No announcement yet.

HEDLEY Emily c1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an Emily Bainbridge age 7 at Anlaby, Yorkshire in 1871 visiting James and Mary Bainbridge. But her birthplace is Sunderland, Durham.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you one and all - now I know it's not me 'going round the twist'!

A descendent of Daniel and Emily have her married to someone else by census 1901 but I haven't found that connection as of yet, but then it's out of the 'family' line i'm tracing!
      Glenda

Comment

I've just been given the following, Census 1861 a James Hedley, Settleborough, Lancs c1840 Class: RG9; Piece: 3446; Folio: 36; Page: 7 but he is a ????? Bleacher! This comes from someone else also trying to trace the Hedley's It could be a good match for James, father of Emily but, I now can't trace them back further or find them after 1861. Really starting to become a headache and confusing, don't you think!?
        Glenda

Comment

Okay, that Alice Jane Hedley I found can't be the A. Hedley who was the marriage witness because she died in 1880.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by belgiumbird View Post
            Thank you one and all - now I know it's not me 'going round the twist'!

A descendent of Daniel and Emily have her married to someone else by census 1901 but I haven't found that connection as of yet, but then it's out of the 'family' line i'm tracing!

Glenda, who do they say she is married to in 1901? Daniel is still alive then and listed as married, with daughters Alice 18, Sophia 17, Catherine 7 and Sally 5 but his wife isn't with them.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Ok! They have her with a John Cronin c1862 Middlesborough. There are children Jessie 1899 and Emily 1906

Found them on Census 1901 Class: RG13; Piece: 4742; Folio: 192; Page: 41. I personally not sure on this one but having said that they do have a long list of descendents from the child Emily on their tree on Genes!!!
              Glenda

Comment

Ooh, ooh, well, I'll look at that one in a minute, but I've finally found a Manchester link! That daughter Alice who isn't with them in 1891 is actually in Salford with some people from Middlesbrough!

Louisa Hopley Head M 23 Waitress Retired Darlington Durham
                John C Do Husband M 35 Grocers Assistant Lancashire Liverpool
                Sarah E Bowman(?) Sister S 19 Upholstress Yorkshire Middlesbro
                Susanah E Do Sister S 17 Waitress West Hartlepool
                James F Do Brother 12 Errand Boy Middlesbro
                Alice M M McCue Niece 8 Do
                John H Hopwood Boarder S 38 Clerk Lancashire Salford
                RG12; Piece: 3229; Folio 58; Page 11

Hmmm, that's an interesting lot to get to work on!
                Last edited by KiteRunner; 25-02-08, 08:12.
                KiteRunner

Comment

So this must be Emily in 1881, in Middlesbrough (No 3 Shakespeare St):
                  John Bowman Head Mar 53 Engineman at Steelworks Northumberland Newcastle
                  Sophia Do Wife Mar 50 Yorkshire Richmond
                  Emily Do Daur Unm 18 Lancastershire Manchester
                  Ann Bowman Daur Unm 16 Lancashire Manchester
                  Louisa Do Daur 13 Do Do
                  Sarah Do Daur 10 Yorkshire Middlesbro
                  Susannah Do Daur 8 Do Do
                  James Do Son 4 Do Do
                  Thomas Fawcett Lodger Unm 28 General Labourer Do Richmond
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Errrrr, 'interesting lot to get to work on' you said! That's an understatment :-)

So here goes the Hopley and the Bowmans LOL

Back to Emily again - no where can I find a marriage to J Cronin. whoops!
                    Glenda

Comment

Oh, this is one of those puzzles that just keeps going on! There is a possible marriage in Sep 1871 in Stockton district between John Vicars Bowman and Sophia Wash! I was so sure she would be Sophia Hedley! Back in a little while...
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Errrrr, 'interesting lot to get to work on' you said! That's an understatment :-)

So here goes the Hopley and the Bowmans LOL

Back to Emily again - no where can I find a marriage to J Cronin. whoops!

Sorry, I had a quick look at the Cronins, but if it is the same Emily (giving her birthplace as Middlesbrough) then her husband Daniel was still alive, so I don't suppose she would have officially married John Cronin. But I'm working on the Bowman bit just now...
                        KiteRunner

Comment

John C Hopley might be John Cross Hopley whose birth was registered Jun 1862 West Derby, but guess what? I can't find his marriage to Louisa to see what surname she used.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

No surprise there then - what was up with these people!

