No announcement yet.

Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lesley, I'm back with another look up for you when you have a chance. Thanks to Merry's help I've found that my Emma isn't in Calbourne at all - she's in Alverstoke.

Can you check for her burial record ?
    Emma Scott D 1925 in Alverstoke.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Theresa, Will have a look for you as soon as I can get to town! Keep checking the boards for a reply.

Lesley

Comment

I would be interested in any information about the Trotman family that lived in Alverstoke in the 1850-1870 especially Anthony Trotman and his son William.

Comment

Trotmans

Hello Keith, I have already done lookups for the Trotmans for Uncle John. He has this name in his line. If you look at my posting dated 21/4 on this thread you will see what I have found re the Trotmans including a William and Anthony. If you need any print outs of this info, let me know and will get some next time I am in the Study Centre.

Lesley.

Comment

Many Thanks Lesley, I think I know who Uncle John is, however if its any help to you I have just finished a book on my family called "The Trotmans of Woodford" which is in fact the same family that lived in Portsmouth in the mid 1800s. I also know,I think who Mary Rogers was. Call me any time I live in Pagham. Regards Keith Trotman.

Comment

Theresa In OZ!

Hi again Theresa.

This is what I have found for you re Emma Scott

Entry No.25966 Emma Scott Widow age 82 years of 44 Brougham Str.
              Buried Jan 13th (1925) plot 68 Consecrated.

This is of course in Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport.

Hope this helps. What would we all do without Merry eh!!!

Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley,

As always you've been a great help - and you're right, what would we do without Merry!

I'm looking forward to visiting Ann's Hill when I'm over. I will try to bring the sunshine, but we're not having too much of it here either!

Theresa

Comment

Hi Lesley, Its me again. The story of Anthoney Trotman B1827 the Keeper from Woodford in Gloucestershire is very interesting, but up until William his son's marriage to Eliza has to remain a theory. However, Anthony we think at the age of 14 or 15 took a job as a servant at 'Halmore' the house of Elizabeth Browning not far from his house, and we think that he had an affair with one of the servant girls, a child was born who could be William, consequently illegitimate. We also think that William was brought up by his aunt Mary Trotman see 1841 census on the end of family list age 3. You will notice that Mary had a daughter also named Mary, so this was Williams step sister. Young Mary was eventually married and her married name was Rogers, and this is who we believe was at William and Eliza's wedding. Anthony we think disapeared or met with an untimely death. Keith Trotman.
                  Last edited by Keith Trotman14; 31-05-08, 10:33. Reason: Grammar correction

Comment

Trotmans

Wow, Keith, that is so interesting!! I don't know why they call this hobby (or rather addiction) Genealogy!! It is more like being a super sleuth detective!! How satisfying when one can put some 'meat on the bones' as they say. It seems that all families have skeletons in their cupboard at some point in time. Unfortunately, I am still trying to solve the mystery of mine. I will get some answers eventually, I hope.

I wonder what happened then to poor Anthony. No doubt in time you will find out. Thanks for the story of your Trotmans. Am off to look at the 1841 census now!
                    Lesley

Comment

Hi, My 1st post on this site!

I wonder if it would be possible to do an Alverstoke lookup for me please.

In 1868 George Foster b 1840 Audlem, Cheshire, Colour Sergeant, RMLI, Forton Barracks, married Mary Ann Rowland b 1849, Cape of Good Hope SA. I have this wedding certificate which shows the wedding took place at St. Thomas Elson.

Whilst George was still in the RMLI (up until 1881) he had a few children. I have been unable to find any record of baptisms - I wonder if it would be possible to find them? I don't think they were "done", if at all, at St. Thomas as I have checked online. The children's names were:

George William R Foster ........................ b c1870
                      Walter H Foster .................................. b c1872
                      N.M Foster ......................................... b c1873
                      Grace E Foster .................................... b c1879
                      William ............................................... b c1880

There seems to be a bit of a gap between 1873 and 1879 - perhaps he was at sea!
                      There may of course have been some deaths.

Many thanks,

Sue

I should mention, in case it is helpful to anyone, I have a copy of the handwritten Forton Barracks Census for 1881.
                      Last edited by Sue1; 22-07-08, 12:16. Reason: addition

Comment

Hi Lesley!

