• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Lesley, You are a star.
    Ann E

Comment

• Look up for Ann E

Hi Ann That was a nice easy one to find! Here we go

Henry Snow of full age Bachelor Labourer of Gosport Father William Snow Labourer

married Louisa Snow of full age Spinster of Gosport No father/profession mentioned!!

Witness were William Snow
      Hannah Mason

Marriage was by banns at The Parish church Alverstoke......date you already know.

Have done a copy of the record if you want it. Not sure if I still have your e mail address though.

Looks like this one may pose more questions than answers!! Never seen a marriage cert. with no father mentioned on it! Have a birth cert. minus father's name but not a marriage one!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley,
        Thank you very much for that, you where very quick, this confirms what I thought,
        Louisa 1st Married John Snow 24 Jan 1841 at Carisbrook IOW, no father named for Louisa, his father William Lab, they several children all died but Henry, in 1847 her husband John died, then Louisa married his brother Henry in Alverstoke, This wasn’t strictly legal until the 1907 Marriage Act, so that is properly why they married in Alverstoke & not on the IOW
        They are in 1851 census No 19 Weeks Ryde IOW
        William H M 57 lab Arreton IOW
        Sarah W M 55 St Helens IOW
        Henry S M 30 Carisbrooke IOW
        Louisa D M 30 Shalfleet IOW
        Henry S - 9 Newport IOW [son of John & Louisa] *

This had me puzzled for a bit thank you for confirming things

Comment

• Hi Ann - excuse me for butting in! As father not named in the 1841 marriage, your Louisa could be Louisa James, chr. 18 Mar 1821, Shalfleet (IoW), mother Ann James of Calbourne and father William Arnold. This is also interesting as Louisa is a twin, with sister Susia (sic)

Comment

• Hi Bertie,
            Thank you very much for that, that is a big help.
            Ann

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchs mum View Post
              Anyone need any look-ups in Alverstoke/Gosport Our local Study Centre keep Parish Records for this area on microfiche. Am able to do searches of baptisms, marriages and burial records if anyone needs anything checked out. Let me know and I will see what I can do.
              Lesley.
              I have just logged in for the first time and don't really know how this works! I am looking for details of William McCullen who married Ellen Carter in Alverstoke in 1/29 and for his brother Albert McCullen who married Daisy Merrett in Alverstoke in 4/28. Ellen died in Gosport in 1/67 and Daisy in 3/64. There is another brother, Reginald, and a sister Helda, but I don't need details of them at the moment. I am particularly interested in knowing if either couple had any children. Are you able to help?
              Janet Jeffries

Comment

• Hello Janet

Welcome to FTF. My offer is to search the Baptism, marriage or burial records at our local Study Centre. I can probably find the marriage records of the people you are looking for but it won't give details of any children born to them.

If you look at the Free BMD site there is one child born to parents named McCullen, mother Carter in June/july/August 1933 but I am probably not allowed to name him as he could possibly be living and this site does not allow names of living persons.

Have not got time to look further at the moment, have to go out.

Let me know if you would like copies of any marriage certs or possibly burial records. Also, there may be a baptism for this child.

Lesley

Comment

• Many thanks for getting back to me. However, I think I may be missing something here - all I got was "Hello Janet Welcome to FTF. My offer is to search the Baptism, marriage or burial records at our local Study Centre. I can probably find the marriage records of the people you are looking for but... " - and I think there may have been more of the message but I couldn't find it anywhere!! Very confused now!! I've now found a child for William McCullen = John McCullen born June '33, but not any other children from either of them - but I may be wrong! I'm trying to find this information as I have recently found a 'new' brother who my mother and father had when they were 15, many years before they married. He was adopted in 1934 by a McCullen and I have narrowed it down to either William or Albert (Reginald was not married unitl 1938). As William seems to have had a child, I'm thinking it was probably Albert who adopted him. I have now met my adopted brother but, sadly he has severe learning difficulties and is in a home in Portsmouth. A lovely cheerful man (now 75), but with no memory of any family. If I could trace his parents, I could maybe see if he stayed with them from the electoral registers - a bit unlikely that he was ever registered, but I would love to know if he spent his whole life in care, or just until his mother died in the 60s. Social Services can find no history on him so no help there! All the family marriages and deaths seem to have been in Alverstoke/Gosport and this appears to be the only McCullen family (Helen, William, Helda, Albert and Reginald on the 1901 census, although they appear in Ireland at the time of the 1911 census - perhaps visiting relatives). I would really appreciate any help or advice you could give me - and especially any hints on picking up your messages!!
                  Janet

Comment

• Having sent the reply, the rest of your message appeared, so now I have it! So sorry! I suppose marriage records would give a place of residence, which might be helpful. I'm really just after the couple who adopted him, and I'm thinking that was Albert because A) the other brother had a child and B) my brother was born Keith Albert and, unusually, kept the same christian names after he was adopted, maybe because of the Albert being in common. So if I could get their marriage details that would be helpful. On the other hand, I was hoping to trace any relatives who may have a memory of him being adopted and I suppose that would have to be via John, so his birth details would be helful too. Is there a charge for this, and how do I get the money to you? I do appreciate your help. I live in Cardiff so having someone on the spot is great!
                    Janet

Comment

• Hello again Janet

What a sad story but how lucky you are to have traced your brother and to meet up with him even inspite of his health problems.

Unfortunately I do not have any experience of tracing adoptees but their is a Forum especially devoted to Adoption/reunion on this site. If you go to Forums and then scroll down you will find it. The people on that forum are very experienced and if you post what you know on there you may find someone with more advice on how to further you search re you brothers adoption. Please remember, though that your post may be edited by the moderators if you name any one who could be or is still alive. Private messaging comes in handy then for passing on the names of the living people to anyone who replies to you posting.

