HEDLEY Emily c1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KiteRunner

Well that all sounds very straightforward, lol!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

But why would Emily say her father's name was James if it was Henry (or Richard)!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Glenda if I can help you at all with Boro(Middlesbrough ) just let me know dear ;;;;where I live ;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          But why would Emily say her father's name was James if it was Henry (or Richard)!
          That's what is still puzzling me, Nell. I suppose it's possible that her biological father was James Hedley but Sophia let Richard think he was the father? Or Emily just made up a father who was a mish-mash of various "fathers" she had known over her life? But remember that Emily's daughter Alice McCue is with her aunts and uncles on one of the censuses, so at least that proves that Emily who married Daniel McCue is the Emily who was Sophia's daughter.

I'm wondering whether James Hedley could be Henry's brother? I'll have a look later.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Goodness I think I have started something here!

I have found a James Hedley on Census 1861 Class: RG9; Piece: 3446; Folio: 36; Page: 7; But there is no Henry! I did find a 'tree' on ancestry, have I already said this!! They, seem to think that this is the family that belongs to Emily Hedley as they also have her married to Daniel McCue BUT, there are too many inconsistencies here I think! What are your thoughts?
            Glenda

Comment

I don't think that James Hedley in Settleborough (near Barnsley) is the one, and he is a Linen Bleacher so unlikely to be a joiner later. I haven't looked at the tree on ancestry yet - there are so many different avenues to follow with this one, aren't there? By the way, I am thinking that the marriage witness A Hedley is probably Emily's younger sister Ann - listed as Ann Bowman age 16 in 1881, but if Emily was calling herself Hedley when she got married then Ann may well have been too. I don't think I've found Sophia in 1871 yet, so let's see what they are calling themselves then...
              KiteRunner

Comment

Okay, this is Sophia and family in 1871, but Sophia is going by her middle name Ann and using her maiden name of Fawcett! She seems to have had one or two more children that haven't appeared on other censuses, and Thomas isn't with them...

RG10; Piece: 4897; Folio: 37; Page: 17
                39 Lime St, Linthorpe (Middlesbrough), Yorkshire
                Ann Fawcett Head W 39 Yorkshire Richmond
                Mary Do Daur 14 Lancashire Manchester
                Emily Do Daur 9 do do
                Annie Do Daur 7 do do
                Lilly Do Daur 6 do do
                Louise Do Daur 3 do do
                KiteRunner

Comment

As for the trees on ancestry, I don't think they are right. There is very little info on them, for instance, no info about Emily's mother or any of Emily's children except for Catherine. As I said before, we know that Sophia Fawcett's daughter Emily is the right one because of the fact that on the 1891 census Emily's daughter Alice McCue is with Louisa and her husband plus Sarah, Susannah, and James Bowman and it says Alice is Louisa's niece.

Now, I haven't looked to see what happened to Sophia after 1881 yet and also there are those extra children she has on the 1871 to sort out... for instance, where was Mary in 1861?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Okay, I've found Mary in 1861 and she is listed as Hedly, so that's something:
                    RG9; Piece: 3674; Folio: 14; Page: 21
                    Market Place, Richmond, Yorkshire:
                    James Fawcett Head Mar 54 Watch Maker Yorkshire Richmond
                    Sarah Do Wife Mar 51 Do Do
                    Margaret Do Daur Un 15 Scholar Do Do
                    Henrietta Do Daur 13 Scholar Do Do
                    John Do Son 11 Scholar Do Do
                    Thomas Do Son 10 Scholar Do Do
                    Mary Hedly Grand Daur 3 Scholar Do Do
                    KiteRunner

Comment

And Emily's younger sister Ann(ie) turns out to be a Martha Ann and to have used the surname Hedley when she got married as well.
                      1891 census, RG12; Piece: 4006; Folio 91; Page 21
                      Middlesbrough
                      George Canwell Head M 27 Miner... Yorks York
                      Martha A Do Wife M 26 do Richmond
                      Walter Do Son 6 Do Middlesbrough
                      George Do Son 4 Do Do
                      Albert Do Son 2 Do Do
                      Sophia A Do Daur 2 wk Do Do
                      Sophia Bowman Mother in Law Wid 60 Do Richmond

Marriage Mar 1887 George Henry Canwell / Martha Anne Hedley, Chorlton 8c 957.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

In 1901 Sophia is calling herself Headley and visiting her son in West Hartlepool:
                        James F Bowman Head M 24 Labourer, Blast Furnace Yorkshire Middlesbro'
                        Hannah Do Wife M 25 Durham West Hartlepool
                        Walter Canwell Nephew 17 Labourer Blast Furnace Yorkshire Middlesbro'
                        Ann S Headley Visitor Wid 70 Do Richmond

I've found a baptism for a son of John C Hopley and Louisa, but still not managed to find their marriage if there was one.
                        Charles Lawrence Hopley born 21 Dec 1893, christened 29 Mar 1894 West Hartlepool, Musgrave Street Wesleyan Methodist, Durham, father John Charles Hopley, mother Louisa.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Okay, I found the Hopleys in 1901 and I see the husband is calling himself Charles J Hopley on there rather than John C Hopley, so I've managed to find their marriage, and Louisa was calling herself Hedley when she got married too:
                          Mar 1890 Charles Hopley / Louisa Hedley, Chorlton 8c 993.

As for whether James Hedley was really Emily's father, or if Henry Hedley was, or Richard Welch, you might want to get the marriage certificate for Sophia Fawcett and Henry Hedley to see what details are given for Henry because I can't work out who he was (possibly James using a different name?!), plus you might want to get the Emily Welch birth certificate that I mentioned somewhere on this thread - although of course even if it says Richard Welch was her father on the cert it might not be true.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner, thank you so very much for all you have researched! You must have some patience. I know I would never have found Emily's background under those circumstances.

I will send for the marriage cert plus the Birth one for Emily Welch, if anything comes of it I will let you know

Once again THANK YOU and of course all those other people that have chipped in!
                            Glenda

Comment

My maternal grandmother Jessie Cronin (1900-1927) was daughter of Emily Hedley Welch. Don't know much about her (Jessie) but have always wanted a photo to see what she was like. Was wondering if anyone might have one of her or her family. I know lots a long shot as this thread is very old. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X