Could you please look at my Catto/Smith family in Gosport/Alverstoke for me?

Keith Catto was born c. 1780. He married Margaret Forbes on 31 Mar 1761 at St Mary's Portsea.

He died c. 1800 (I have his will).

I would be grateful if you could look for his burial, and that of his wife Margaret, who predeceased him.

Their daughter Jane married William Smith (I know:o, but I'm lucky that they are my only Smiths!) on 5 Feb 1791 at St Mary's Portsea. However, their five children appear to have been baptised at Holy Trinity Gosport.

If it isn't too difficult, burials for Jane and William would be appreciated, but if there are too many Smiths, please don't bother too much!

The children were Jane (my ancestor), Margaret, Elizabeth, Charlotte and Walter. Any marriages for them (if they appear easily!) would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your kind offer.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth,

Will see what I can do. Give me a few days and will get back to you.

Lesley

Comment

Ooops Elizabeth! Something wrong here with your dates! You have Keith Catto b.1780 and Married in 1761! Can I assume you have mixed the dates round?

Lesley

Comment

Hi Lesley,

Sorry for the typo -

Keith Catto was born c. 1740, not 1780! I wonder if he was Scottish, and Margaret too.

Thanks so much for your help.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Look up results for Elizabeth Herts

Hi Elizabeth, Did manage a quick visit today and found the following for you

Keith Catto Buried Holy Trinity Gosport January 1801 (I think possibly the 20th)
                                Margaret Catto buried Holy Trinity Gosport april 1792.

No other info on the Burial records available. If you want copies printed out let me know and next time I am down there will get some for you.

Re Jane and William Smith.....Have you any idea of their dates of death?

Will check out the rest for you when I have more time. Was a flying visit today.

Lesley

Comment

Lesley, thanks so much for your look up.

I'll get back to you with info for the Smiths. (Still feeling poorly - stomach bug and only just picking up. OH has at least stopped throwing up!)
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

No rush Elizabeth. May not be able to get to S. Centre until next week now anyway.

Hope you and OH are soon feeling better!! Keep your bugs in Herts don't send them down to Hants!!!

Lesley

Comment

Hello Lesley

I've just come across a strictly not-needed-but-may-be-interesting event in Gosport:

m 24 Nov 1722, Holy Trinity, Gosport [M073561]
                                      John MONEY & Martha WOOL

I'm trying to get earlier with a tricky bit of the tree. It's a guess (it's actually the less-likely of two plausible baptisms relating to my maybe Sarah MONEY) based on a guess (that Sarah MONEY & Edward FOSTER, m 15 MAY 1763 Saint Marys, Portsea, [M062611] were the parents of Thomas FOSTER b Beauworth 1767-8), so not at all reliable. This one is really the less likely of two possible marriages (on the IGI - but could be more elsewhere, of course!). However, there might be some snippet of info - i.e. a name - which might swing the decision one way or the other.

It's definitely not worth a special journey but a possible filler, if you have a bit of spare time when you're at the local RO for some other purpose. I'm asking only because your kind offer presents an opportunity to get the info in case I find it's the right marriage.

thanks
                                      Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Will have a look for you Christine, when I am next in town. Not guaranteeing a result though as some of the older fiches are so feint they can't been read!!
                                        Will probably be next week sometime now but will let you know one way or t'other!!

Lesley

Comment

That is a very kind offer and I have been directed to you as I have been chosen for WDWTYA this week.
                                          I am looking for a William Semaine/Samain who gives his birth on most of the census as Gosport c.1800. Grampa Jim checked the Independent Chapel in Gosport for me and came up with a William Eman son of John and Ann Eman19/11/1800, I shall keep him in mind as I couldn't find him in the 1841 census and I haven't looked for a death as yet.

All of Williams children were baptised in St Lukes Church in Shoreditch so I imagine we could probably rule out the RC church for searches.

So, should you have the opportunity to look for him I would be most grateful as I really need to know who his parents were to continue the line back further.
                                          Gratefully yours, Val

Comment

Working...
                                          X