X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pafford Lookup

Thanks Lesley
    Does the centre cover Fareham?
    l have just come acoss a WILLIAM PAFFORD painter, plumber, glazier in the trade directory for Fareham 1792-98.
    My gt** grandfather PETER PAFFORD was also a painter, plumber, glazier at the same time in Gosport. l have never come across William before and would love to find out who he is.
    Thanks again for your generous offer of help
    regards Rachel

Comment

Richard and Rachel look up requests

Richard, Have found a burial record for a William Harris buried in St. Mary's Churchyard Alverstoke, Gosport on 8th December 1833. He was 78 years old. Could this be yours?
      Also Have found the burial record for Jane Bertha Harris. Buried Anns Hill Cemetery Gosport 7/2/1856 Plot 66 Unconcecreted ground (whatever that means) She is listed as a widow age 93! of North Street Gosport.
      Finally I also have the parish record of their marriage in 1789, although a bit difficult to read but readable!! If you would like these printouts, pm me your address and I will post them to you.
      Lesley

Rachel, Haven't forgotten your request for lookups. Hopefully will be able to go to Study Centre again at the end of the week. Unfortunately, they only hold records for Gosport/Alverstoke not Fareham
      Lesley

Comment

Thanks Lesley, that's wonderful stuff. Can't be 100% certain that is William, as not appearing on the censuses I can't really be sure how old he was, though has to be a pretty likely candidate. That is certainly Janes in any case, her and Williams children were all baptised in the High Street 'Independant' church, Gosport. Have no idea what denomination that indicates, but of course clearly not C of E, which no doubt explains the non consecrated burial!

Anyway thank you again Lesley, so kind of you to do these look ups, and it is certainly very much appreciated. The copies also would be fantastic, though hope its not putting you out to much, will PM my address, very happy to cover any postage costs etc.

Regards

Richard

Comment

Richard,
          I think the church in the High Street is Catholic. Or at least, the church there now is! I believe it's called St. Mary's.
          Lesley.

Comment

Hi again Lesley

Have been doing a bit of a googling and apparantly the Independent Church in Gosport is not the same place, it was Presbyterian/Calvinist group of protestant dissenters, who met up in a house on the high street, rather than having it's own consecrated chapel. So that solves that one from me. I suppose not having a 'church' as such they wouldn't have had a grave yard either, so were buried in the local cemetery in the unconsecrated patch!

Richard

Comment

Hi Lesley,

That is a very kind offer. My OH is looking for Sturdy in Alverstoke and I wonder if you have found any Sturdy during your researches?

Janet

Comment

Lesley, if you fall over any Trotmans in your travels, I'd be grateful. They are a very distant twig so please don't go looking specially.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Help would be much appreciated

Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                  Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Hants. Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
                  Lesley.
                  Hello Lesley, we would really appreciate any help you could give us discovering a birth for a William Samain/Semaine/Semain around 1800. On every census he gives his place of birth as Gosport - and the year would be 1800 or maybe a year either side. This is our one big sticking point, if only we could find out who his parents were it would then enable us to continue with the family tree. As all the family were living in the East End of London we can't imagine why he was born in Gosport. Many thanks - Val and George

Comment

Alverstoke/Gosport look ups

Janet Uncle John and Val and George. Will see what I can find for you all but please be patient as searching is time consuming and Rachels search is next on my list!! It may take a couple of weeks as there is only one decent fiche to use in the library and if someone is using it, it is a case of waiting.
                    Will do my best for you all
                    Lesley
                    Last edited by Punchs mum; 02-04-08, 09:02. Reason: missed out Gosport

Comment

Lesley,

Thanks for offering to help. I do realise that Family History, like Rome, was never built in one day, so take all the time you want. Thanks once again for offering to help. We know there is a John Sturdy from Alverstoke and wondered if there were any more.

Janet

Comment

Thankyou Lesley, living in Oz we are happy to wait as it isn't likely we shall get there ourselves. We are just so grateful there are people like you who are generous with their time, and willing to help other people. Cheers Val and George

Comment

Thank you Lesley. When I first discovered this lot (they upped sticks to Sunderland and had half their family there) I imagined Alverstoke to be rural!
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Alverstoke Look ups for Rachel./ Janet

Rachel. With regard to your Paffard/Pafford in Alverstoke, I think I came across every baptism record for the 11 children of Peter and Jane! I assume you have all their details. Your main interest was Joseph who was bapt. 8/11/1789son of Peter and Jane. There was a baptism of Joseph Pafford s/o Joseph and Alley on 15/1/1815. Alley Berry d/o Samuel and Ally bapt 26/10/1783.
                            Pafford/foot?.Ann Dougall d/o Mary by John!! Bapt. 24/1/1802. The majority of the fiches for around the 1800's are very pale and sometimes completely unreadable Hence the question marks. All these baptisms were Holy Trinity Church, Gosport.
                            Pafford. Maria d/o George and Mary bapt 8/4/1792
                            Pafford James s/o the above bapt.23/6/1793 Also Holy Trinity. Gosport

Burials. Alley Pafford abode. Southsea Age 54 buried H/T 29/1/1848
                            Joseph Pafford abode Portsmouth Age 67 buried 26/8/1849 H/T

Don't know if any of these could be yours Rachel. If they are and you would like the Parish Record printed out I am more than willing to do so for you.

