Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEDLEY Emily c1864

Can someone please help me!

I have been trying for some while now to find Emily Hedley. I have her marriage certificate which states....

Emily Hedley 19 Spinster - Daniel McCue 28 Black Smith. Marriage took place 23 April 1883 Middlesborough Register Office. Her Father was James Hedley, deceased, Joiner. Witnesses Bernard McCue and A Hedley.

On the Census 1891 RG12; Piece: 4011; Folio 85; Page 19; it shows her place of birth is Lancashire, Manchester.

At one point I thought I had found her (before I received Marriage details) parents John and Martha but someone on GR mailed to say that I had the wrong Emily, as this one was their own family line! :o

Can anyone help in my hour of need please
    Glenda

Do you have them on any other census?

this them on the 1901:

Class: RG13; Piece: 4578; Folio: 54; Page: 4.

States Daniel as married but no wife present. (but with daughters)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have been trying to find her birth ref, but nothing is coming up except Emily Florence Hedley 1859 ( and she is the daughter of John and Martha)
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

yep, same here Vikki...

maybe lancsBMD might have something different?

either that or she was telling porkies about where she was born?
        Julie

Comment

And maybe when she may have been younger, I wonder who A Hedley was? Brother, Sister, Mother????
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

mmm annoying isnt it? when they just initial it? (she says, is the same on her marriage cert... pmsl)
            Julie

Comment

If you can't find a birth or baptism, perhaps Emily was born with a different surname?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

But if she was 19 when she married (or said she was 19) she would have needed parental consent. As her father was dead, perhaps A Hedley was in loco parentis - possibly her mother or an uncle or older brother?

Comment

Cannot find any likely female Hedley/Headley births on Freebmd. Nearest is a Hannah Hedley born Chorlton Marq 1865.

Comment

Can't find a likely James Hedley in Lancashire in 1861 either.
                    Something is incorrect somewhere!

Comment

I've found a James Hedley who is a joiner in Middlesbrough on the 1871 census:
                      James Hedley Head Mar 30 Joiner Yorks Middlesbro
                      Rebecca Do Wife Mar 26 Do Newby
                      Alice Jane do Daur 6 mo Do Middlesbro

Reference:
                      RG10; Piece: 4896; Folio: 83; Page: 39
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

He is still in Middlesbrough with Rebecca in 1881 and they have a daughter Annie L age 2 but Alice isn't with them (I was hoping Alice would turn out to be A Hedley - well, maybe she still will!)
                        There is a James Hedley death in Mar 1883 age 43 which could be him, but it is in Guisbro' district.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

No, that James is still alive in 1891. Bit of a coincidence, though, don't you think, with him being a joiner and all? I wonder if he could be Emily's brother.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Well done KiteRunner. Wondering why James the joiner, born Middlesboro and in Middlesboro 1871 (and whose daughter marries Middlesboro 1883) was in Manchester 1864ish - or at least, his wife was?

Maybe A Hedley was Alice who was a bridesmaid. The puzzle is why Emily isn't with the family.

Comment

In 1861 James's parents are John and Ann, age 52 and 50 respectively, and I'm getting confused!
                              KiteRunner

Comment

A James Hedley married Rebecca Bainbridge Stockton Mar 1864.
                                Is Stockton near Middlesboro? My northern geography isn't very good!

Comment

Possible marriages for James and Rebecca are James Hedley / Rebecca Bainbridge at Stockton Mar 1864 and James Dodds Hedley / Rebecca Colpitts at Newcastle T Jun 1863. In either case, it is just about possible that Emily was born before the marriage, but what Manchester has to do with it I still can't see.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Ooh, the IGI has the Bainbridge marriage: James Hedley married Rebecca Bainbridge 15 Mar 1864 Middlesbrough (extracted record).
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

And Rebecca Bainbridge on the 1861 census is born Newby, Yorkshire, so we have definitely found the marriage, but whether these are Emily's parents or not is still to be established!! Rebecca is in Crathorne, Yorkshire, in 1861, not Manchester.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

I know, KiteRunner, the more you find the more excited you get, but we are still not any further forward really.

I suspect that Emily was illegitimate and that she took her stepfather's surname, but without having a definite mother's name to go on, we can't sort it.

I have a couple of instances of this in my family tree and a right tangle they are. Two stepchildren use stepfather's name (or are lumped with it by enumerator). One married with correct surname and one kept the stepfather's name. Of course the mother remarried again after stepfather's death just so I couldn't find her on the census!

Comment

Working...
                                        X