Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Lesley - have PM'd you

Comment

• Hi - Lesley thank you so much for looking up some Alverstoke records for me. It is very much appreciated.

Comment

• Hi, and thanks for your wonderful offer
        I am searching for more of the Wimpory/Wimpery family. I know that Jonathan Wimpory married Patty Diddams in Alverstoke on 25 Jun 1788. There children were variously born in Droxford, Portsmouth and London, so I don't know how stong their ties were to Alverstoke, but any help would be greatly appeciated.
        Peter Hyde
        South Australia

Comment

• Hello Peter. Welcome to FTF!!
          My offer is to check Parish Records for Baptism, Marriage and Burials which are available on Microfiche at the local Study Centre. If the children were born out of Alverstoke/Gosport area I am not able to help with baptism records etc. I cannot do a general search as it is too time consuming.

If during my searches I come across the names you are researching, I will certainly make a note of anything that may be of interest to you and let you know of anything I might find. Obviously as well, the records around the 1800's are more difficult to read and decipher!

Lesley

Comment

• I had a quick look here: http://www.knightroots.co.uk/ (the Hampshire OPC), but neither variant comes up on an initial search.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• Hello Lesley and Christine:
              I understand about difficult to read entries - I have done quite a few Norfolk parishes for FreeREG and one sometimes wonders quite what those vicars were doing in their spare time!
              In looking for the Wimpory family, particularly Jonathan, I have done all the usual searches and it is such an unusual name that I had expected to get further, but I have yet to find their 'home' parish.
              Regards
              Peter in South Australia
              13 degrees and rain

Comment

• Hi Peter - hopefully Lesley's kind offer to look up the marriage record will provide some additional information for you (the Knightroots records although good are only partially transcribed for Alverstoke). Have you seen the following?

Jonathon Wimpory married Eliz Dawson, St Phillip and St Jacobs, Bristol 29 Aug 1753 (Familysearch). All the early Lincoln Wimpery names? There's Wimpery 172 records on Familysearch.

However, perhaps of more interest is:

Document ref. no. MS 11936/463/895448 Insured: Jonathan Wimpory, 68 Fleet Street, boot and shoe maker. [Guildhall Library, Records of Sun Fire...]

Will of Jonathan Wimpory or Wimpey, Sergeant of Marines of the Hundredth and Twenty Fifth Regiment of Marines of Portsmouth Division now belonging to His Majesty's Ship Dublin, 08 September 1777. This is available to download at the National Archives site. This is perhaps a better clue why he was in the Area! The mention of the ship Dublin is another good clue if you can follow it up. For example you can get a hold of the Muster records for the ship and ID information about him - if you are lucky age, place of birth, but also previous vessel(s) served on - the only drawback is you have to go there in person, or get someone to go for you. Hope the will has some good information!

Comment

• Of course - you will proably know that one of their children Portia stayed in the area all her life as she died there Q2 1868 Portsea, age 67. It looks like William Henry died Q4 1867, Bethnal Green age 73 and George Diddums died in Q2 1878, Ormskirk age 83. So quite spread out! I take it you have the census records?

Comment

• There's also:

"On the opposite side of the Square was the shop of Jonathan Wimpory, the fashionable boot and shoe maker" - this from : http://www.archive.org/stream/remini...ggoog_djvu.txt

Baptisms of George Diddums' (shoemaker!) children in Manchester: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester...1826-1838.html

Comment

• The insurance policy above was taken out 8 Jul 1814. Interesting snippet here:

Saturday, March 21st, 1805

"Saturday about twenty journeymen shoemakers, in the service of Mr. Wimpory, of Coventry-street, underwent a long examination at the Police-Office, Marlborough-street, charged with having combined, in order to expel from the same employ a man who was an enemy to combination, and, in the vulgar phraseology of the trade, denominated a "Dung." -They applied to Mr.W. to discharge him, and on his refusal, struck. Mr.W. assembled them at a public-house in Bolsover-street, to remonstrate on the impropriety of their conduct, and exhort them to return to their work; but finding his endeavours to be fruitless, he called in several of the police officers, who were in waiting, and they were all taken into custody. Eighteen of them were sentenced to two months imprisonment, and the Magistrates declared their determination to punish like offences in the most exemplary manner"

see: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....MMar21805.html

Comment

• Peter.
                        Have checked Family Search and found that 4 of Jonathan and Patty's eight? children were, in fact, baptised in Holy Trinity Gosport. one in 1793 and three in 1801. Will have a look at the records for you and see if it throws up more information. Also, like Bertie has mentioned, there is a fair bit of information on the Census re the children of this couple. Portia can be seen as single but in some cases the name is mistranscribed as Wanpory!

Will also look at the marrage record. You never know, might be lucky.

Lesley

Comment

• Thanks Lesley
                          In fact I think there were 10 children:
                          Betsy 1789 b. Portsmouth
                          Patty Elizabeth 1791, Portsmouth
                          William Henry, 1793, Gosport
                          Stella, 1801, Gosport
                          Portia, 1801, Gosport
                          George Didemas/Diddams 1801, Gosport
                          ..these were all baptised on same date, probably different birth years
                          Arria, 1803, Droxford
                          Laura, 1804, Droxford
                          Cornelia, 1808, St James, Westminster
                          Maria, 1809, London

So, the Alverstoke connection seems to be only the marriage of Jonathan Wimpory and Patty Diddams in Jun 1788, yet Patty was born St Thomas, Portsmouth, so where the Alverstoke connection really is, I don't know - I was hoping it was Jonathan, about whom I havent found anything, whereas for Patty Diddams I do know that her father was Nicholas Diddams of Portsmouth.

