Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray,

That surprised me! I didn't for one minute think it was connected to you as there was no mention of any Whitcombs!!

To be honest I didn't notice if they both signed. I will take a look again when I am in town. Do you want a copy of the marriage cert. for your contact in Manchester? No problem at all.

I did see on the 1861 Census that Mary was in the Workhouse. I wonder if the Partons had connection to the Workhouse or do you think she was working somewhere. The address on the marriage cert. only gave Gosport, I did notice that.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

Firstly, yes please a copy of the marriage cert would be very welcome.

Secondly, another connected look up request! But please on this occasion do not spend too much time wearing your eyes out as the information to go on is very sketchy!
      The look up concerns the possible marriage of Sarah Goldie in Alverstoke. The only information I have to go on is a BMD index entry, or rather entries, for the last quarter of 1858 - and the names of the witnesses for Mary Ann's marriage. The witnesses were John & Sarah Parton. I did an 1871 census look up for the Parton name in Hampshire and guess what? Husband and wife living in Portsea, John a RA Gunner & Sarah born in Jamaica West Indies - Sarah Goldie was born in the West Indies!!! So was Sarah Mary's older sister!!!!!!!!! Next step was to find a possible marriage for a John Parton and Sarah Goldie, off to Free BMD. This is were, unusually, confusion reigned! There is a marriage for a Sarah Goldie, a George Arm??????? and a John Parton in Alverstoke Dec 1858 quarter. BUT there appears to be a problem on the original index, all three of these marriages have been added to the index sheet as an 'afterthought' literally between the lines of the otherwise well written document. This has made the transcribers task difficult as the writing is 'cramped' and not very legible, hence there is no definitive link between what would be the 4 names that typically would appear in the marriage certificate book.
      I strongly suspect that this is a 'smoking gun' pointing to John and Sarah's wedding, and also that this was a military chapel wedding? So if you could find a record in the RO, that would be great, but remember that back in 1858 a poor registry clerk seems also to have been confused, so don't try too hard!

By the way, although the name of George Arm was reasonably legible, there was virtually no one with the surname of Arm in the UK at the time, so we also have a possible spelling error on top of it all!!!!!

Good luck

Ray

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Could you possibly look up William Burgess and Elizabeth Watton(?) who were married at Alverstoke, Hants., on 5 October 1819

I would be interested in your interpretation of Elizabeth's surname which might be Wallon or Wotton or some other combination. Possibly one of the witnesses might have the same name and might be easier to read.

Michael
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

• Ray,
          There is a fourth name on the marriage for Q4 1858 it has the same ref. number as the other three 2b 772. It is a Harriet Kent, so hopefully she is the one who married George Arm. I did check out the 1861 Census for a Harriet Arm but couldn't find anything.

Hopefully a search of the Parish Register fiche will bring forth an answer this query!

Will get copy of the marriage cert. for Mary Ann and Thomas for you as well.

Can't say when it will be but rest assured ASAP as I am as intrigued as you now to see if it was Mary Ann's sister who Married John Parton!

Will be in touch Lesley
          Last edited by Punchs mum; 04-10-10, 19:01. Reason: date correction!

Comment

• Hello Michael

Will see what I can find for you when I am in the Study Centre next.

Please check back on this site though as I will let you know one way or the other if I have found anything for you.

Welcome to FTF as well!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi, I have just joined the forum and am interested to see that you do look ups in Alverstoke area. I am trying to find the names of my great great grandfather's parents. His name is George Sparks born 1826 Alverstoke. In 1841 census he is living with 2 brothers Henry Sparks b.1828 Alverstoke and Charles Sparks b.1832 Alverstoke and mother Mary Sparks b.1801 living at Forton House, Meon Stoke, Alverstoke. They may have been born in Forton. Could you look for a marriage for a Sparks for me around 1825 please or are there any male Sparks born around 1800 who may be the husband? Many thanks.

Comment

• Hello Sparkstree.

Family search pilot site show a George Sparks marriage to Amelia Giles in Alverstoke 23/10/1845 father William. Do you think this could be your George? If so will have a look at the marriage cert. and see what other information it gives.

Also, I have looked at the 1841 census for George, Henry and Charles and it looks like their mother was a widow. Is this what you see?

Lesley

Comment

• Hello Lesley,

Yes that's the one. George married Amelia Giles and went on to have 6 children. So he's a William! I wonder if there was an older brother called William as well. Yes please if you could look at marriage cert. it would be great. I haven't found Amelia Giles' parents either so hopefully her father is also mentioned.

I was confused with the 1841 census as it looked like the word 'widow' had been crossed out. Also, seeing the words 'Battle of Trafalgar' next to Forton House made me think he might have been in the Navy but I think it says 'tavern' after it!

Thank you so much for your help.

Dawn.

Comment

• Dawn.
                    Have you looked at the Family Search Pilot site? That is where I got the information re George Sparks marriage to Amelia Giles. It also says that Amelia's father was a William as well.

Will check out the marriage cert. though as it is possible sometimes that the witnesses give a few pointers.

Comment

• Dawn. There is an Amelia Giles christened 2/7/1815 Westbourne Sussex. Father William mother Elizabeth showing on the Family search site. Looks like they possibly had a total of 9 children all baptised in Westbourne Sussex!!

