I can check the baptism for persons born is Alverstoke/Gosport, that is your William John Harris b1859 Gosport but the others are not covered by our local Study Centre. I think for Fareham you will need Winchester Records office and Portsmouth births are available at Portsmouth or, I think but not sure, Winchester Records office. Sorry about that. Will definately check for William though, some time next week.

I assume that the others were born and therefore, baptised in the area they were born!

Lesley

Comment

Thank you very much, Lesley.

A strange thing about little William, both he and his Mum were buried in unconsecrated ground, yet his Dad was buried in consecrated ground - a mystery that will never be solved, that one :-)
                          Joy

Comment

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the welcome and responding so quick to my post. Sorry, I wasn't sure if there would be a father's name of bride on transcript or not. Just hoping to find something on them, fingers crossed

Deb

Comment

Joy. I always though that burials in unconsecrated grounds were for persons that were not bapstised. I am sure someone will put me right if I am wrong!!

Lesley

Comment

message for Deb oz!

Hi Deb.

I did manage a quick visit yesterday to Study Centre. Found the marriage record dated 29th June 1820 for John Montgomery and Sally Jackman. Like I said, no parents but witnesses were John Coleman and Mary ? (couldn't decipher it) I did do a copy of the Parish Record which I could scan to you if you would like to send me your e mail address through a private message.

Also found a baptism for Sally Montgomery d/o John and Sally Montgomery Father Carpenter. B. 2/4/1823 baptised 25/5/1823.

Both these events were at St. Marys Church Alverstoke. Gosport. Will try again later to see if I can find anything else.

Have to go out now so will be off line till this evening.

Lesley.
                                Last edited by Punchs mum; 04-09-09, 15:54.

Comment

Joy. I always though that burials in unconsecrated grounds were for persons that were not bapstised. I am sure someone will put me right if I am wrong!!

Lesley
                                  Yes, that is what I had read, too; however, his Mum had definitely been baptised.
                                  Last edited by Joy Dean; 04-09-09, 16:25.
                                  Joy

Comment

Thanks Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Thanks so much for doing a look up for me, greatly appreciated!! So glad you found something Have sent my email address in a Personal Message.

Deb

Comment

Copies of Baptisms

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the copy of the Marriage Certificate, it's great! Would it be possible to get copies of the Baptisms you found for John and Sarah Montgomery? I had a look at the IGI after you found Sarah's baptism and there is another child listed, James Montgomery bap. 1828 with same parents.

Would it also be possible to see if you can find James' Baptism as well the next time you're down the Study Centre? I must have missed James before as his last name is spelt "Montgomary" on the IGI.

If memory serves me correct one of my relations (they're gone now so I can't verify this :() mentioned that James Montgomery was a Mariner so maybe he followed in his father's footsteps.

Thanks again for all your help with this.

Deb
                                      Last edited by DebOz; 06-09-09, 09:45.

Comment

Deb. Will see what I can find re the Montgomerys when I am next in town.

Joy Haven't forgotten your look up for William Harrison!

Lesley

Comment

• Look up for Joy Dean

Joy, I am sorry but I couldn not find the baptism record for little William Harrison. The fiche at St. Johns church Forton, which is the nearest church to where they were living is practically illegible for the years 1859/60. There were a few which were readable by not for the one you wanted. I did check 3 other churches in the area but still no luck. Found the burial record for William and his mother Priscilla but you already have the details, I beleive, on that. I assume his poor Mum died shortly after childbirth. Very sad.

Sorry I couldn't help but will keep my eye open for William when I am there. You never know, I may find something when I am not looking for it. That is what usually happens.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X