Haven't forgotten the other look-ups requested...they are still on my'to do' list!

Janet. Marriage of John Sturdy to Harriet Barnes 5/4/1830 byBanns at Holy Trinity Church Gosport
                            witness Martha Bond or Pond and James Lear?

Marriage of Mary Ann Sturdy to Charles Potts 9/9/1834 at Alverstoke
                            witness Agnes Witchurch? and Thomas Witchurch? (not too clear)
                            Any connection to your Sturdys, Janet?

Lesley

Comment

Pafford lookup

Thankyou so much Lesley, l know reading those parish registers is not easy work. As l said any information on PAFFORD/ PAFFARD's in the Alverstoke area is very useful as l know they are all related but am stuck in the 1700s trying to work out exactly who fits in where. George; father of James and Maria is a mystery not sure how he fits in.
                              l did not have the burials of Jospeh and Alley so thats fantastic and interesting too; as they weren't living in Gosport l never realised they were buried there!! l am guessing Alley's age was wrong or hard to read as she should have been 64. Joseph l know was born in 1783 earler than his christening so that must be him. No need for the print out thanks for the offer though.
                              If you ever get a chance (l know you have a long list of requests) could you please look for burials at Alverstoke/ Gosport for:
                              Edward PAFFARD 16Oct1803
                              Amelia PAFFORD 13Feb1831
                              James PAFFORD 01Jan1832
                              l am trying to work out who they are so any ages relatives names etc. would be very useful.
                              THANKS AGAIN Rachel

Comment

Lesley,

Sorry not to have replied but only just picked these up today. Thank you very much for this information. The Mary Ann Sturdy and Charles Potts is definitely ours, but the John Sturdy marrying Harriet Barnes is new to us, but I am sure there is a connection. That has given me more food for thought, so thank you very much for the information and your time in looking.

Janet

Comment

Janet

If you would like the print out of the parish records, of the two marriages, just let me know. It won't be until next week though.

Lesley.

Comment

Lesley

A printout of the Sturdy Marriages would be very nice, but only if you have the time. Thanks again for your help.

Janet

Comment

Alverstoke lookups Val and George.

Sorry Val and George but had no Luck with your William Samain/Semaine/Semain b. around 1800 in Gosport. The best I could do was Seaman or Simmons. Mind you, as I said in a previous post, the micro fiches for the early 1800's are illegible in places and very faint in others.
                                      Don't know if you have a sub. on Ancestry but there is a public tree on there for William Semaine b. Gosport around 1800. They are also having problems with Williams parents and have listed 'unknown' on it. Apparently William died 5/6/1888.
                                      Will keep a look out for the name though whilst I am doing other searches.

Sorry I couldn't help. Lesley.

Comment

Re William Samain/Semain

Thanks so much Lesley for looking, he is a real conundrum this William Samain. Yes we do have a sub to Ancestry and GenesR and we have a Samain/Semain Research group going - about 5 of us. I am sure that one day we will 'crack the code' but at the moment we are all just playing the waiting game, not quite sure which way to go next. We really appreciate your help. Good luck with your own research - best wishes - Val and George

Comment

Alverstoke Look ups for Rachel./ Janet

Hi Again Rachel Have found burial records for 2 of the 3 Paffords/Paffards you were asking about. They are in Holy Trinity Gosport.

Amelia Pafford abode Gosport buried13/2/1831 aged 2 months
                                          James Pafford abode Gosport buried 1/1/1832 aged 5 years 7 months.
                                          No luck yet with finding Edwards burial.

Also I checked Hampshire Directory 1784 for Gosport and found the record of Samuel Berry, The Row-Barge, Beach. listed as you said under Victualler. I have printed off the page for you. I assume The Row-Barge was a public house as it is listed with all the other PH's in the area. Did enquire if they had any street maps of that era but they said not that early. There was a Beach Street in Gosport in the 1800's, It is possible it is that. Also listed in the same Directory is Peter Pafford. Painter, North street (Gosport). I assume he is one of yours as well. If you would pm me your address I will forward these prints outs on to you.

Janet, Have printed out the Parish Records of the two marriages for you. John Sturdy to Harriett Barnes and Mary Anne Sturdy to Charles Potts. Like Rachel, if you pm you address will send the copies on to you.

Lesley

Note for Uncle John. Have not come across any Trotmans yet!! Can you give me a rough idea of what time scale you are interested in!

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X