Just found on Ancestry under their Public Members Tree, someone has built up Emily Hedley's tree! They give her dob as 1862 which is all very well but I still can't find her on the BMD's They do have more on James Hedley but how correct is it, methinks!

I can see this is going to turn out like my Gr Grandfathers first wife. She didn't appear to exist before their first child was born then died giving birth to their second. Thank goodness I came from his second marriage otherwise I may not exist!! LOL
                            Glenda

Comment

Okay, Sarah was born after John Bowman's marriage to Sophia - Sarah Elizabeth Bowman birth reg Sep 1871 Stockton. And James was James Fawcett Bowman, birth reg Jun 1877 Middlesbro. Not much help, I know, but it's something!
                              KiteRunner

Comment

I think I may have found Sophia in 1861 with a husband Richard Walch or Welch - they have a lodger James Fawcett with them so it looks likely. Sorry, got to get off the computer just now, back later.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Just found on Ancestry under their Public Members Tree, someone has built up Emily Hedley's tree! They give her dob as 1862 which is all very well but I still can't find her on the BMD's
                                  Could she be Emily Fox Bainbridge b. Mar Qtr 1864, Sculcoates?

Comment

Lyn, it doesn't look as though Rebecca Bainbridge was her mother after all. It looks as though Sophia was her mother but not found a link between Sophia and James Hedley yet...
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

This is that 1861 entry I mentioned earlier:
                                      RG9; Piece: 2874; Folio: 121; Page: 9
                                      Lancashire - Rusholme - 2 Derby Place
                                      Richard Welch Head Mar 21 (or 31?) Joiner Durham Staindrop
                                      Sophia Ann Do Wife Mar 27 Yorkshire Richmond
                                      Thomas Do Son 1 mo Lancaster Manchester
                                      James Fawcett Lodger Un 24 Saddler Yorkshire Richmond
                                      William Do Do Do 22 Coachbuilder Do Do

In 1851 Sophia is a Fawcett:
                                      HO107; Piece: 2381; Folio: 143; Page: 16
                                      Yorkshire - Richmond - Market Place
                                      James Fawcett Head Mar 43 Clock & Watchmaker Yorkshire Richmond
                                      Sarah Do Wife Mar 41 Do Do
                                      Sophia Ann Do Daughter U 18 Dressmaker & Seamstress Do Do
                                      (plus loads of brothers and sisters, can't be bothered to type them all up!)

There is a possible marriage Sep 1857 in Stockton district for Sophia Ann Fawcett to a Henry Hedley. I can't see it on Family Search to check.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

BUT, I have found these two christenings on Family Search, both are "extracted" IGI records:
                                        Thomas Welch christened 27 Oct 1861 St James, Birch in Rusholme, Lancashire, parents Richard Welch and Sophia
                                        Emily Welch christened 29 Mar 1863 St James, Birch in Rusholme, Lancashire, parents Richard Welch and Sophia.

So, I think this is the same Emily. I have managed to find that marriage on the Tees Valley BMD site - 1857, Sophia A Fawcett married Henry Hedley. So if Sophia didn't actually marry Richard Welch, I suppose her surname was still legally Hedley when Emily was born. But it doesn't look as though her birth was registered as Hedley - there is a birth registration for an Emily Welch Dec 1862 Chorlton district 8c 500 which looks very likely to be her.

So why does she call herself Emily Hedley when she marries? It looks to me as though Sophia was born Sophia Ann Fawcett, married Henry Hedley, then either Henry died or they split up, Sophia lived with Richard Welch but maybe didn't actually marry him, they had Thomas and Emily, perhaps Ann and Louisa, or maybe they had (a) different father(s), then Sophia married John Vicars Bowman and they had Sarah, Susannah and James. They must have got confused with all the different surnames, that's for sure!

As for whether it is the same Emily who is with John Cronin in 1901, I suppose Jessie's birth certificate would help - does your contact have it, and if so, what does it give for Emily's previous surname(s)?
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Just to set your geography right as regards Middlesbrough , I was born North Ormesby but it was registered under Ormesby so Guisborough office , but if you go further along road the the other way on Stockton Rd then you came under Stocketon and sometimes Co Durham ;;;oh by the way I know some Cronins ;;;lol
                                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                          X