Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesley

Wow, what was going on!?
    (Just for your amusement and information)

WILLIAM WHITCOMBE FLOWERS
    Birth: 07 MAY 1796
    Christening: 28 AUG 1812 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire, England
    Parents:
    Mother: SARAH FLOWERS

JAMES WHITCOMBE
    Marriages:
    Spouse: SARAH FLOWERS
    Marriage: 04 NOV 1804 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England

FREDERICK HUNT WHITCOMB
    Christening: 25 OCT 1804 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Parents:
    Father: JAMES WHITCOMB
    Mother: SARAH

and which James?

JAMES CHILDE WHITCOMB
    Christening: 01 MAR 1767 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Father: THOMAS WHITCOMB Family
    Mother: HONOUR

JAMES (Childs) WHITCOMB
    Marriages:
    Spouse: ELIZABETH DAVISON POLLISFIN
    Marriage: 03 SEP 1786 Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

or his Son

JAMES CHILDS WHITCOMB
    Christening: 03 JUN 1790 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Mother: ELIZABETH

siblings;_

CHARLOTTE WHITCOMB
    Christening: 27 APR 1787 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Mother: ELIS.

ROBERT WHITCOMB
    Christening: 14 JAN 1793 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Parents:

HENRY WHITCOMB
    Christening: 10 JUN 1796 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Parents:

and who also!!!!????

EDWARD WHITCOMB
    Christening: 18 OCT 1800 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
    Parents:
    Mother: SARAH

This is better than 'Coronation Street'!
    But perhaps some IGI dates are mis-transcribed?

I'm now looking at some Wills at the Hampshire Records Office, hope to get some further progress?

Ray

Comment

• Well Ray.........What else can I say except Good Luck!! The Whitcombs give me a headache and they are not even mine !! LOL!

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Lesley

I'd be very grateful if you could look up the baptism for -

George Cook abt 1783 Gosport
        Also a married for the same George to Keturah Breach abt. 1812-1815

Many thanks - Teresa

Comment

• Hi Teresa. Will have a look when I am in town next. Do you know if he was definately baptised and married in Gosport/Alverstoke? I ask because there a quiete a few church records to look through which are difficult to read for those dates.

Update!
          Have just checked the 1851/61/71 Census and they all say that both of them were born in Dorking! Can you clarify this for me please.

Lesley
          Last edited by Punchs mum; 12-04-10, 11:03. Reason: added to post

Comment

• Hi Lesley

I think you have found a different George Cook! On the 1841 he is living in Eastbourne with Keturah (Postmaster) - born in county, but I can't find him born Eastbourne. On the 1851 living Eastbourne, he states birth place as Gosport, Hampshire, died 1857.

If you do have the time I'd be grateful if you could just look for the birth around 1783, children all born Eastbourne so maybe married there.

Many thanks again - Teresa

Comment

• Hi again

Just realised why you didn't find him on the census. 1841 transcribed as Coop and 1851 Coock!!!!!! It's a wonder we every find anyone!

Kind regards - Teresa

Comment

• Hi Teresa. See what you mean!!

Will check out the baptism records for you when I am in town next.

Lesley

Comment

• hi lesley, i was wondering if you look up the marriage of thomas gadd to mary white on 11 mat 1810, at st mary's portsea. i got it from the igi. not too sure its my man, because his wife was christiana mary white, and she was ch. in chichester, he in graffham. but thats the marriage the family has for them.

kyle

Comment

• Hi Kyle, Sorry but i don't do Portsmouth Look=ups. I only do Alverstoke/Gosport. I know Portsmouth is only a 15 mins. Ferry crossing away but I did not find the Record Office there very co-operative or friendly the only time I went there!!

Lesley

Comment

• sorry lesley, i should have read the places you could look into too!

Comment

• Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        sorry lesley, i should have read the places you could look into too!
                        Winchester has the fiches for Portsea, too. I know, because I've seen them there. Perhaps you can find someone who can get to Winchester?

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

• possibly christine. its not urgent. more like an interest in why this marriage is said to be the marriage.

Comment

• Lookup for Terrianne

Hi Teresa.

Checked out the baptisms for your George Cook yesterday but unfortunately had no luck.

Checked out the two biggest and oldest churches in the area and the only Cooks I found were Mary-ann d/o Philip and Elizabeth in July 1778 (difficult to read that one!)
                            and Jane d/o Edward and Margaret Aug.1781

Sorry I can't help anymore.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi Lesley

Thank you for taking the time to look for George Cook. I will keep a note of the Cook's you have found in case they slot into place in the future.

Regards - Teresa

Comment

• Lesley

Have been busy reading some Wills from the Hampshire Records Office! All written in a 'cursive' hand - very time consuming!
                                Consequently some further look ups for your delight!