Was the only Amelia Giles I could find with a father William. Any chance this could be George Sparks wife?

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley,

Thank you. I don't think that's the right Amelia Giles as mine was born in 1824 Salisbury, Wiltshire. I will look in the Family Search Pilot site but, as I'm new to this, could you tell me where I look?

Dawn.

Comment

• Dawn.

www.familysearch.org is the site you want. Sorry but copy and paste is not one of my skills so Ihope you can access it OK!! If not just Google for it. If you 'click' on search a drop down menu appears and the pilot site is the second one down....'.Record search pilot.'

Have just had a look but cannot find any Amelia Giles in Wiltshire b.1824 though. You could try posting on the Research Board for some help.

Lesley

Comment

• Lookup for Sparkstree (Dawn)

See you are online so hope you see this!

Found the marriage cert. for George Sparks to Amelia Giles and can confirm that both their fathers are named William!!

The marriage was at St.Marys Alverstoke. William Sparks father was a Gardener and Amelia's father was a Basket maker (looks like!). Both parties signed their name and Emily Giles was a witness along with Thomas Lee (looks like) I have got a photocopy of the marriage cert. and if you would like me to scan/post it I will need your e mail address or home address. Don't put it on the thread, you can send me a Private Message.

Was not able to find a marriage for the parents of George but some of the fiches are very feint and not easy to read.

Didn't come across any more Sparks during my searches this afternoon.

Did you manage to find anything on the Family Search site?

Lesley

Comment

• Lookup for Webwiz

Hi Michael. Found the marriage cert. for William Burgess and Elizabeth and as you probably can imagine....it is very feint being in 1819!!

However the witnesses signature is quite clear and it looks more like Wallon to me. I cannot see the cross on what would be a T. The witness was William Wallon and the other I cannot read. He has only done a mark but the name is along side obviously written by someone else.

Have photocopied it if you would like it sent to you. Maybe you can then judge for yourself.

Lesley.

Comment

• Lookup for RayWhit.

Hi again Ray,

No luck for you I'm afraid. Could not find the marriage record for the elusive John Parton and Sarah Goldie. I am as disappointed as you must be as I was hoping for a result today! I checked the records of six different churches but nothing in 1858. Also, the BMD result is a mystery as well. I wonder if you sent to the GRO using the ref. no. 2b 772 if you would get a result from there?

Have copied the marriage cert for Thomas Ayling and Mary Ann Goldie and will scan it through to you later. In the mean time, yes Mary Ann Goldie did sign but Thomas only done a X. She obviouly learnt something in the House of Industry! The witnesses John and Sarah signed with a X!! She was the only literate one!

Regards Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Another 'Quasi' Whitcomb look up for you. You may recognise some of the names? but don't worry if not.
                                  I mentioned some time ago that a friend or relation of the Whitcomb family in Gosport circa 1870 was a certain Kate Snelling of 35 North Street Gosport. She referred to Thomas Whitcomb as her Uncle, but having looked for any common relative I now think that its 'Uncle' only in a 'notional' non related sense?

Kate married in 1868, and perhaps the parish certificate would cast more light on family??? The IGI data on the marriage is:

WILLIAM HILLMAN DOLING
                                  Marriages:
                                  Spouse: KATE MARTIN SNELLING
                                  Marriage: 20 MAY 1867 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

William is fairly easy to trace owing to the 'Hillman' in his name (like the car!!!), however various records, obviously of the same person / family, give the surname variously as Doling or Dowling. For instance the Hampshire Telegraph gives the name as Dowling whereas the IGI gives Doling!. It would be interesting to see the version on the certificate! Also the witnesses may have a few surprises, or not?

Lucky hunting!

Ray

Comment

• Morning Ray,

Will have a look for you as soon as I can.

Did you received the e mail I sent you re. my thoughts on the Parton/Goldie marriage. Sent yesterday.

Lesley

Comment

• Thank you for forwarding the Marriage Cert. I've discovered that Amelia Giles's family are all from Westbourne, Sussex not Salisbury and it appears she was 9 years older than she let everyone believe! I found a William Giles who was a basket maker and Emily Giles was Amelia's sister. Emily Giles married Thomas Lee on 17/8/1845 in Alverstoke. Could you please look for the marriage certificate for me as I'm curious to see who the witnesses were. Also another sister Martha Giles married James Guyett in Alverstoke 1844. Could you look out for that one too please?

Many thanks.
                                      Dawn.

Comment

• Hi Dawn

Will have a look for you a soon as I can

Lesley

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
                                          Morning Ray,

Will have a look for you as soon as I can.

Did you received the e mail I sent you re. my thoughts on the Parton/Goldie marriage. Sent yesterday.

Lesley
                                          Hi Lesley

Yes got the email Ok (and the paper copy). Registry offices? Yes that thought crossed my mind as well. As one gets towards the 1900's, and Church didn't play such a significant part in peoples lives, Parish records don't provide the the results that can be obtained for earlier years? Even in those 'earlier' I wonder if a family were not Church going how BMD would have been recorded, and if that's a reason for coming across so many 'brick walls'?

Thanks

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                          X