I will have a look to see if I can trace the marriage records for you when I am next in the Study Centre but it may not be until next week so come back on this thread again then. I will let you know one way or other if I find anything. There is no cost for looking and only 30p to print out so don't worry about that side of things! There may be some clues on the marriage certs if I can find them!

Don't know why you only got half of my message last time! Technical fault?? Hope you get this one OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Janet Jeffries View Post
                        I have just logged in for the first time and don't really know how this works! I am looking for details of William McCullen who married Ellen Carter in Alverstoke in 1/29 and for his brother Albert McCullen who married Daisy Merrett in Alverstoke in 4/28. Ellen died in Gosport in 1/67 and Daisy in 3/64. There is another brother, Reginald, and a sister Helda, but I don't need details of them at the moment. I am particularly interested in knowing if either couple had any children. Are you able to help?
                        Janet Jeffries
                        Many thanks. I think 'After Adoption' (the agency who traced my brother) have given me all the information that I am allowed to have. However, I will have a look at the site so thanks. Will look forward to hearing from you next week then.
                        Janet

Comment

• Janet. Made a flying visit in to Study Centre today. Only manage to find one marriage so far.

William Frederick McCullen age 32 Widower Skilled labourer 8 Harding Road Brockhurst father Joseph ALfred McCullen a Naval Pensioner

Ellen Maud Carter age 22 Spinster of 21 Drumla****? Terrace father Henry Carter Royal Marine Police

Married by banns at the Parish Church Elson (Gosport) on 26th January 1929

Witnesses H Carter and M Carter.

Don't know if this is of any help. Couldn't find the 1928 marriage for Albert to Daisy. Checked out 4 of the local churches but was pushed for time to search more today.

The chuch would have been St. Thomas's. Have got a photo copy if you want it.

Lesley

Comment

• Thank you so much for your efforts. I think I have all the details so don't bother with the photocopy.
                            Janet

Comment

• I've just sent you a reply to the private message (11.08 on 11th) but not sure if I did it right - let me know if you didn't get it!
                              Janet

Comment

• Janet,

Just to confirm that I have received your private message!

I think you will find that the BMD site is still an on going project and has therefore not yet reached the year that you were looking for! If you go on the home page of that site you can access a graph showing the progress of the transcriptions, it seems they are still working on the years 1930-49 and have a long way to go!

Glad you had success in finding the phone number you required. I would keep trying or like you say, drop the person a line. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....as the saying goes.

Just let me know if there is anything else you need from down this way.

Oh....and good luck with your course, that is how I started!

Lesley

Comment

• I must be getting better at this then! I tried leaving a message yesterday with D and will write to him if I don't hear anything within the next few days. I would still appreciate the details of the marriage of Albert and Daisy (Merrett) if you can find them - I have it in Alverstoke in 4/28. Also, if you could confirm he died in 2/64 and Daisy born on 20.8.1904 and died in 1991 - especially any extra details on her death certificate. I do believe this is the couple who adopted my brother so would like to find out as much as possible about them. I've got the phone book entry for Daisy in 1976 at St Ann's Crescent, Gosport. Would it be possible to find out from the electoral registers for that time if anyone else lived at that address with her?
                                  Thanks you for answering the question about the BMD - that explains why so much is missing!
                                  Janet

Comment

• Hello again Janet

Will see what I can find for you when I am in town next.

Unfortunately, Death certificates have to be ordered from the GRO or local registry office at a cost of £9.25. All I am able to seach is the burial records assuming that is, that it was a Burial and not a Cremation! Place of death is usually shown but sometimes that is a Hospital but there again, it may give an address. Also, if it is a burial, a plot number is given enabling a search for a headstone (assuming there is one) at the cemetery which may give more info. If you're lucky...that is! I love wandering round the local cemetery so that would be no problem.

Not sure that all Electoral rolls are kept at the Study Centre but will have a look for you.

Have you tried 192.com? There a a few McCullens in Gosport listed on there. There is a free people search.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi There , i'm looking for info on the names Gill and Neate of Alverstoke and Gosport. Kathleen Neate (c1908) married Thomas Gill (c 1908) and had 14 children between 1926 and 1944 some of which were born in Winchester we think?
                                      Kathleen and Thomas are my wifes grandparents of which very little is known as my wife and her mother moved to Birmingham around 1963ish and did not keep in contact with the family at all.

Any info would be fantastic Ian

Comment

• We did ring the study centre a couple of weeks ago and they told us that the electoral registers were there, but not sure how far back. Would be glad of any info you can find. We will be visiting my brother in mid October and hope to be able to have a browse in the study centre ourselves too.
                                        Have picked up the two BT phone numbers from 192.com but the other names just seem to be entries taken from the electoral register. There seems to be a way of using credits to find out more, but I'm not sure what that will give you - do you have any ideas?
                                        Janet
                                        PS Is Punch the tortoise?!

Comment

• Janet

Have checked Gosport Discovery Centres web site and it appears that Electoral Rolls are kept from 1972. Not sure though if they are on CD or Paper back. If you check their website you will see what else is available to search. The Study Centre staff are very helpful.

I have never bought credits on 192.com so I do not know what other information is available. Maybe someone else does.

Punch was my dog that is sadly no longer with us. Tishy is my 72 year old (at Least!) tortoise that I inherited from my parents who bought him when they were first married
                                          in 1938 from Woolworths. Tishy is older than me and now getting ready for his big sleep between about Oct. and March!

Will be in touch when I have anything for you.

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X