These are all dates of Death / Burial:--
                                (hopefully there may be an age in the record?)

1) Sarah Whitcomb. Her Will / Probate states her Death as 3/2/1834.

2) Thomas Whitcomb - Husband of the above Sarah - Died between 1804 and 1809. At the time he had moved 'across the border' to Westbourne, so possibly he was Buried there??? However it is still worthwhile looking in Gosport as he lived there most of his life and all his Children were Baptised there.

3) Honor Whitcomb. She could have been the first Wife of the above Thomas???? Certainly she was married to 'A' Thomas Whitcombe in Gosport - and had 8 of his Children. I would estimate her demise at around 1780?

Ray

Comment

• Hello again Ray,

Thought you had made me redundant as I haven't heard from you lately!!

Will see what I can find for you and will be in touch. I still haven't made it to Pompey records Office but still have your list to hand!!

Lesley

Comment

• Whitcombs Lookup for RayWhit

Well Ray, Only one result for you I am afraid. In spite of the Study Centre claiming to have Micrfiche Records for burials at Holy Trinity from 1696 I found that they started in 1790! Then they were hit and miss as to whether they could be read!

Hence I was unable to find any info regarding Honor Whitcom d.1780 or Thomas Whitcomb d1804-9. Also, I found that records from that date only stated the name of the deceased and the date of Burial. No other information was included.

I did find the burial of Sarah Whitcomb on 3/2/1834 buried at Holy Trinity Churchyard Aged 67 Abode Hardway. No other information available on the fiche.

Sorry I couldn't help any further.

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

Not a bad result, at least I have confirmation of Sarah's age plus her last location (Hardway)

However I'm now very interested to find the dates associated with Thomas Whitcomb her Husband. As I mentioned I've the Wills of both of them, from the Hampshire Records Office, and these confirm several points. First that Thomas was a Wine & Sprits merchant at the time of writing his Will, also he was very well off financially! Sarah's Will confirms that the said Thomas was indeed her Husband - from Children's names.

However were there two Thomas's or just one?

Senario 1:

Thomas born circa 1740 died age 67 circa 1807 having 'Retired' circa 1805 from his Wine & Sprits business. This 'single Thomas would have been married twice, his first Wife, Honor, having died circa 1780.

Senario 2:

Two Thomas's. First one the same as above, date of death unknown. Second Thomas his Son baptised 15/6/1764 (IGI date) Married Sarah Scarlet 24 Sep 1785 (IGI date). Died circa 1807 a very wealthy man, age 45.

Senario 3:

Totally different Thomas. This seems unlikely as some of the Children (Mark Anthony Whitcomb & James Childs Whitcomb) of the first Thomas were heavily involved in business (Brewing) at similar addresses in Gosport. Unfortunately they suffered Bankruptcy, useful for us researchers though as it 'throws up' more documentation & newspaper content!

In my 'web surfing' I came across this site / page which also mentions Thomas Whitcomb as a Gosport Worthy!

Interestingly enough the researcher is in the same 'quandary' as me, is there more than one Thomas!!!!!!?????

Confused

Ray

Comment

• Ray,

Your Whitcombs are elusive aren't they and also very interesting amd totally confusing with so many family sharing the same christian names! Had a quick look at the link you posted but will have a better look later when I have more time.

Have you contacted the other researcher at all?

Lesley

Comment

• Lesley

I have now contacted the researcher on said link I gave you. He replied that he did have some further info', and he would contact me later as time permits.

I have now fully transcribed Thomas Whitcomb's Will. photo obtained from Hampshire Archives. It does confirm the names of his Children, and I presume that he did die soon after the will was written as his last Daughter does not appear on it, however his Wife's Will (Sarah) does mention her - plus the others. Sarah survived Thomas by about 27 Years. By the way the 'reading of the Will, circa 1805, was very time consuming as the writing is not as we know it!! i.e. Mummy would look like uuuuuy !!! (I believe this style is referred to as Minims) Also the text is 'fundamental' Legalese, so it really needs a 'Legal Brain' to get the 'said meaning heretofore said and thereof' etc etc!!!

Names? Well yes they did recycle a lot, but on the other hand there are a few 'anomalies' like Mark Anthony Whitcomb plus one of his Sons again a Mark Anthony Whitcomb - On the IGI these are about the only Mark Whitcomb's anywhere! I'm now on the track of various John Whitcomb's, who appear to have had a profound financial impact on the early Family. The earliest one I'm looking into lived in London & Hurst in Berkshire - yes two dwellings - and had leasehold? on farmlands in Berks. He might have been Thomas's Uncle, mentioned in the Will, certainly the Berkshire "Estate' did appear in Mark Anthony's Bankruptcy 'assets' one eight part to be exact.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                          X