Regards
                          Peter Hyde
                          in wet and windy South Australia

Comment

• Many thanks Bertie - you found a couple of threads that I had missed, particularly the shindig at Coventry Street! I will follow up on the Will

Regards
                            Peter

Comment

• Hi Peter - I don't know how much you alrady have about Diddums family, but Patty had several siblings chr. St. Thomas, Portsmouth. Father Nicholas married Ann Cooper 15 Apr 1755. Is your Nicholas father or son the one that was the master shipwright? If so...

1823: Probate lawsuit Bower and Radcliffe v Allcot, concerning the deceased Nicholas Diddams esq, master shipwright of HM Dockyard at Portsmouth, Hampshire. Allegation http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...CATID=-5463576

ONline will: 24 Mar 1823 Will of Nicholas Diddams, Master Shipwright of Portsmouth , Hampshire at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...Edoc_Id=150697

Comment

• Hi Peter.

Yes, you are right about the three children of Jonathan and Patty Wimpory baptised together having different birthdates! They were baptised at Holy Trinity, Gosport and the vicar kindly wrote in the dates of birth.

Stella born 26/8/1798. Portia born 25/10/1800 and George Didemas born. 18/2/1795. There was no birth date for William Henry.

Also, there is a marriage of a Lucy Diddams to William Harvey at Holy Trinity on 18/6/1788 with a Dorothy Diddams as a witness.

Then I found the marriage of Jonathan and Patty at St. Marys Alverstoke on 25/6/1788 with Dorothy Diddams and William Harvey as witnesses! There is obviously no father mentioned on Parish Records of that date. The record was not too clear but if you want a printout of it, let me know. I can scan it to you and you could see for yourself.

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley - thanks so much for extracting the C20 marriage details in Christ Church, Gosport for me (PM'd as less than 100 years ago). Your help is very much appreciated.

Comment

• Hello Ray,
                                    Honour Whitcomb nee Cutts married Thomas Whitcomb 6 Mar 1762 at Portsea. They had 9 children with Honour surviving her husband by 2 years and dying 27 Mar 1794. Their son, Thomas, b. 1764 married Sarah Scarlett and they had 9 children as well. Thomas died in 1809 in Westbourn, Alverstoke according to his obituary.
                                    Thomas Whitcomb Snr (1734-1792) was a brewer who did rather well and amassed a deal of property as his will shows. His son, Thomas Jnr (1764 - 1809) was a brandy merchant. His son, Thomas, was born 1786.
                                    I am happy to share further information with you if you are interested.
                                    Julia

Comment

• Hello Julia & Lesley

First, Lesley many thanks for alerting me to Julia's post.

Originally posted by cauncej View Post
                                      Hello Ray,
                                      Honour Whitcomb nee Cutts married Thomas Whitcomb 6 Mar 1762 at Portsea. They had 9 children with Honour surviving her husband by 2 years and dying 27 Mar 1794. Their son, Thomas, b. 1764 married Sarah Scarlett and they had 9 children as well.

Thanks, I was wondering about a DOD for Honor.

Thomas died in 1809 in Westbourn, Alverstoke according to his obituary.

Actually Westbourn is just across the Hampshire border in West Sussex. Thomas .jnr appears to have moved there from Gosport circa 1807. (When he retired?)

Thomas Whitcomb Snr (1734-1792) was a brewer who did rather well and amassed a deal of property as his will shows.

The Brewing business, then in the hands Son's Mark Anthony & James, went Bankrupt circa 1807. After that the Family appears to have split, some going to the Isle of Wight.

He also had a Brother, John Whitcomb, who lived near Hurst in Berkshire. John also appears to have been wealthy. I have not traced further back except that their Mother was an Elizabeth Childe, Father another John Whitcomb. I assume they were Farmers / Landowners????? Elizabeth's Father James Childe was a Hatter in Winchester, who also appears to have also had property interests.

I am happy to share further information with you if you are interested.

Yes Please, I'm very very interested to share any info.
                                      Julia
                                      Julia, do you have any connection with this Family? We seem to have gone down similar paths.
                                      My main interest is a certain George Whitcomb, born circa 1773 in Gosport. He is very definitely my 3g Grandfather. He married late in life, in 1819. I assume this was his second marriage. I suspect that George was the 6th Son of Thomas (the elder), this includes Thomas' eldest Son, John, who was born illegitimate. George lived into his 80's surviving to 1856, his wife Mary who was 20 Years his junior, died in 1875. George, in the 1841 Census was a Carpenter, and his wife Mary a school mistress. They do not appear to have had any 'residual' of the Whitcomb 'fortune'? But there are certain connections to the Licensed trade. For instance his Son Thomas was a publican for some time. Interestingly, looking at the Probate for Sarah Scarlett, she also appears to have spent any inheritance by the time of her Death in 1834.

Regards

Ray

Comment

• Hi Ray,
                                        I had filled out a large answer to you but then the screen went blank and the homepage came up. Don't know if it was the computer, cyberspace or me! I have a lot to share with you and many questions to ask. Please contact me on cauncej@hotkey.net.au and we can go from there.
                                        Cheers
                                        Julia

Comment

• hi i am looking for the marriage of john bridger and jane stanbrook transcribed as staubrook on the igi alverstoke 17 july 1826. name of either parents or witnesses. thank you margaret

Comment

Working...
                                          X