Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lesley

William Trotman and Eliza Lee married q4 1860 in Alverstoke district. They then had some children registered in Alverstoke (I've found 4) before upping sticks to Sunderland some time between 1872 and 1877.

Eliza was born in Gosport c. 1844 (according to censuses). William came from Woodford, Gloucestershire.

One of the children (the first one born in Sunderland) was my wife's great-aunt's second husband, which is why I haven't gone beyond the BMD index entries.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John. Now I have some dates I will see if I can find anything on the Parish Records for you. Won't be until the end of the week though. I haven't forgotten you!

Lesley

Comment

Look up in Alverstoke/Gosport for Uncle John

Hi Uncle John. Don't know if any of the following will be of any help to you. I know you have the marriage date of William Trotman and Eliza Lee but I looked up the marriage cert.for further detail.
        William Trotman of full age Batchelor. Private RM abode Forton (that's in Gosport) father Anthony Trotman, a Keeper
        Eliza Lee of full age spinster abode Forton Father William Lee. Mariner.
        Married12th November 1860 Parish Church Alverstoke.
        Witnesses William Lee and Mary Rogers.

Baptism St. Johns church
        William Anthony s/o William and Eliza Trotman bapt.11/8/1866 Born 25/12/1863
        Father Pensioner RM.

Then to confuse things baptisms at St. Matthews Church ( in Gosport)
        John Thomas s/o William TROCKMAN and Eliza 25/6/1869
        Eliza d/o " " " " "
        William Anthony " " " " " Father Labourer.

Do you think this is a mistranscription? If so, why is there another William Anthony? Over to you Uncle John!!

Oh. almost forgot. There was a Charles Thomas s/o Charles and Sarah Trotman born 17/2/1865 bapt. 9/4/1865 Father RM. (Royal Marine) in St. Johns church. Gosport.

Hope some of this info is helpful to you.
        Lesley

Comment

Ooh, thanks very much Lesley. I'm in touch with three Trotman descendants so I've emailed this info. on to them.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Alverstoke Marriage

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
            Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Hants. Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
            Lesley.
            Hi Lesley,
            I am interested in the marriage of Jeffery Parfitt and Ann Pennant in Alverstoke on 1st Feb 1813. Would it please be possible to check the entry to see what supplementary info is given, if any?
            Many thanks, very kind of you to offer look-ups.
            Regards,
            Brian
            Kent

Comment

Hi Brian, Sorry have only just seen your thread!! Have been to Study Centre today as well!!! Will have a look for you when I go next. Maybe not until next week though. Will be in touch again when and if I find anything for you!!

Lesley

Comment

Alverstoke Look up for; Bricollin

Brian......managed a quick visit to Study Centre today and found the following for you as requested.

Jeffery Parfitt married Ann Pennant by Banns with the consent of Richard Warren this first day of February in the year 1813 In the presence of Richard Warren and Ann Habnet.

Have photo copied the entry. If you need it for your records pm me your Address, don't think it will scan all that well as it is a bit feint.

Regards Lesley

Comment

Hello,

I've been having a hard time trying to find out burial details of my GG-Grandparents who died in Alverstoke, and one on the Isle of Wight. I'm not quite sure where else to go - and being in Australia isn't helping the cause !

I'm seeking records for -
                  Samuel Scott - B 1836 (wiltshire) D 1899 (Alverstoke)
                  Emma Scott (nee Line) B 1843 (Wiltshire) D 1918 (Calbourne)

Thanks, Theresa

Comment

Theresa

IoW has it's own FHS-run BMD site,
                    Isle of Wight Family History Society
                    complete with info on how to obtain a cert from the Local Register Office.

Emma's death registration is recorded there. Cert prices should be the same as for GRO.

Don't forget that the Local RO's had the record before the GRO, which "harvested" the info quarterly from the Local offices.

Christine

PS - re-reading your posting suggests that I haven't provided what you're after. But the IoW FHS might be able to help if you contact them? You might have to join for a year or something.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Chrisitine, I'll give that a try!

Comment

Theresa

Will have a look at the Burial Records for Alverstoke for your rellie when I am in the Study Centre next. May not be until the end of the week though. Keep looking in, will let you know if or what I find.

Lesley

Comment

Christine in Herts

Christine, Don't know if this one could be one of yours but came across it the other day whilst in Study Centre. As it was not a common name, made a note of it as I knew someone was researching it, just realised it could be one for you

Clifford Searle Christmas son of George and Elizabeth buried Gosport on 22/7/1903 Age 3. I know it is quiete recent, but may be a connection for you.
                          Lesley

Comment

Info for Theresa in Australia

Hello again. Well, curiousity got the better of me and have been to the Study Centre this afternoon and this is what I have found re your Samuel Scott.

Samuel Scott Labourer age 61 years died 36 Elmhurst Road (in Gosport) on Dec.28th 1899. Buried Anns Hill Cemetery in unconsecrated ground plot No.14. The micro fiche also showed the Entry as No16363 Page 27. I have photo copied the entry.if you want me to scan it to you.
                            Also, when I returned I had a Message from Merry re this man waiting in my inbox, she tells me she is a relly of yours. Have mailed her this info as well. Good luck finding his OH on the Isle of Wight. Sorry, but can't help you with that one!! I think Merry is on the trail though so I am sure she will get you a good result!

Lesley

Comment

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                              Christine, Don't know if this one could be one of yours but came across it the other day whilst in Study Centre. As it was not a common name, made a note of it as I knew someone was researching it, just realised it could be one for you

Clifford Searle Christmas son of George and Elizabeth buried Gosport on 22/7/1903 Age 3. I know it is quiete recent, but may be a connection for you.
                              Lesley
                              I don't immediately recognise it, but will follow up later on, when I have some time. Probably not popular if I get into this now, when I'm supposed to be packing for our next drive onward on our holiday! May not have internet access after this - unless we want to spend an arm and a leg (which we don't!).

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Lesley,

You have been such a great help. I've been at this for months and in the matter of one day you find an answer for me. I'm heading over to the UK (from oz) in about 6 weeks and plan to pay respects on behalf of the Aussie Clan.

Thank you so much. Theresa.

Comment

Hi Theresa, Only to pleased to be able to help when I can. Bring some warm sunshine with you when you come over!
                                  Lesley

Comment

Lesley,

hope you don't mind if I put a link to a site which is brilliant if you've got ancestors in Hampshire, people requesting look ups might not know about it.

Hampshire Family History - Parish Registers
                                    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Hi Lesley I am looking for the parents/siblings of a Robert Pearce born 1823 in Portsea

Thanks

Comment

captain Caveman!

Simon, I am sorry but I can only do lookups in Gosport/Alverstoke. I know Portsea is only just across the harbour though!!

Have you looked on Family Search.org. site? There is a Robert Pearce married to Ann Helsley on 13/2/1820 at St. Marys Portsea. Roberts baptism record on there show his parents as being Robert and Ann. The marriage date would be about right.

Lesley

Comment

Thanks Lesley I did not know about that site, I have found alot already. I am hoping to come to Portsmouth soon to research my great-great-great grandfather Thomas Hobbins (was the longest ever serving member of the Royal Marines)

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                          X